In this paper, a microstrip sensor based on a complementary split ring resonator (CSRR)-derived structure is proposed to characterize the permittivity and permeability of materials. By loading an etched meandered conductive ring and an interdigital capacitor structure, effective separation of the permittivity sensing area and permeability sensing area is realized, and the field strengths of the corresponding areas are improved. The relationship between the resonant response (resonant frequency and quality factor) of the sensor and the permittivity and permeability of the sample under test (SUT) is discussed, and the theoretical basis for measuring the material properties is given. By analyzing the measured resonant frequency and quality factor, the real and imaginary parts of the permittivity and permeability of the SUT can be determined. The sensor was fabricated on a Rogers 5880 substrate, and four standard dielectric and magnetodielectric (MD) samples were tested. The results show that the measured values of the real and imaginary parts of the permittivity and permeability are in good agreement with the reference data.
1. Takach, A. A., F. M. Mbango, F. Ndagijimana, M. Al-Husseini, and J. Jomaah, "Two-line technique for dielectric material characterization with application in 3D-printing filament electrical parameters extraction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 85, 195-207, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERM19071702
2. Naik, S., M. Pour, and C. Hill, "Characterization of dielectric properties of non-magnetic materials using superstrate-loaded antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 104, 39-47, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERM21071210
3. Benali, L. A., J. Terhzaz, A. Tribak, and A. M. Sanchez, "2D-FDTD method to estimate the complex permittivity of a multilayer dielectric materials at Ku-band frequencies," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 91, 155-164, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20020102
4. Hao, H., D. Wang, and W. Zhu, "A permittivity measurement method based on back propagation neural network by microwave resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 110, 27-38, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERC21010706
5. Karami, M., P. Rezaei, S. Kiani, and R. A. Sadeghzadeh, "Modified planar sensor for measuring dielectric constant of liquid materials," Electronics Letters, Vol. 53, No. 19, 1300-1302, Sept. 2017. doi:10.1049/el.2017.2481
6. Ansari, M. A. H., A. K. Jha, Z. Akhter, and M. J. Akhtar, "Multi-band RF planar sensor using complementary split ring resonator for testing of dielectric materials," IEEE Sensors J., Vol. 18, 6596-6606, Aug. 16, 2018.
7. Muhammed Shafi, K. T., A. K. Jha, and M. J. Akhtar, "Improved planar resonant RF sensor for retrieval of permittivity and permeability of materials," IEEE Sensors J., Vol. 17, No. 17, 5479-5486, Sept. 2017. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2017.2724942
8. Muhammed Shafi, K. T., M. A. H. Ansari, A. K. Jha, and M. J. Akhtar, "Design of SRR- based microwave sensor for characterization of magnetodielectric substrates," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 27, No. 5, 524-526, May 2017. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2017.2690873
9. Saadat-Safa, M., V. Nayyeri, M. Khanjarian, M. Soleimani, and O. M. Ramahi, "A CSRR-based sensor for full characterization of magneto-dielectric materials," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 67, No. 2, 806-814, Feb. 2019. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2018.2882826
10. Gan, H.-Y., et al., "A CSRR-loaded planar sensor for simultaneously measuring permittivity and permeability," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 30, No. 2, 219-221, Feb. 2022. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2019.2957657
11. Bonache, J., M. Gil, I. Gil, J. Garcia-Garcia, and F. Martin, "On the electrical characteristics of complementary metamaterial resonators," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Components Lett., Vol. 16, No. 10, 543-545, Sept. 2006. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2006.882400
12. Gama, A. M. and M. C. Rezende, "Complex permeability and permittivity variation of carbonyl iron rubber in the frequency range of 2 to 18 GHz," J. Aerosp. Technol. Manage., Vol. 2, No. 1, 59-62, Apr. 2010. doi:10.5028/jatm.2010.02015962
13. Castro, J., et al., "Synthesis and characterization of low-loss Fe3O4-PDMS magneto-dielectric polymer nanocomposit," 15th IEEE Annual Conference on Wireless and Microwave Technology (WAMICON), 1-5, Tampa, FL, USA, 2014.
14. Alahnomi, R. A., Z. Zakaria, E. Ruslan, S. R. Ab Rashid, and A. A. Mohd Bahar, "High-Q sensor based on symmetrical split ring resonator with spurlines for solids material detection," EEE Sensors J., Vol. 17, No. 9, 2766-2775, May 2017. doi:10.1109/JSEN.2017.2682266