This paper presents a free-space reflection measurement technique for estimating dielectric constant and loss tangent of different materials, demonstrated for rock samples, at S-band. The method is non-contact as well as non-invasive, which is used to characterize the electromagnetic properties of different materials (in our case, rock samples) at S-band in a non-anechoic chamber environment. The technique involves measurement of reflected signals (S11 data from Vector Network Analyzer) from the material under test (MUT) as well as for the surroundings. By taking the inverse-Fourier Transform of S11 data, the impulse-response corresponding to the reflected power from the MUT can be estimated. The proposed scheme overcomes the portability issue as well as the requirement of an anechoic environment. The measurement system consists of a single antenna (centered at 2.5 GHz), rock samples (i.e. material under test (MUT)), a perfectly conducting plate and a mounting fixture. By processing and analyzing the reflection coefficient data, the values of dielectric constant and loss tangent are calculated using the proposed algorithms which take care of clutter removal as well. The technique is validated using the estimated values of rock samples corresponding to their composition values available in the literature and found to be in good agreement. Estimation of dielectric properties of rock samples will be used to validate algorithms for science studies using SAR data of Chandrayaan-2 and other planetary missions. Hence, this measurement process will play a key role towards understanding of surface composition and features of the planetary bodies.
Dharmendra Kumar Pandey,
"An Improvised Non-Invasive Method with Clutter Removal for Dielectric Characterization of Terrestrial Rock Samples at S-Band Frequency," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 112, 179-192, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21021004
1. Prakash, A., J. K. Vaid, and A. Mansingh, "Measurement of dielectric parameters at microwave frequencies by cavity perturbation technique," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 27, No. 9, 791-795, Sep. 1979. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1979.1129731
2. Orlob, C., T. Reinecke, E. Denicke, B. Geck, and I. Rolfes, "Compact unfocused antenna setup for X-band free-space dielectric measurements based on line-network calibration method," IEEE Transactions on Instruments and Measurement, Vol. 62, No. 7, 1982-1989, Jul. 2013. doi:10.1109/TIM.2013.2246905
3. Jha, A. and M. J. Akhtar, "A generalized rectangular cavity approach for determination of complex permittivity of materials," IEEE Transactions on Instruments and Measurement, Vol. 63, No. 11, 2632-2641, Nov. 2014. doi:10.1109/TIM.2014.2313415
4. Akhtar, Z. and M. J. Akhtar, "Free-space time domain position insensitive technique for simultaneous measurement of complex permittivity and thickness of lossy dielectric," IEEE Transactions on Instruments and Measurement, Vol. 65, No. 10, 2394-2405, Oct. 2016. doi:10.1109/TIM.2016.2581398
5. Webb, W. E. and R. H. Church, "Measurement of dielectric properties of minerals at microwave frequencies," Report by United States, Department of the Interior, 1986.
6. Akhtar, M. J., L. Feher, and M. Thumm, "Measurement of dielectric constant and loss tangent of epoxy resins using a waveguide approach," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Society, 3179-3182, 2006. doi:10.1109/APS.2006.1711286
7. Kumar, S. B., U. Raveendranath, P. Mohanan, K. T. Mathew, M. Hajian, and L. P. Ligthart, "A simple free-space method for measuring the complex permittivity of single and compound dielectric materials," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 26, No. 2, 117-119, Jul. 2000. doi:10.1002/1098-2760(20000720)26:2<117::AID-MOP14>3.0.CO;2-I
8. Ghodgaonkar, D. K., V. V. Varadan, and V. K. Varadan, "A free-space method for measurement of dielectric constants and loss tangents at microwave frequencies," IEEE Transactions on Instruments and Measurement, Vol. 37, No. 3, 789-793, Jun. 1989. doi:10.1109/19.32194
9. Skocik, P. and P. Neumann, "Measurement of complex permittivity in free-space," 25th DAAAM International Symposium on Intelligent Manufacturing and Automation, 100-104, 2014.
10. Courtney, C. C., "Time-domain measurement of the electromagnetic properties of materials," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 46, No. 5, 517-522, May 1998. doi:10.1109/22.668650
11. Singh, R. P., M. P. Singh, and T. Lal, "Laboratory measurement of dielectric constant and loss tangent of Indian rock samples," Annals of Geophysics, 121-140, Jun. 1980.
12. Bapna, P. C. and S. Joshi, "Measurement of dielectric properties of various marble stones of Mewar region of Rajasthan at X-band microwave frequencies," International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology, Vol. 2, 180-186, Jan. 2013.
13. Gupta, S. L., Z. Akhtar, M. Bhaskar, and M. J. Akhtar, "A novel half space time-domain measurement technique for one dimensional microwave imaging," IEEE ARFTG Conference, 2014.
14. Gupta, S. L., Z. Akhtar, M. Bhaskar, and M. J. Akhtar, "Qualitative analysis of moisture content in cement based material using microwave non-destructive testing," IEEE APS Conference, 924-925, 2014.
15. Hasar, U. C., "Unique permittivity determination of low-loss dielectric materials from transmission measurements at microwave frequencie," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 31-46, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10060805
16. Barman, B., Z. Akhtar, and M. J. Akhtar, "Microwave testing of cement based material," International Microwave and RF Conference, Dec. 14–16, 2013.
17. Goncalves, F. J. F., A. G. M. Pinto, R. C. Mesquita, E. J. Silva, and A. Brancaccio, "Free-space material characterization by reflection and transmission measurements using frequency-by-frequency and multi-frequency algorithms," Electronics, Vol. 7, 260, 2018. doi:10.3390/electronics7100260
18. Hasar, U. C., "Non-destructive testing of hardened cement specimens at microwave frequencies using a simple free-space method," NDT & E International Journal, 550-557, Elsevier, 2009.
19. Lasri, T., D. Glay, L. Achrait, A. Mamoni, and Y. Leriy, "Microwave methods and systems for nondestructive control," Subsurface Sensing Technol. Appl., 141-160, 2000. doi:10.1023/A:1010130911805
20. Singh, J. and P. K. Singh, "Studies of the dielectric constant of Indian rocks and minerals and some other materials," Pure and Applied Geophysics, Vol. 135, No. 4, 601-610, Jan. 1991. doi:10.1007/BF01772409
22. Mohammed, M., A. Sharafati, N. Al-Ansari, and Z. M. Yaseen, "“Shallow foundation settlement quantification: Application of hybridized adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system model," Advances in Civil Engineering, , article ID 7381617, 2020.
23. Postorino, M. N. and M. Versaci, "A geometric fuzzy-based approach for airport clustering," Advances in Fuzzy Systems, article ID 201243, 2014.
24. Zubaidi, S. L., H. Al-Bugharbee, S. O. Martorell, S. K. Gharghan, I. Olier, K. S. Hashim, N. S. S. Al-Bdairi, and P. Kot, "A novel methodology for prediction urban water demand by wavelet denoising and adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system approach," Water Journal, Vol. 12, No. 6, 1628, 2020. doi:10.3390/w12061628