The manuscript presents a log-periodic microstrip antenna with a defective ground structure (LPMADGS). The antenna is simulated, designed, and validated for C-band applications. The design of the antenna consists of three layers with upper most layer consisting of log-periodic, copper patches with a thickness of 0.035 mm; the middle layer is a 2 mm thick dielectric layer of FR-4 substrate; and the bottom layer is a defected ground structure (concentric ring resonators of 0.035 mm thickness). The suggested antenna design is simulated with a complete ground plane, without ground plane, and with a defective ground plane. The proposed antenna with optimized design is fabricated by wet etched method. The simulated results are approximately similar to the experimentally measured results. The experimentally measured results show transmission peaks at 7.65 GHz and 7.90 GHz. The resonating effect of log-periodic patches with a defected ground structure results in wide-band of 0.91 GHz (-10 dB bandwidth). The proposed antenna structure exhibits a wide bandwidth transmission which mostly resonates in frequency range that lies in C-band. It has future applications for mobile as well as wireless communication.
Kunal Krishna Upadhyay,
"Wide-Band Log-Periodic Microstrip Antenna with Defected Ground Structure for C-Band Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 112, 127-137, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21031106
1. Gupta, S. D. and M. C. Srivastava, "Design of frequency agile multidielectric microstrip antenna for airborne applications," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology (IJMOT), Vol. 5, 257-266, 2010.
2. Wu, J., J. Yu, and Q. Tao, "Design of a missile-borne conformal microstrip navigation antenna," MATEC Web of Conferences, Vol. 232, 04080, 2018. doi:10.1051/matecconf/201823204080
3. Jan, J. Y. and J. W. Su, "Bandwidth enhancement of a printed wide-slot antenna with a rotated slot," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 2111-2114, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.848518
4. Liu, Y. F., K. L. Lau, Q. Xue, and C. H. Chen, "Experimental studies of printed wide-slot antenna for wide-band applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, 273-275, 2004. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2004.837510
5. Chen, W. S. and K. Y. Ku, "Band-rejected design of printed open slot antenna for WLAN/WiMAX operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 4, 1163-1169, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.919192
6. Chattha, H. T., M. Hanif, X. Yang, Q. H. Abbasi, and I. E. Rana, "Frequency reconfigurable patch antenna for 4G LTE application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 69, 1-13, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18022101
7. Khattak, M. I., A. Sohail, U. Khan, Z. Ullah, and G. Witjaksono, "Elliptical slot circular patch antenna array with dual band behaviour for future 5G mobile communication networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 89, 133-147, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC18101401
8. Alieldin, A., Y. Huang, S. J. Boyes, and M. Stanley, "A reconfigurable broadband dual-mode dual-polarized antenna for sectorial/omnidirectional mobile base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 163, 1-13, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIER18050206
9. Alqadami, A. S. M., M. F. Jamlos, I. Islam, P. J. Soh, R. Mamat, K. A. Khairi, and A. Narbudowicz, "Multi-band antenna array based on double negative metamaterial for multi automotive applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 159, 27-37, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIER16091203
10. Naik, K. K. and P. A. Vijaya Sri, "Design of hexadecagon circular patch antenna with DGS at Ku band for satellite communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 63, 163-173, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM17092205
11. Selvi, N. T., R. Pandeeswari, and P. N. T. Selvan, "An inset-fed rectangular microstrip patch antenna with multiple split ring resonator loading for WLAN and RF-ID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 81, 41-52, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC17110102
12. Saroj, A. K., M. G. Siddiqui, M. Kumar, and J. Ansari, "Design of multiband quad-rectangular shaped microstrip antenna for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 59, 213-221, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17071003
13. Jabar, A. A. S. A. and D. K. Naji, "Design of miniaturized quad-band dual-arm spiral patch antenna for RFID, WLAN and WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 91, 97-113, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19011706
14. Khajepour, S., M. S. Ghaffarian, and G. Moradi, "Design of novel multiband folded printed quadrifilar helical antenna for GPS/WLAN applications," IEEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, No. 2, 58-60, 2017. doi:10.1049/el.2016.3889
15. Sun, X., G. Zeng, H.-C. Yang, Y. Li, X.-J. Liao, and L. Wang, "Design of an edge-fed quad-band slot antenna for GPS/WiMAX/WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 28, 111-120, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERL11080407
16. Yu, J., Y. Sun, H. Zhu, F. Li, and Y. Fang, "Stacked-patch dual-band & dual-polarized antenna with broadband baluns for WiMAX & WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 68, 41-52, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM18022501
17. Liu, C. S., C. N. Chiu, and S. M. Deng, "A compact disc-slit monopole antenna for mobile devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 251-254, 2008.
18. Kumar, H. and G. Kumar, "A broadband planar modified quasi-Yagi using log-periodic antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 73, 23-30, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL17102005
19. Dykaar, D. R., B. I. Greene, J. F. Federici, A. F. J. Levi, L. N. Pfeiffer, and R. F. Kopf, "Log-periodic antennas for pulsed terahertz radiation," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 59, 262, 1991. doi:10.1063/1.105615
20. Haraz, O. M., "Millimeter-wave printed dipole array antenna loaded with a low-cost dielectric lens for high-gain applications," Journal of Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 41, No. 3, 225-244, 2020. doi:10.1007/s10762-019-00654-5
21. Haraz, O. M., A. R. Sebak, and S. Alshebeili, "Study the effect of using low-cost dielectric lenses with printed log-periodic dipole antennas for millimeter-wave applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2015, 1-7, 2015. doi:10.1155/2015/209430
22. Haraz, O. M., S. A. Alshebeili, and A.-R. Sebak, "Low-cost high gain printed log-periodic dipole array antenna with dielectric lenses for V-band applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 6, 541-552, 2015. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2014.0319
23. Hasan, M. M., M. R. I. Faruque, and M. T. Islam, "Dual band metamaterial antenna for LTE/Bluetooth/WiMAX system," Scientific Reports (Nature), Vol. 8, No. 1240, 1-17, 2018.
24. Kushwaha, N. and R. Kumar, "An UWB fractal antenna with defected ground structure and Swastika shape electromagnetic band gap," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 52, 383-403, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERB13051509
25. Agrawal, A., M. Misra, and A. Singh, "Oblique incidence and polarization insensitive multiband metamaterial absorber with quad paired concentric continuous ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 60, 33-46, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERM17061302
26. Milligan, T. A., Modern Antenna Design, 2nd Edition, John Wiley & Sons Inc., IEEE Press, New Jersey, 2005. doi:10.1002/0471720615
27. Anguera, J., C. Punte, and C. Borja, "A procedure to design stacked microstrip patch antennas based on a simple network model," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 30, 149-151, 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1248
28. Jain, S. K. and S. Jain, "Performance analysis of coaxial fed stacked patch antennas," Frequenz Journal of RF-Engineering and Telecommunication, Vol. 68, No. 1–2, 7-18, 2014.
29. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite medium with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Physics Review Letters], Vol. 84, No. 10, 4184-4187, 1999.
30. Ha, J., K. Kwon, Y. Lee, and J. Choi, "Hybrid mode wideband patch antenna loaded with a planar metamaterial unit cell," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 1143-1147, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173114