A co-planar waveguide-fed symmetrical staircase-shaped ultra-wideband antenna is proposed in this work. This antenna consists of three pairs of rectangular notches, two symmetrical C-shaped slots and two pairs of quarter-circular-ring-slits which are etched on the rectangular radiator and ground plane, respectively. By sequentially inserting three pairs of rectangular notches with proper positions, an excellent impedance bandwidth of 1.55-16.95 GHz (166.51%), i.e., a 10.94:1 ratio bandwidth is obtained. The total volume of the prototype is merely 0.239×0.224×0.004λl3, λl wavelength of the free space at the lowest operating frequency (i.e., 1.55 GHz). As a result, wider impedance bandwidth, fair gain and better impedance matching of the proposed antenna are obtained. It is observed that the simulation results are in good agreement with the measurement results. The transmission line model (TLM) of the proposed antenna is presented, and it shows the antenna behavior based on the effect of each element. It is observed that the characteristics of the TLM model are close to the simulation result using the CST simulator. The prototype is successfully implemented, fabricated, and compared with the experimental results.
Sisir Kumar Nayak,
"Design of Compact CPW-Fed Symmetrical Staircase-Shaped UWB Antenna Using Transmission Line Model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 115, 187-203, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21073002
1. Molisch, A. F., K. Balakrishnan, D. Cassioli, C.-C. Chong, S. Emami, A. Fort, J. Karedal, J. Kunisch, H. Schanntz, and K. Siwiak, "A comprehensive model for ultrawideband propagation channels," Proc. IEEE Global Telecommun. Conf. (GLOBECOM), 3648-3653, 2005.
2. Porcino, D. and W. Hirt, "Ultra-wideband radio technology: Potential and challenges ahead," IEEE Commun. Mag., 66-74, Jul. 2003.
3., FCC First Report and Order on Ultra-wideband Technology, Document FCC 02-48, Feb. 2002.
4. Chiu, S. C. and S. Y. Chen, "Miniaturization of CPW-fed slot antenna using a pair of interdigital capacitors," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., (APSURSI), 1380-1381, Orlando, FL, USA, Jul. 2013.
5. Orazi, H. and H. Soleiman, "Miniaturisation of UWB triangular slot antenna by the use of DRAF," IET Microw. Antennas & Propag., Vol. 11, No. 4, 450-456, Feb. 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0715
6. Sallam, M. O., S. M. Kandil, V. Volski, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, and E. A. Soliman, "Wideband CPW-fed flexible bow-tie slot antenna for WLAN/WiMAX systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 8, 4274-4277, Aug. 2017. doi:10.1109/TAP.2017.2710227
7. Safia, O. A., M. Nedil, L. Talbi, and K. Hettak, "Coplanar waveguide-fed rose-curve shape UWB monopole antenna with dual-notch characteristics," IET Microw. Antennas & Propag., Vol. 12, No. 7, 1112-1119, Jan. 2018. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0852
8. Azari, A., "A new super wideband fractal microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 5, 1724-1727, May 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2128294
10. Tasouji, N., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, and F. Tofigh, "A novel printed UWB slot antenna with reconfigurable band-notch characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 922-925, Jun. 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2273452
11. Chen, K.-R., C. Y. D. Sim, and J.-S. Row, "A compact monopole antenna for super wideband applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 488-491, Apr. 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2157071
12. Fang, X., G. Wen, D. Inserra, Y. Huang, and J. Li, "Compact wideband CPW-fed meandered-slot antenna with slotted Y-shaped central element for Wi-Fi, WiMAX, and 5G applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 66, No. 12, 7395-7399, Dec. 2018. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2869254
13. Dastranj, A. and H. Abiri, "Bandwidth enhancement of printed E-shaped slot antennas fed by CPW and microstrip line," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 4, 1402-1407, Apr. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2041164
14. Moghadasi, M. N., A. Danideh, R. Sadeghifakhr, and M.-R. Azadi, "CPW-fed ultra wideband slot antenna with arc-shaped stub," IET Microw. Antennas & Propag., Vol. 3, No. 4, 681-686, Sept. 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0057
15. Liu, H., S. Zhu, P. Wen, X. Xiao, W. Che, and X. Guan, "Flexible CPW-fed fishtail-shaped antenna for dual-band applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 770-773, Apr. 2014.
16. Wu, J., Z. Zhao, Z. Nie, and Q. Liu, "A printed UWB Vivaldi antenna using stepped connection structure between slotline and tapered patches," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 698-701, Apr. 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2314739
17. Eshtiaghi, R., J. Nourinia, and C. Ghobadi, "Electromagnetically coupled band-notched elliptical monopole antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 4, 1397-1402, Apr. 2010. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2041159
18. Yang, Y., Z. Zhao, X. Ding, Z. Nie, and Q.-H. Liu, "Compact UWB slot antenna utilizing traveling-wave mode based on slotline transitions," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 1, 140-150, Jan. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2878080
19. Dong, Y. D., W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, and J. X. Chen, "Analysis of planar ultrawideband antennas with on-ground slot band-notched structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1886-1893, Jul. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2021910
20. Ashong, E. T. and Y.-B. Jung, "Bandwidth enhancement and size reduction of printed monopole antenna using bounding box structure," IET Microw. Antennas & Propag., Vol. 13, No. 9, 1484-1490, Apr. 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2018.6161
21. Katyal, A. and A. Basu, "Analysis and optimisation of broadband stacked microstrip antennas using transmission line model," IET Microw. Antennas & Propag., Vol. 11, No. 1, 81-91, Feb. 2017. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2016.0112
22. Amro, W. H. A. A. and M. K. Abdelazeez, "Analysis and optimisation of super-wideband monopole antenna with tri-band notch using a transmission line model," IET Microw. Antennas & Propag., Vol. 13, No. 9, 1373-1381, Jun. 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2018.5779
23. Pierce, J. R., "Coupled modes," Almost All About Waves, Ch. 6, 47, MIT Press, 1974.
24. Haus, H. A. and W. Huang, "Coupled-mode theory," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 79, No. 10, 1505-1518, Oct. 1991. doi:10.1109/5.104225
25. Chuang, S. L., "Waveguide couplers and coupled mode theory," Physics of Optoelectronic Devices, 1st Edition, Ch. 8, Sec. 2.2, 291, Wiley, New York, NY, USA, 1995.