This article aims at discussing computational approach to design magnet-free nonreciprocal metamaterial. Detailed mathematical derivation on Floquet mode analysis is presented for Faraday and Kerr rotation. Non-reciprocity in the designed metasurface is achieved in the presence of biased transistor loaded in the gap of circular ring resonator. Based on the derived mathematical model, co- and cross-polarized components have been extracted, which helps find Faraday and Kerr rotation and compare/contrast the reciprocal and nonreciprocal systems.
1. Cai, W., Y. Fan, Q. Fu, R. Yang, W. Zhu, Y. Zhang, and F. Zhang, "Nonlinearly tunable extraordinary optical transmission in a hybrid metamaterial," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 55, No. 19, 195106, Feb. 2022. doi:10.1088/1361-6463/ac5082
2. Caloz, C., A. Alu, S. Tretyakov, D. Sounas, K. Achouri, and Z.-L. Deck-Leger, "Electromagnetic nonreciprocity," Physical Review Applied, Vol. 10, No. 4, 047001, Oct. 2018. doi:10.1103/PhysRevApplied.10.047001
3. Guo, Z., H. Jiang, and H. Chen, "Zero-index and hyperbolic metacavities: Fundamentals and applications," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 55, No. 8, 083001, Oct. 2021. doi:10.1088/1361-6463/ac2e89
4. Guo, Z., X. Wu, S. Ke, L. Dong, F. Deng, H. Jiang, and H. Chen, "Rotation controlled topological edge states in a trimer chain composed of meta-atoms," New Journal of Physics, Vol. 24, No. 6, 063001, Jun. 2022. doi:10.1088/1367-2630/ac71bd
5. Holmes, A. M., M. Sabbaghi, S. Poddar, S. Pakniyat, and G. W. Hanson, "Experimental realization of topologically protected surface magnon polaritons on ceramic YIG ferrites," 2021 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA), 204-204, 2021. doi:10.1109/ICEAA52647.2021.9539784
6. Kodera, T. and C. Caloz, "Unidirectional loop metamaterials (ULM) as magnetless artificial ferrimagnetic materials: Principles and applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 11, 1943-1947, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2851592
7. Kodera, T., D. Sounas, and C. Caloz, "Magnetless nonreciprocal metamaterial (MNM) technology: Application to microwave components," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, 1030-1042, 2013. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2013.2238246
8. Kodera, T., D. L. Sounas, and C. Caloz, "Switchable magnetless nonreciprocal metamaterial (MNM) and its application to a switchable faraday rotation metasurface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1454-1457, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2231043
9. Kodera, T. and C. Caloz, "Unidirectional loop metamaterials (ULM) as magnetless articial ferrimagnetic materials: Principles and applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 11, 1943-1947, Nov. 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2851592
10. Kodera, T., D. L. Sounas, and C. Caloz, "Artificial faraday rotation using a ring metamaterial structure without static magnetic field," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 99, No. 3, 031114, 2011. doi:10.1063/1.3615688
11. Kord, A., D. L. Sounas, and A. Alu, "Microwave nonreciprocity," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 108, No. 10, 1728-1758, 2020. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2020.3006041
12. Landau, L. and E. Lifshitz, "On the theory of the dispersion of magnetic permeability in ferromagnetic bodies," Phys. Z. Sowjetunion, Vol. 8, 01, 1992.
13. Lax, B., K. Button, and H. Hagger, "Microwave ferrites and ferrimagnetics," Physics Today, Vol. 16, No. 8, 57, 1963. doi:10.1063/1.3051073
14. Menzel, C., C. Rockstuhl, and F. Lederer, "Advanced Jones calculus for the classification of periodic metamaterials," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 82, 053811, Nov. 2010.
15. Poddar, S., Design and analysis of fully-electronic magnet-free non-reciprocal metamaterial, 2578, Theses and Dissertations, 2020, https://dc.uwm.edu/etd/2578.
16. Poddar, S., S. Roy, S. Roy, and Md. T. Hasan, "A dual triangular cut resonator patch antenna for WLAN applications," 2015 International Conference on Electrical Electronic Engineering (ICEEE), 237-240, 2015. doi:10.1109/CEEE.2015.7428266
17. Polder, D., "VIII. On the theory of ferromagnetic resonance," The London, Edinburgh, and Dublin Philosophical Magazine and Journal of Science, Vol. 40, No. 300, 99-115, 1949. doi:10.1080/14786444908561215
18. Rabus, D. G. and C. Sada, "Ring resonators: Theory and modeling," Integrated Ring Resonators, 3-46, Springer International Publishing, Cham, 2020.
19. Roy, S., M. A. Samad, and S. Podder, "Effect of complementary triangular split ring resonator on microstrip patch antenna," 2015 2nd International Conference on Electrical Information and Communication Technologies (EICT), 353-358, 2015. doi:10.1109/EICT.2015.7391975
20. Ruesink, F., M.-A. Miri, A. Alu, and E. Verhagen, "Nonreciprocity and magnetic-free isolation based on optomechanical interactions," Nature Communications, Vol. 7, No. 1, 13662, Nov. 2016. doi:10.1038/ncomms13662
21. Xiao, S., T. Wang, T. Liu, C. Zhou, X. Jiang, and J. Zhang, "Active metamaterials and metadevices: A review," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 53, No. 50, 503002, Sep. 2020. doi:10.1088/1361-6463/abaced