In this paper, a low-profile triple-notched bandstop filter (BSF) is introduced. The proposed filter suppresses frequencies of Bluetooth (2.4 GHz), Wi-Max (3.5 GHz), and Wi-Fi (5.2 GHz) using three defected microstrip structures (DMSs). This BSF may be located in the feed line of an ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna. Consequently, not only the complexity is reduced, but also the area of the presented filter (24×10 mm2) is plummeted. Multiple rectangular slots are etched in the feed line to achieve multi-notch performance. Additionally, two dumbbell-shaped defected ground structures (DGSs) are etched in the ground plane to improve matching. Three PIN diodes are used to reconfigure the frequency response of the filter. By controlling the three diodes, the proposed filter can support six operating modes. The filter is simulated, optimized, fabricated, and measured to be suitable for cognitive radio applications. It achieves an insertion loss of (40, 29, and 24) dB and a rejection rate of (184, 215, and 277) dB/GHz at 2.4, 3.5, and 5.2 GHz, respectively. The simulated and measured results agree well.
Gomaa M. Elashry,
Abd-El-Hadi A. Ammar,
Esmat A. F. Abdallah,
"Compact Reconfigurable Triple Bandstop Filter Using Defected Microstrip Structure (DMS)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 136, 13-22, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERC23051808
1. Rajput, A., M. Chauhan, and B. Mukherjee, "An ultra-wideband bandstop filter with circularly etched stub resonator," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 63, 2958-2963, 2021. doi:10.1002/mop.33001
2. Islam, H., S. Das, T. Ali, T. Bose, O. Prakash, and P. Kumar, "A frequency reconfigurable MIMO antenna with bandstop filter decoupling network for cognitive communication," Sensors, Vol. 22, 6937, 2022. doi:10.3390/s22186937
3. Zuo, X. and L. Qin, "A novel approach to design wideband bandstop filter with wide upper bandpass bandwidth," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 138, 153897, 2021.
4. Taibi, A., M. Trabelsi, and A. A. Saadi, "Efficient design approach of triple notched UWB filter," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 131, 153619, 2021.
5. Haddi, S. B., A. Zugari, A. Zakriti, and S. Achraou, "Design of a band-stop planar filter for telecommunications applications," Procedia Manufacturing, Vol. 46, 788-792, 2020. doi:10.1016/j.promfg.2020.04.006
6. Ai, J., Y. H. Zhang, K. Da Xu, M. K. Shen, and W. T. Joines, "Miniaturized frequency controllable band-stop filter using coupled-line stub-loaded shorted SIR for tri-band application," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 27, 627-629, 2017. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2017.2711532
7. Radonic, V., S. Birgermajer, N. Cselyuszka, and V. Crnojevic-Bengin, "Compact dual-band bandstop filter based on coupled open-ended Hilbert resonators," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 33, 1318-1328, 2019. doi:10.1080/09205071.2019.1607568
8. Homayoon, F. and A. A. Heidari, "A band-stop filter based on spoof surface plasmon polaritons using complementary split-ring resonators," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer- Aided Engineering, Vol. 32, e23186, 2022. doi:10.1002/mmce.23186
9. Cai, Y., K. D. Xu, Z. Ma, and Y. Liu, "Compact bandstop filters using coupled lines and open/short stubs with multiple transmission poles," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 13, 1368-1372, 2019. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2018.5745
10. Smari, M., S. Dakhli, E. Fourn, and F. Choubani, "Reconfigurable bandstop filter with switchable CLLs for bandwidth Ccontrol," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 110, 11-19, 2023. doi:10.2528/PIERL23022206
11. Li, P., Y. Shi, Y. Deng, P. Fay, and L. Liu, "Tunable and reconfigurable bandstop filters enabled by optically controlled switching elements," Electronics Letters, Vol. 58, 985-987, 2022. doi:10.1049/ell2.12654
12. Asci, C., A. Sadeqi, W. Wang, H. Rezaei Nejad, and S. Sonkusale, "Design and implementation of magnetically-tunable quad-band filter utilizing split-ring resonators at microwave frequencies," Scientic Reports, Vol. 10, 1050, 2020. doi:10.1038/s41598-020-57773-6
13. Garg, M., R. Chahar, S. Yadav, S. Garg, and D. Noor, "A novel polarization independent triple bandstop frequency selective surface for the mobile and wireless communication," 2017 International Conference on Computing, Communication and Automation (ICCCA), 1518-1521, 2017. doi:10.1109/CCAA.2017.8230042
14. Zheng, X. and T. Jiang, "Triple notches bandstop microstrip filter based on archimedean spiral electromagnetic bandgap structure," Electronics, Vol. 8, 964, 2019. doi:10.3390/electronics8090964
15. Koirala, G. R. and N.-Y. Kim, "Multiband bandstop filter using an I-stub-loaded meandered defected microstrip structure," Radioengineering, Vol. 25, 61-66, 2016. doi:10.13164/re.2016.0061
16. Min, X. and H. Zhang, "Compact triple-band bandstop filter using folded, symmetric stepped- impedance resonators," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 77, 105-111, 2017.
17. Elashry, G. M., H. A. Mohamed, A. A. Abd-El-Hadi, and E. A. Abdallah, "Cloverleaf filtenna with reconfigurable quintuple rejection bands using defected microstrip structure," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 168, 154708, 2023.
18. Belmajdoub, A., M. Jorio, S. Bennani, A. Lakhssassi, and M. Amzi, "Design of compact microstrip bandpass filter using square DMS slots for Wi-Fi and bluetooth applications," TELKOMNIKA (Telecommunication Computing Electronics and Control), Vol. 19, 724-729, 2021. doi:10.12928/telkomnika.v19i3.18768
19. Hammed, R. T. and B. H. Hameed, "Compact multiple bandstop filter using integrated circuit of defected microstrip structure (DMS) and dual-mode resonator," AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 107, 209-214, 2019.
20. Rebeiz, G. M., K. Entesari, I. C. Reines, S.-J. Park, M. A. El-Tanani, A. Grichener, et al. "Tuning in to RF MEMS," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 10, 55-72, 2009. doi:10.1109/MMM.2009.933592
21. Li, Y., W. Li, and Q. Ye, "A reconfigurable triple-notch-band antenna integrated with defected microstrip structure band-stop filter for ultra-wideband cognitive radio applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, Article ID 472645, 2013.
22. Kingsly, S., D. Thangarasu, M. Kanagasabai, M. G. N. Alsath, R. R. Thipparaju, S. K. Palaniswamy, et al. "Multiband reconfigurable filtering monopole antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, 1416-1420, 2018. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2018.2848702
23. Harikrishnan, A., S. Mridula, and P. Mohanan, "Reconfigurable band stop filter using slotted elliptical patch resonator with defected ground," 2021 6th International Conference for Convergence in Technology (I2CT), 1-5, 2021.
24. Costantine, J., Y. Tawk, S. E. Barbin, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Reconfigurable antennas: Design and applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 103, 424-437, 2015. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2015.2396000
25. Gomez-Garcia, R., J.-M. Munoz-Ferreras, W. Feng, and D. Psychogiou, "Input-reflectionless negative-group-delay bandstop-filter networks based on lossy complementary duplexers," 2019 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS), 1031-1034, 2019. doi:10.1109/MWSYM.2019.8700887