This paper presents a forthcoming compact high-performance two-element multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) diverse antenna for wireless-LAN 5 GHz band and sub-6 GHz 5G(NR) band. The proposed antenna consists of two symmetrical antenna elements with an inverted T-shaped ground structure. The antenna attributes such as S-parameters, realized gain, current distribution, and radiation patterns are studied. Additionally, MIMO performance is also investigated in terms of envelope correlation coefficient (ECC), diversity gain (DG), total active reflection coefficient (TARC), and multiplexing efficiency. The antenna covers the entire 5G band for wireless communication, with an effective band (-10-dB) of 2.92 to 5.72 GHz (provides bandwidth of 2.8 GHz). The obtained values indicate that measured performance is in reasonable agreement with simulated one. Additionally, efficiency and gain were around 95 % and above 3 dB across the band of interest respectively.
"High Isolation Compact Two Port 5G MIMO Diversity Antenna with Asymmetrical Feed and Partial Ground Structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 136, 23-36, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23042202
1. Kumar, S., A. S. Dixit, R. R. Malekar, H. D. Raut, and L. K. Shevada, "Fifth generation antennas: A comprehensive review of design and performance enhancement techniques," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 163568-163593, 2020, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3020952. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3020952
2. Li, M., X. Chen, A. Zhang, and A. A. Kishk, "Dual-polarized broad-band base station antenna backed with dielectric cavity for 5G communications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 10, 2051-2055, Oct. 2019. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2937201
3. Zhai, G., Z. N. Chen, and X. Qing, "Mutual coupling reduction of a closely spaced four-element MIMO antenna system using discrete mushrooms," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 64, No. 10, 3060-3067, 2016. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2016.2604314
4. Nadeem, I. and D.-Y. Choi, "Study on mutual coupling reduction technique for MIMO antennas," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 563-586, 2019, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2885558. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2885558
5. Zou, H., Y. Li, C. Y. D. Sim, and G. Yang, "Design of 8 x 8 dual-band MIMO antenna array for 5G smartphone applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Eng., Vol. 28, No. 9, 1-12, 2018, doi: 10.1002/mmce.21420.
6. Nandi, S. and A. Mohan, "A compact dual-band MIMO slot antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2457-2460, Jul. 2017, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2017.2723927.
7. Liu, Y., Z. Yang, P. Chen, J. Xiao, and Q. Ye, "Isolation enhancement of a two-monopole MIMO antenna array with various parasitic elements for sub-6 GHz applications," Micromachines (Basel), Vol. 13, No. 12, Dec. 2022, doi: 10.3390/mi13122123.
8. Su, S., C. T. Lee, and Y. W. Hsiao, "Compact two-inverted-F-antenna system with highly integrated π-shaped decoupling structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 9, 618-6186, Sep. 2019, doi: 10.1109/TAP.2019.2925286.
9. Soltani, S., P. Lotfi, and R. D. Murch, "A dual-band multiport MIMO slot antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 529-532, 2017, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2016.2587732. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2587732
10. Niu, Z., H. Zhang, Q. Chen, and T. Zhong, "Isolation enhancement in closely coupled dual-band MIMO patch antennas," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 8, 1686-1690, Aug. 2019, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2019.2928230. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2928230
11. Xu, Z., Q. Zhang, and L. Guo, "A compact 5G decoupling MIMO antenna based on split-ring resonators," Int. J. Antennas Propag., 1-10, 2019.
12. Ghannad, A. A., M. Khalily, P. Xiao, R. Tafazolli, and A. A. Kishk, "Enhanced matching and vialess decoupling of nearby patch antennas for MIMO system," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 6, 1066-1070, Jun. 2019, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2019.2906308. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2019.2906308
13. Sharma, K. and G. P. Pandey, "Two port compact MIMO antenna for ISM band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 100, 173-185, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC20011504
14. Liu, D. Q., H. J. Luo, M. Zhang, H. L. Wen, B. Wang, and J. Wang, "An extremely low-profile wideband MIMO antenna for 5G smartphones," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 67, No. 9, 5772-5780, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1109/TAP.2019.2908261. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2908261
15. Jayant, S. and G. Srivastava, "Compact 4x4 proximity coupled microstrip fed UWB stepped slot MIMO antenna having triple band rejection," Wireless Pers Commun., Vol. 119, 3719-3734, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11277-021-08428-w. doi:10.1007/s11277-021-08428-w
16. Khalid, M., S. I. Naqvi, N. Hussain, M. U. Rahman, S. S. Mirjavadi, M. J. Khan, and Y. Amin, "4-port MIMO antenna with defected ground structure for 5G millimeter wave applications," Electronics (Switzerland), Vol. 9, No. 1, 2020, https://doi.org/10.3390/electronics9010071.
17. Yue, T. W., Z. H. Jiang, and D. H. Werner, "A compact metasurface-enabled dual-band dual- circularly polarized antenna loaded with complementary split ring resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 2, 794-803, Feb. 2019. doi:10.1109/TAP.2018.2882616
18. Saxena, G., P. Jain, and Y. K. Awasthi, "High diversity gain super-wideband single band-notch MIMO antenna for multiple wireless applications," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 14, No. 1, 109-119, Jan. 2020, doi: 10.1049/iet-map.2019.0450. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2019.0450
19. Tiwari, R. N., P. Singh, B. K. Kanaujia, and K. Srivastava, "Neutralization technique based two and four port high isolation MIMO antennas for UWB communication," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 110, 152828, 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.aeue.2019.152828.
20. Nandi, S. and A. Mohan, "CRLH unit cell loaded triband compact MIMO antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 1816-1819, 2017, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2017.2681178.
21. Sharma, A., G. Das, and R. K. Gangwar, "Design and analysis of tri-band dual-port dielectric resonator based hybrid antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 6, 986-992, May 2018, doi: 10.1049/iet-map.2017.0822. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2017.0822
22. Gao, D., Z. Cao, X. Quan, M. Sun, S. Fu, and P. Chen, "A low-profile decoupling slot-strip array for 2 x 2 microstrip antenna," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 113532-113542, 2020, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3002862. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.3002862
23. Ibrahim, A. M., I. M. Ibrahim, and N. A. Shairi, "Compact MIMO slots antenna design with different bands and high isolation for 5G smartphone applications," Baghdad Sci. J., Vol. 16, No. 4, 1093-1102, 2019.
24. Zhang, S. and G. F. Pedersen, "Mutual coupling reduction for UWB MIMO antennas with a wideband neutralization line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 166-169, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1109/LAWP.2015.2435992.
25. Chattha, H. T., "4-port 2-element MIMO antenna for 5G portable applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 96516-96520, 2019, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2925351. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2019.2925351
26. Karaboikis, M. P., V. C. Papamichael, G. F. Tsachtsiris, C. F. Soras, and V. T. Makios, "Integrating compact printed antennas onto small diversity/MIMO terminals," IEEE Trans Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 7, 2067-2078, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.924677