In this article, a novel Hexagonal Split-Ring Resonator enclosed Circular Split-Ring Resonator (HSRR-CSRR) inspired printed antenna is presented for sub-6 GHz 5G NR and IEEE 802.11ba/be applications. The proposed antenna comprises an HSRR-CSRR and a D-SHSRR metamaterial unit cell with a partial ground plane. The designed antenna is printed on a low-cost FR-4 substrate with dielectric constant εr of 4.4, thickness of 1.6 mm, and loss tangent of 0.02. An HSRR-CSRR metamaterial structure is designed to get the three distinct resonance frequencies at 3.5 GHz, 5.05 GHz, and 6.2 GHz, respectively. To cover the entire band of Sub-6 GHz 5G NR (5-6 GHz), a Double-slit Single Hexagonal Split Ring Resonator (D-SHSRR) is designed for 5.8 GHz and loaded along with the HSRR-CSRR. The operating principle, equivalent circuit, and parametric extraction of the HSRR-CSRR structure are examined. Compared to the conventional antenna, the proposed antenna has a compact size of (0.38λg×0.52λg×0.03λg). The antenna parameters have been investigated using Ansys HFSS 15.0 software. The measured and simulated results are in good agreement.
"Hexagonal Split Ring Resonator Enclosed Circular Split Ring Resonator Inspired Dual-Band Antenna for Sub-6 GHz
5G NR and IEEE 802.11ba/Be Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 115, 1-15, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21070504
1. Marcus, M. J., "5G and `IMT for 2020 and beyond' [spectrum policy and regulatory issues]," IEEE Wireless Communication, Vol. 22, No. 4, 2-3, Aug. 2015. doi:10.1109/MWC.2015.7224717
3. Shankland, S., "Wi-Fi 6 is barely here, but Wi-Fi 7 is already on the way --- With improvements to Wi-Fi 6 and its successor, Qualcomm is working to boost speeds and overcome congestion on wireless networks," CNET, Retrieved Aug. 20, 2020.
4. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials: Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, 1st Ed., Wiley-IEEE Press, Hoboken, NJ, ISBN-10: 0471669857, 2006.
5. Marque's, R, F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, Metamaterials with Negative Parameters: Theory, Design and Microwave Applications, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, ISBN: 978-0-471-74582-2, 2007. doi:10.1002/9780470191736
6. Gunavathi, N. and D. Sriram Kumar, "Miniaturized unilateral coplanar waveguide-fed asymmetric planar antenna with reduced radiation hazards for 802.11ac application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 2, 337-342, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29599
7. Gunavathi, N. and D. Sriram Kumar, "CPW-fed monopole antenna with reduced radiation hazards towards human head using metallic thin-wire mesh for 802.11ac application," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 11, 2684-2687, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29411
8. Gunavathi, N. and D. Sriram Kumar, "Estimation of resonant frequency and bandwidth of compact unilateral coplanar waveguide-fed ag shaped monopole antennas using artificial neural network," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 2, 337-342, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.28838
9. Hu, J. R. and J. S. Li, "Compact microstrip antennas using CSRR structure ground plane," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 1, 117-120, 2014. doi:10.1002/mop.28023
10. Chaturvedi, D. and S. Raghava, "A compact metamaterial inspired antenna for WBAN applications," Wireless Personal Communication, Vol. 105, 1449-1460, 2019. doi:10.1007/s11277-019-06153-z
11. Imaculate Rosaline, S. and S. Raghavan, "Metamaterial inspired split ring monopole antenna for WLAN applications," ACES Express Journal, Vol. 1, No. 5, 2016.
12.. Rajalakshmi, P. and N. Gunavathi, "Gain enhancement of cross-shaped patch antenna for IEEE 802.11ax Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 80, 91-99, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18091401
13. Garg, P. and P. Jain, "Design and analysis of a metamaterial inspired dual-band antenna for WLAN applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, 2019.
14. Samson Daniel, R., R. Pandeeswari, and S. Raghavan, "A Compact metamaterial loaded monopole antenna with offset-fed microstrip line for wireless applications," International Journal of Electronics and Communication (AEU), Vol. 83, 88-94, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2017.08.030
15. Wu, K., Y. Huang, R. Wen, J. Li, and G. Wen, "Comparison analysis of single loop resonator-based miniaturized triple-band planar monopole antennas," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2015.
16. Lajevardi, M. E. and M. Kamyab, "Ultra miniaturized metamaterial --- Inspired SIW textile antenna for off-body applications," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 3155-3158, 2017. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2017.2766201
17. Si, L. M., Q. L. Zhang, W. D. Hu, W. H. Yu, et al. "A uniplanar triple-band dipole antenna using complementary capacitively-loaded loop," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 743-746, 2015. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2396907
18. Li, K., C. Zhu, L. Li, Y. M. Cai, and C. H. Liang, "Design of electrically small metamaterial antenna with ELC and EBG loading," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 678-681, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2264099
19. Ameen, M. and R. K. Chaudhary, "Dual-layer and dual-polarized metamaterial inspired antenna using circular --- Complementary split ring resonator mushroom and metasurface for wireless applications," International Journal of Electronics and Communication (AEU), Vol. 113, 152977, 2019.
20. Rajalakshmi, P. and N. Gunavathi, "Compact complementary folded triangle split ring resonator triband mobile handset planar antenna for voice and Wi-Fi applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 91, 253-264, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC19021806
21. Rajalakshmi, P. and N. Gunavathi, "Compact modified hexagonal spiral resonator-based tri-band patch antenna with octagonal slot for Wi-Fi/WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 106, 77-87, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC20081803
22. Rajabloo, H., V. A. Kooshki, and H. Oraizi, "Compact microstrip fractal Koch slot antenna with ELC coupling load for triple band applications," International Journal of Electronics and Communication (AEU), Vol. 73, 144-149, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2016.12.027
23. Si, L.-M. and X. Lv, "CPW-fed multiband omnidirectional planar microstrip antenna using metamaterial resonators for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 83, 133-146, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08050404
24. Xi, L., H. Zhai, and L. Li, "A compact low profile dual-polarized filtering antenna with metamaterial for wide-band base station applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, 64-69, 2017.
25. Dong, Y., H. Toyao, and T. Itoh, "Compact circularly-polarized patch antenna loaded with metamaterial structures," IEEE Transactions on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 11, 4329-4333, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2164223
26. Nasimuddin, N., Z. N. Chen, and X. Qing, "Bandwidth enhancement of a single-feed circularly polarized antenna using a metasurface: Metamaterial-based wide-band circularly polarized rectangular microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 58, No. 2, 58-46, 2016. doi:10.1109/MAP.2016.2520257
27. Joshi, A. and R. Singhal, "Probe-fed wide-band AMC-integrated hexagonal antenna with uniform gain characteristics for WLAN applications," Wireless Networks, 2020.
28. Gong, X., L. Tong, and Y. Tian, "Design of a microstrip-fed hexagonal Shape UWB antenna with triple band-notched bands," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 62, 77-87, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC15101701
29. Heydari, S., K. Pedram, Z. Ahmed, and F. B. Zarrabi, "Dual-band monopole antenna based on metamaterial structure with narrowband and UWB resonances with reconfigurable quality," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 81, 92-98, 2017. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2017.07.015
30. Islam, S. S., T. Alam, M. R. Iqbal Faruque, and M. T. Islam, "Design and analysis of a Complementary Split-Ring Resonator (CSRR) metamaterial-based antenna for wide-band application," Science and Engineering of Composite Materials, Vol. 24, No. 5, 2015.
31. Yves, S., T. Berthelot, M. Fink, G. Lerosey, and F. Lemoult, "Left-handed band in an electromagnetic metamaterial induced by subwavelength multiple scattering," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 111101, Mar. 2018.
32. Chen, H., J. J. Zhang, Y. Bai, Y. Luo, and L. Ran, "Experimental retrieval of the effective parameters of metamaterial based on a waveguide method," Optics Express, Vol. 14, No. 26, 2006.
33. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of negative permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from re ection and transmission coefficients," Phys. Rev. B, 2002.
34. Pandey, A. K., M. Chauhan, V. K. Killamsety, and B. Mukherjee, "High gain compact rectangular dielectric resonator antenna using metamaterial as superstrate," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 12, 1-10, Wiley, 2019.
35. Sinha, M., V. Killamsetty, and B. Mukherjee, "Near field analysis of RDRA loaded with split ring resonators superstrate," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 2, 472-478, Wiley, 2018. doi:10.1002/mop.30995
36. Chauhan, M., A. Rajput, and B. Mukherjee, "Wideband circularly polarized low profile dielectric resonator antenna with meta superstrate for high gain," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communication, 128, 2021.