A high performance substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) slotted array antenna with low sidelobe level and optimum gain at 28 GHz is designed, and experimental results are presented with simulated data. In order to achieve a low sidelobe level, Chebyshev power coefficients in the form of slot displacements are applied to the SIW array antenna. A MATLAB program has been written to find these slot displacements. This work entails investigating and designing the optimum microstrip to SIW transition over the Ka-Band, designing a 1 x 8 slotted SIW array antenna, and finally applying the Chebyshev power coefficients to the slots of the 1 x 8 SIW array antenna. The fabricated prototype of a 1 x 8 SIW slotted array antenna is tested, and its performance is studied in terms of gain and half power beam width (HPBW), compared with simulations. The measured results of the 1 x 8 slotted SIW array antenna at 28 GHz have a |S11| of better than -20 dB, a gain of 13 dB, and an HPBW of 17˚. The overall dimensions of the design at 28 GHz are 7.143 mm x 51.8 mm x 0.254 mm (0.667λo × 4.84λo × 0.023λo = 0.0766λo3 mm3).
1. Huang, G.-L., S.-G. Zhou, T.-H. Chio, H.-T. Hui, and T.-S. Yeo, "A low profile and low sidelobe wideband slot antenna array feb by an amplitude-tapering waveguide feed-network," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 1, 419-423, Jan. 201. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2365238
2. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Integrated microstrip and rectangular waveguide in planar form," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 2, 68-70, Feb. 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.914305
3. Yan, L., W. Hong, K. Wu, and T. J. Cui, "Investigations on the propagation characteristics of the substrate integrated waveguide based on the method of lines," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 152, No. 1, 35-42, Feb. 19, 2005. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20040726
4. Xu, F. and K. Wu, "Numerical multimode calibration technique for extraction of complex propagation constants of substrate integrated waveguide," 2004 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest(IEEE Cat. No.04CH37535), Vol. 2, 1229-1232, Fort Worth, TX, USA, 2004.
5. Xu, F., Y. Zhang, W. Hong, K. Wu, and T. J. Cui, "Finite-difference frequency-domain algorithm for modeling guided-wave properties of substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 11, 2221-2227, Nov. 2003.
6. Cassivi, Y., L. Perregrini, P. Arcioni, M. Bressan, K. Wu, and G. Conciauro, "Dispersion characteristics of substrate integrated rectangular waveguide," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 12, No. 9, 333-335, Sept. 2002. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2002.803188
7. Kunooru, B., S. V. Nandigama, D. Rama Krishna, R. Gugulothu, and S. Bhalke, "Studies on microstrip to SIW transition at Ka-Band," 2019 TEQIP III Sponsored International Conference on Microwave Integrated Circuits, Photonics and Wireless Networks (IMICPW), 379-382, 2019.
8. Deslandes, D., "Design equations for tapered microstrip-to-Substrate Integrated Waveguide transitions," 2010 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 704-707, 2010. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2010.5517884
9. Bozzi, M., A. Georgiadis, and K. Wu, "Review of substrate-integrated waveguide circuits and antennas," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 8, 909-920, Jun. 2011. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2010.0463
10. Stevenson, A. F., "Theory of slots in rectangular waveguides," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 19, 24-38, 1948. doi:10.1063/1.1697868
11. Elliott, R., "On the design of traveling-wave-fed longitudinal shunt slot arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 27, No. 5, 717-720, Sept. 1979. doi:10.1109/TAP.1979.1142166
12. El Misilmani, H. M., M. Al-Husseini, and M. Mervat, "Design of slotted waveguide antennas with low sidelobes for high power microwave applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 56, 15-28, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC14121903
13. Dewantari, A., J. Kim, I. Scherbatko, and M.-H. Ka, "A sidelobe level reduction method for mm-wave substrate integrated waveguide slot array antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 8, 1557-1561, Aug. 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2922307
14. Xu, J., Z. N. Chen, and X. Qing, "CPW center-fed single-layer SIW slot antenna array for automotive radars," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 9, 4528-4536, Sept. 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2014.2330587
15. Xu, J. F., W. Hong, P. Chen, and K. Wu, "Design and implementation of low sidelobe substrate integrated waveguide longitudinal slot array antennas," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 5, 790-797, 2009. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2008.0157
16. Park, S., D. Shin, and S. Park, "Low side-lobe substrate-integrated-waveguide antenna array using broadband unequal feeding network for millimeter-wave handset device," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 3, 923-932, Mar. 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2513075
17. Zong, Y., J. Ding, C.-J. Guo, and C. Li, "A novel center-fed SIW inclined slot antenna for active phased array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 88, 97-104, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERL19090805