Energetic ion or electron beams cause plasma instabilities. Depending on plasma and the beam parameters, an ion beam leads to change in the dispersion relation of Alfven waves on interacting with magnetoplasmas as it can efficiently transfer its energy to the plasma. We have derived dispersion relation and the growth rates for oblique shear Alfven wave in hydrogen plasma. The particles of the beam interact with the Shear Alfven waves only when they counter-propagate each other and destabilize left-hand polarized mode for parallel waves and left-hand as well as right-hand polarized modes for oblique waves, via fast cyclotron interaction. The collisions between beam ions and plasma components affect the growth rate and the frequency of generated Alfven waves, differently for right-hand (RH) and left-hand (LH) polarized oblique Alfven modes. For (ω + kzvbo > ωbc), the most unstable mode is the LH polarized oblique Alfven mode, and it is the RH polarized oblique Alfven mode for (ω + kzvbo < ωbc), which shows a polarization reversal after resonance condition. Numerical results indicate that the growth rates increase with increase in angle of propagation. The maximum growth rate values in the presence or absence of beam increase due to obliquity of wave.
1. Gekelman, W., Vincena, D. S. Leneman, and J. Maggs, "Laboratory experiments on shear Alfven waves and their relationship to space plasmas," J. Geophys Res., Vol. 102, No. A4, 7225-7236, 1997. doi:10.1029/96JA03683
2. Chen, L. and F. Zonca, "Physics of Alfven waves and energetic particles in burning plasmas," Rev. Mod. Phys., Vol. 88, No. 1, 015008, 2016. doi:10.1103/RevModPhys.88.015008
3. Jephcott, D. F. and P. M. Stocker, "Hydromagnetic waves in a cylindrical; plasma: An experiment," J. Fluid Mech., Vol. 13, No. 4, 587-596, 1962. doi:10.1017/S0022112062000956
4. Dwivedi, A. K., S. Kumar, and M. S. Tiwari, "Effect of ion and electron beam on kinetic Alfven wave in an inhomogeneous magnetic field," Astrophys. Space Sci., Vol. 350, No. 2, 547-556, 2014. doi:10.1007/s10509-013-1760-3
5. Prakash, V., R. Gupta, S. C. Sharma, and Vijayshri, "Excitation of lower hybrid wave by an ion beam in magnetized plasma," Laser Part. Beams, Vol. 31, No. 4, 747-752, 2013. doi:10.1017/S0263034613000591
6. Gupta, R., V. Prakash, S. C. Sharma, and Vijayshri, "Interaction of an electron beam with whistler waves in magnetoplasmas," Laser Part. Beams, Vol. 33, No. 3, 455-461, 2015. doi:10.1017/S0263034615000506
7. Gupta, R., V. Prakash, S. C. Sharma, Vijayshri, and D. N. Gupta, "Resonant ion beam interaction with Whistler waves in a magnetized dusty plasma," J. Atomic, Molecular, Condensate and Nano Physics, Vol. 3, No. 1, 45-53, 2016. doi:10.26713/jamcnp.v3i1.385
8. Prakash, V., R. Gupta, Vijayshri, and S. C. Sharma, "Excitation of electromagnetic surface waves at a conductor-plasma interface by an electron beam," J. Atomic, Molecular, Condensate and Nano Physics, Vol. 3, No. 1, 35-43, 2016. doi:10.26713/jamcnp.v3i1.384
9. Prakash, V. and S. C. Sharma, "Excitation of surface plasma waves by an electron beam in a magnetized dusty plasma," Phys. Plasmas., Vol. 16, No. 9, 93703, 2009. doi:10.1063/1.3216918
10. Prakash, V., S. C. Sharma, Vijayshri, and R. Gupta, "Surface wave excitation by a density modulated electron beam in a magnetized dusty plasma cylinder," Laser Part. Beams, Vol. 31, 411-418, 2013. doi:10.1017/S0263034612001048
11. Shoucri, M. M. and R. R. J. Gagne, "Excitation of lower hybrid waves by electron beams in finite geometry plasmas. Part 1. Body waves," J. Plasma Phys., Vol. 19, No. 2, 281-294, 1978. doi:10.1017/S0022377800023242
12. Rubab, N. and G. Jaffer, "Excitation of dust kinetic Alfven waves by semi-relativistic ion beams," Phys. Plasmas., Vol. 23, No. 5, 053701, 2016. doi:10.1063/1.4948490
13. Shevchenko, V. I., V. L. Galinsky, and S. K. Ride, "Excitation of left-hand-polarized nonlinear Alfven waves by an ion beam in a plasma," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 107, No. A11, 1-12, 2002.
14. Amagishi, Y. and M. Tanaka, "Ion-neutral collision effect on an Alfven wave," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 71, No. 3, 360-363, 1993. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.71.360
15. Tripathi, S. K. P., B. V. Compernolle, W. Gekelman, P. Pribyl, and W. Heidbrink, "Excitation of shear Alfven waves by a spiraling ion beam in a large magnetoplasma," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 91, No. 1, 1-5, 2015. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.91.013109
16. Zhang, Y., W. W. Heidbrink, H. Boehmer, R. McWilliams, S. Vincena, T. A. Carter, W. Gekelman, D. Leneman, and P. Pribyl, "Observation of fast-ion Doppler-shifted cyclotron resonance with shear Alfven waves," Phys. Plasmas., Vol. 15, No. 10, 102112, 2008. doi:10.1063/1.2996323
17. Soler, R., J. L. Ballester, and T. V. Zaqarashvili, "Overdamped Alfven waves due to ion-neutral collisions in the solar chromospheres," A & A, Vol. 573, 79-91, 2014.
18. Shukla, P. K. and L. Stenflo, "Periodic structures on an ionic-plasma-vacuum interface," Phys. Plasmas., Vol. 12, No. 4, 0845021, 2005. doi:10.1063/1.1867494
19. Shukla, P. K., M. Y. Yu, and L. Stenflo, "Growth rates of modulationally unstable ion-cyclotron Alfven waves," Phys. Scr., Vol. 34, No. 2, 169-170, 1986. doi:10.1088/0031-8949/34/2/015
20. Lu, X. Q., W. Z. Tang, W. Guo, and X. Y. Gong, "A study on interactions between ions and polarized Alfven waves below cyclotron resonance frequency," Phys. Plasmas., Vol. 23, No. 12, 1-5, 2016. doi:10.1063/1.4972075
21. Hollweg, J. V. and S. A. Markovskii, "Cyclotron resonances of ions with oblique propagating waves in coronal holes & the fast sdolar wind," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 107, No. A6, 1-7, 2002.
22. Li, X. and Q. M. Lu, "Heating and deceleration of minor ions in the extended fast solar wind by oblique Alfven waves," J. Geophys. Res., Vol. 115, No. A48, A08105, 2010.
23. Hellinger, P. and A. Mangeney, "Structure of low mach number oblique shock waves," Correlated Phenomena at the Sun, in the Heliosphere and in Geospace, 337-340, 1997.
24. Hellinger, P. and A. Mangeney, "Electromagnetic ion beam instabilities --- Oblique pulsation," J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., Vol. 104, No. A3, 4669-4680, 1999. doi:10.1029/1998JA900157
25. Verscharen, D. and B. D. G. Chandran, "The dispersion relations and instability thresholds of oblique plasma modes in the presence of an ion beam," Astrophys. J., Vol. 764, No. 1, 1-12, 2013. doi:10.1088/0004-637X/764/1/88
26. Maneva, Y. G., A. F. Vinas, P. S. Moya, R. T. Wicks, and S. Poedts, "Dissipation of parallel & oblique Alfven-cyclotron waves --- Implications for heating of alpha particles in the solar wind," Astrophys. J., Vol. 814, No. 1, 1-15, 2015. doi:10.1088/0004-637X/814/1/33
27. Gao, X., Q. Lu, X. Li, C. Huang, and S. Wang, "Heating of the background plasma by obliquely propagating Alfven waves excited in electromagnetic alpha/proton instability," Phys. Plasmas., Vol. 19, No. 3, 1-5, 2012. doi:10.1063/1.3693373
28. Xiang, L., D. J. Wu, and L. Chen, "Effect of alpha beams on low-frequency electromagnetic waves driven by proton beams," Astrophy. J., Vol. 869, No. 64, 1-10, 2018.