A novel Artificial Neural Network (ANN) based two Substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) bandpass filters comprising Complementary Split Ring Resonators (CSRRs) are proposed in this paper. These CSRRs are modelled on the upper layer of the SIW cavity. A feed forward multilayer perceptron (FF-MLP) neural network is used to optimize the physical dimensions of the proposed filters. To validate the analytical results, physical prototypes of the proposed filters are fabricated, and a measurement is carried out with a Combinational Network Analyzer (Anritsu-MS2037C), and the obtained experimental results agree well with the estimated results using full wave analysis. Within the passband from 8.22 to 8.95 GHz, S12 of the first filter shows better than -0.5 dB insertion loss (IL) and a fractional bandwidth of 8.5%, and within the passband from 8.21 to 8.73 GHz, the second filter shows IL about -0.8 dB and a fractional bandwidth of 6.1%.
Ranjit Kumar Rayala,
"Artificial Neural Network Based SIW Bandpass Filter Design Using Complementary Split Ring Resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 115, 277-289, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21072305
1. Deslandes, K. Wu, "Single-substrate integration technique of planar circuits and Waveguide filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 2, 593-596, 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.807820
2. Khorand, T. and M. S. Bayati, "Novel half-mode substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filters using semi-hexagonal resonators," International Journal of Electronics and Communications (AEU), Vol. 95, 52-58, 2018. doi:10.1016/j.aeue.2018.08.009
3. Ananya, P., P. Athira, and S. Raghavan, "Miniaturized band pass filter in substrate integrated waveguide technology," International Journal of Engineering & Technology, Vol. 7, No. 3.13, 95-98, 2018. doi:10.14419/ijet.v7i3.13.16332
4. Ananya, P., P. Athira, and S. Raghavan, "Miniaturizing SIW filters with SLOW-wave technique," AEU --- Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 84, 360-365, 2018.
5. Bozzi, M., G. Apostolos, and K. Wu, "Review of substrate-integrated waveguide circuits and antennas," Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, 909-920, IET, 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0463
6. Krushna Kanth, V. and S. Raghavan, "EM design and analysis of a substrate integrated waveguide based on a frequency-selective surface for millimeter wave radar application," J. Comput. Electron., Vol. 18, 189-196, 2019. doi:10.1007/s10825-018-1272-z
7. Krushna Kanth, V. and R. Singaravelu, "Design of a hybrid A-sandwich radome using a strongly coupled frequency selective surface element," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 12, No. 8, 738-748, 2020. doi:10.1017/S1759078720000021
8. Krushna Kanth, V. and R. Singaravelu, "Design and implementation of 2.5D frequency selective surface based on substrate integrated waveguide technology," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 11, No. 3, 255-267, 2019. doi:10.1017/S1759078718001678
9. Tomassoni, C., L. Silvestri, M. Bozzi, and L. Perregrini, "Substrate-integrated waveguide filters based on mushroom-shaped resonators," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 8, No. 4-5, 741-749, 2016. doi:10.1017/S1759078716000453
10. Chen, C. and J. Qin, "Triple-mode dual-band bandpass filter based on cross-shaped substrate integrated waveguide," Electronics Letters, Vol. 55, No. 3, 138-140, 2018. doi:10.1049/el.2018.7172
11. Xu, J., J. J. Bi, Z. L. Li, and R. S. Chen, "Optimization of SIW band-pass filter with wide and sharp stopband using space mapping," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 103, No. 12, 2042-2051, 2016. doi:10.1080/00207217.2016.1178338
12. Aghayari, H., N. Komjani, and N. M. Garmjani, "A novel H plane filter using double-layer substrate integrated waveguide with defected ground structures," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 100, No. 6, 851-862, 2013. doi:10.1080/00207217.2012.727101
13. Chaudhury, S. S., S. Awasthi, and R. K. Singh, "Dual band bandpass filter based on substrated integrated waveguide loaded with mushroom resonators," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 62, 2226-2235, 2020. doi:10.1002/mop.32315
14. Chen, L.-N., Y.-C. Jiao, Z. Zhang, and F.-S. Zhang, "Miniaturized substrate integrated waveguide dual-mode filters loaded by a series of cross-slot structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 29, 29-39, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12032302
15. Zhang, Q., W. Yin, S. He, and L. Wu, "Compact Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) bandpass filter with Complementary Split-Ring Resonators (CSRRs)," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 8, 426-428, 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2049258
16. Li, W., Z. Tang, and X. Cao, "Design of a SIW bandpass filter using defected ground structure with CSRRs," Active and Passive Electronic Components, 6 pages, 2017.
17. Wu, L., X. Zhou, Q. Wei, and W. Yin, "An extended doublet Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) bandpass filter with a Complementary Split Ring Resonator (CSRR)," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, No. 12, 777-779, 2009. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2009.2034034
18. Dong, D., T. Yang, and T. Itoh, "Substrate integrated waveguide loaded by complementary split-ring resonators and its applications to miniaturized waveguide filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 9, 2211-2223, 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2027156
19. Pu, J., F. Xu, and Y. Li, "Miniaturized substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filters based on novel complementary split ring resonators," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Biomedical Conference (IMBioC), Nanjing, China, 2019.
20. Jiang, W., W. Shen, L. Zhou, and W.-Y. Yin, "Miniaturized and highselectivity Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) bandpass filter loaded by Complementary Split-Ring Resonators (CSRRs)," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 11-12, 1448-1459, 2012. doi:10.1080/09205071.2012.702203
21. Park, W.-Y. and S. Lim, "Miniaturized half-mode substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filter loaded with double-sided complementary split-ring resonators," Electromagnetics, Vol. 32, No. 4, 200-208, 2012. doi:10.1080/02726343.2012.672037
22. Huang, L., I. D. Robertson, N. Yuan, and J. Huang, "Novel substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filter with broadside-coupled complementary split ring resonators," IEEE/MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Montreal, QC, Canada, 2012.
23. Ghayoumi Zadeh, H. and M. Danaeian, "Miniaturized substrate integrated waveguide filter using fractal open complementary split-ring resonators," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 28, 2018.
24. Yan, T., X.-H. Tang, Z.-X. Xu, and D. Lu, "A novel type of bandpass filter using complementary open-ring resonator loaded HMSIW with an electric cross-coupling," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, 998-1001, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29719
25. Chu, P., et al., "Dual-mode substrate integrated waveguide filter with flexible response," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 65, No. 3, 824-830, March 2017. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2016.2633346
26. Angiulli, G., E. Arnieri, D. De Carlo, and G. Amendola, "Feed forward neural network characterization of circular SIW resonators," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, San Diego, CA, USA, 2008.
27. Amendola, G., G. Angiulli, E. Arnieri, L. Boccia, and D. De Carlo, "Characterization of lossy SIW resonators based on multilayer perceptron neural networks on graphics processing unit," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 42, 1-11, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13051001
28. Li, J. and T. Dong, "Design of a substrate integrated waveguide power divider that uses a neural network," 2nd International Conference on Computer Engineering and Technology, Chengdu, China, 2010.
29. Zhang, Z., Q. S. Cheng, H. Chen, and F. Jiang, "An efficient hybrid sampling method for neural network-based microwave component modeling and optimization," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 30, No. 7, 625-628, 2020. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2020.2995858