Simultaneous measurement of temperature and strain using multi-core fiber (MCF) with an in-line cascaded symmetrical ellipsoidal fiber balls structure of Mach-Zehnder interferometer (MZI) is presented. The sensor is fabricated by using an ordinary fusion apparatus. The thermo-coupling effect is realized through Germanium (Ge)-doped central and hexagonal distributed outer cores of MCF. A high-quality transmission spectrum is obtained with a fringe visibility of 12-15 dB and higher extinction ratio. The sensor exhibits superior mechanical strength compared with the fragile structures, such as tapered, etched, misaligned and offset fibers. The temperature sensitivity of 137.6 pm/°C and 68.1 pm/°C in the range of 20-90°C, and the strain sensitivity of -0.42 pm/με and -1.19 pm/με in the range of 0-801 με are obtained, when probe ``L'' is 40 mm and 20 mm, respectively. Simultaneous measurement of temperature and strain can be achieved by solving the coefficient matrix and tracing the wavelength shifts in the interference spectrum. Besides, the sensor has many advantages, such as high sensitivity, easy fabrication, simple structure, being stable and inexpensive, which may find potential applications in the field of optical sensing.
Muhammad Aqueel Ashraf,
Lashari Ghulam Abbas,
"Simultaneous Measurement of Temperature and Strain Using Multi-Core Fiber Within-Line Cascaded Symmetrical Ellipsoidal Fiber Balls-Based Mach-Zehnder Interferometer Structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 112, 21-34, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21021002
1. Li, S., A. Liu, Z. Yang, L. Zhao, J. Wang, F. Liu, R. You, J. He, C. Wang, X. Yan, and P. Sun, "Design and preparation of the WO3 hollow spheres@ PANI conducting films for room temperature flexible NH3 sensing device," Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, Vol. 289, 252-259, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.snb.2019.03.073
2. Dusablon, L., V. Fortin, T. Boilard, M. Bernier, P. Galarneau, F. Babin, and R. Vallee, "High resolution temperature sensor based on frequency beating between twin DFB fiber lasers," Optics Express, Vol. 28, No. 18, 26067-26075, 2020. doi:10.1364/OE.395949
3. Paixao, T., F. Araujo, and P. Antunes, "High-resolution strain and temperature Fabry-Perot interferometer sensor based on Vernier effect and produced by a femtosecond laser," Seventh European Workshop on Optical Fibre Sensors, Vol. 11199, 111992U, August 2019.
4. Chen, Y., B. Lu, Y. Chen, and X. Feng, "Ultra-thin and ultra-flexible temperature/strain sensor with CNT nanostrips," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Electron Devices and Solid-State Circuits (EDSSC), 70-73, August 2016. doi:10.1109/EDSSC.2016.7785212
5. Zhao, T., S. Lou, X. Wang, W. Zhang, and Y. Wang, "Simultaneous measurement of curvature, strain and temperature using a twin-core photonic crystal fiber-based sensor," Sensors, Vol. 18, No. 7, 2145, 2018. doi:10.3390/s18072145
6. Mumtaz, F., Y. Dai, and M. A. Ashraf, "Inter-cross de-modulated refractive index and temperature sensor by an etched Multi-core fiber of a MZI structure," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 38, No. 24, 6948-6953, December 15, 2020. doi:10.1109/JLT.2020.3014857
7. Zhao, Z., M. Tang, S. Fu, S. Liu, H. Wei, Y. Cheng, W. Tong, P. P. Shum, and D. Liu, "All-solid multi-core fiber-based multipath Mach-Zehnder interferometer for temperature sensing," Applied Physics B, Vol. 112, No. 4, 491-497, 2013. doi:10.1007/s00340-013-5634-8
8. Lu, Y., C. Shen, C. Zhong, D. Chen, X. Dong, and J. Cai, "Refractive index and temperature sensor based on double-pass M-Z interferometer with an FBG," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 26, No. 11, 1124-1127, 2014. doi:10.1109/LPT.2014.2315804
9. Mumtaz, F., P. Cheng, C. Li, S. Cheng, C. Du, M. Yang, Y. Dai, and W. Hu, "A design of taper-like etched multicore fiber refractive index-insensitive a temperature highly sensitive Mach-Zehnder interferometer," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 20, No. 13, 7074-7081, July 2020. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2020.2978533
10. Kaur, G. and R. S. Kaler, "Nanohybrid optical sensor for simultaneous measurements of strain, temperature, and vibration for civil application," Micro & Nano Letters, Vol. 13, No. 1, 1-3, 2018. doi:10.1049/mnl.2017.0216
11. Tan, J., G. Feng, J. Liang, and S. Zhang, "Optical fiber temperature sensor based on dumbbell-shaped Mach-Zehnder interferometer," Optical Engineering, Vol. 57, No. 1, 017112, 2018. doi:10.1117/1.OE.57.1.017112
12. Wang, Q., H. Meng, X. Fan, M. Zhou, F. Liu, C. Liu, Z. Wei, F. Wang, and C. Tan, "Optical fiber temperature sensor based on a Mach-Zehnder interferometer with single-mode-thin-core-single-mode fiber structure," Review of Scientific Instruments, Vol. 91, No. 1, 015006, 2020. doi:10.1063/1.5128485
13. Huang, B., S. Xiong, Z. Chen, S. Zhu, H. Zhang, X. Huang, Y. Feng, S. Gao, S. Chen, W. Liu, and Z. Li, "In-fiber Mach-Zehnder interferometer exploiting a micro-cavity for strain and temperature simultaneous measurement," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, No. 14, 5632-5638, July 15, 2019. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2019.2906243
14. Li, W. W. and D. N. Wang, "Femtosecond laser inscribed straight waveguide in no-core fiber for in-line Mach-Zehnder interferometer construction," Optics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 14, 3405-3408, 2018. doi:10.1364/OL.43.003405
15. Yang, J., S. Wang, X. Chen, X. Zou, Y. Liu, R. Lin, Y. Wang, and Y. Chenl, "Optical fiber Mach-Zehnder interferometric strain sensor basedon concatenating two micro cavities fabricated by a femtosecond laser," 2019 IEEE 10th International Conference on Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (ICMAE), 533-538, Brussels, Belgium, 2019.
16. Liang, H., W. Zhang, H. Wang, P. Geng, S. Zhang, S. Gao, C. Yang, and J. Li, "Fiber in-line Mach-Zehnder interferometer based on near-elliptical core photonic crystal fiber for temperature and strain sensing," Optics Letters, Vol. 38, No. 20, 4019-4022, 2013. doi:10.1364/OL.38.004019
17. Zhao, Y., X. Li, L. Cai, and Y. Zhang, "Measurement of RI and temperature using composite interferometer with hollow-core fiber and photonic crystal fiber," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 65, No. 11, 2631-2636, November 2016. doi:10.1109/TIM.2016.2584390
18. Han, B., Y. N. Zhang, E. Siyu, X. Wang, D. Yang, T. Wang, K. Lu, and F. Wang, "Simultaneous measurement of temperature and strain based on dual SPR effect in PCF," Optics & Laser Technology, Vol. 113, 46-51, 2019. doi:10.1016/j.optlastec.2018.12.010
19. Wang, G., Y. Lu, X. Yang, L. Duan, and J. Yao, "Square-lattice alcohol-filled photonic crystal fiber temperature sensor based on a Sagnac interferometer," Applied Optics, Vol. 58, No. 8, 2132-2136, 2019. doi:10.1364/AO.58.002132
20. Zhan, X., Y. Liu, M. Tang, L. Ma, R.Wang, L. Duan, L. Gan, C. Yang, W. Tong, S. Fu, and D. Liu, "Few-mode multicore fiber enabled integrated Mach-Zehnder interferometers for temperature and strain discrimination," Optics Express, Vol. 26, No. 12, 15332-15342, 2018. doi:10.1364/OE.26.015332
21. Wu, D., T. Zhu, K. S. Chiang, and M. Deng, "All single-mode fiber Mach-Zehnder interferometer based on two peanut-shape structures," Journal of Lightwave Technology, Vol. 30, No. 5, 805-810, 2012. doi:10.1109/JLT.2011.2182498
22. Wu, D., T. Zhu, D. W. Duan, K. S. Chiang, and M. Deng, "In-line single-mode fiber interferometers based on peanut-shape fiber structure," Proc. SPIE 8421, OFS2012 22nd International Conference on Optical Fiber Sensors, 84217N, November 7, 2012.
23. Sun, B., Y. Huang, S. Liu, C. Wang, J. He, C. Liao, G. Yin, J. Zhao, Y. Liu, J. Tang, and J. Zhou, "Asymmetrical in-fiber Mach-Zehnder interferometer for curvature measurement," Optics Express, Vol. 23, No. 11, 14596-14602, 2015. doi:10.1364/OE.23.014596
24. Yu, F., P. Xue, X. Zhao, and J. Zheng, "Simultaneous measurement of refractive index and temperature based on a peanut-shape structure in-line fiber Mach-Zehnder interferometer," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 19, No. 3, 950-955, 2018. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2018.2880265
25. Rao, Y. J., "In-fibre Bragg grating sensors," Meas. Sci. Technol., Vol. 8, 355-375, April 1997.
26. Wang, X., D. Chen, H. Li, G. Feng, and J. Yang, "In-line Mach-Zehnder interferometric sensor based on a seven-core optical fiber," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 17, No. 1, 100-104, 2016. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2016.2613018
27. Li, L., L. Xia, Z. Xie, and D. Liu, "All-fiber Mach-Zehnder interferometers for sensing applications," Optics Express, Vol. 20, No. 10, 11109-11120, 2012. doi:10.1364/OE.20.011109
28. Xia, C., M. A. Eftekhar, R. A. Correa, J. E. Antonio-Lopez, A. Schulzgen, D. Christodoulides, and G. Li, "Supermodes in coupled multi-core waveguide structures," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics, Vol. 22, No. 2, 196-207, Art No. 4401212, March–April 2016 . doi:10.1109/JSTQE.2015.2479158
29. Lu, P., L. Men, K. Sooley, and Q. Chen, "Tapered fiber Mach-Zehnder interferometer for simultaneous measurement of refractive index and temperature," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 94, No. 13, 131110, 2009. doi:10.1063/1.3115029
30. Villatoro, J., O. Arrizabalaga, G. Durana, et al. "Accurate strain sensing based on super-mode interference in strongly coupled multi-core optical fibres," Sci. Rep., 7, article No. 4451, June 30, 2017.
31. Her, S.-C. and C.-Y. Tsai, "Strain measurement of fiber optic sensor surface bonding on host material," Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China, Vol. 19, s143-s149, 2009. doi:10.1016/S1003-6326(10)60262-2
32. Frazao, O., S. O. Silva, J. M. Baptista, J. L. Santos, G. Statkiewicz-Barabach, W. Urbanczyk, and J. Wojcik, "Simultaneous measurement of multiparameters using a Sagnac interferometer with polarization maintaining side-hole fiber," Applied Optics, Vol. 47, No. 27, 4841-4848, 2008. doi:10.1364/AO.47.004841