For the measurement of microwave device in high-power, traditional methods are inefficient, inaccurate and not on-line real-time measurement. A new type of high-power microwave impedance tuner (26.5 GHz~40 GHz) based on load-pull technique and a corresponding rapid calibration method based on curve fitting are proposed. A new structure using increased width rectangular waveguide slotted in the center is adopted as the main transmission line. In order to prevent the leak of electromagnetic waves transferring in rectangular waveguide, two choke grooves are added in upper cover plate of the waveguide cavity. The results (standing wave ratio range of 1.02~10.98, insertion loss of 0.063 dB at minimum standing wave ratio) show by practical measurement that this structure and method are feasible. The device can meet the requirement of design, and the new method has less time for calibration.
2. Ferrero, A. and M. Pirola, "Harmonic load-pull techniques: An overview of modern systems," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 14, No. 4, 116-123, 2013.
3. Teppati, V., A. Ferrero, and U. Pisani, "Recent advances in real-time load-pull systems," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 57, No. 11, 2640-2646, 2008.
4. Hone, T. M., S. Bensmida, and K. A. Morris, "Controlling active load-pull in a dual-input inverse load modulated doherty architecture," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 6, 1797-1804, 2012.
5. Bengtsson, O., L. Vestling, and J. Olsson, "A computational load-pull method with harmonic loading for high-efficiency investigations," Solid-State Electronics, Vol. 53, No. 1, 86-94, 2009.
6. Hoefer, W. J. R. and M. N. Burton, "Closed-form expressions for the parameters of finned and ridged waveguides," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 30, No. 12, 2190-2194, 1982.
7. Teppati, V. and C. R. Bolognesi, "Evaluation and reduction of calibration residual uncertainty in load-pull measurements at millimeter-wave frequencies," IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement, Vol. 61, No. 3, 817-822, 2012.
8. Albasha, L., "Technique for harmonic minimisation in high-power MMIC antenna switches using load-pull tuners," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 10, 1131-1135, 2011.
9. Moravek, O. and K. Hoffmann, "Improvement to load-pull technique for design of large-signal amplifier in K band," Radioengineering, Vol. 20, No. 4, 828-831, 2011.
10. Vadala, V., A. Raffo, S. Di Falco, and G. Bosi, "A load-pull characterization technique accounting for harmonic tuning," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 61, No. 7, 2695-2704, 2013.
11. Hoarau, C., P.-E. Bailly, J.-D. Arnould, P. Ferrari, and P. Xavier, "Accurate measurement method for characterisation of RF impedance tuners," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 25, 1434-1436, 2007.
12. Andersson, C. M., M. Thorsell, and N. Rorsman, "Nonlinear characterization of varactors for tunable networks by active source-pull and load-pull," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 7, 1753-1760, 2011.
13. Roff, C., J. Graham, J. Sirois, and B. Noori, "A new technique for decreasing the characterization time of passive load-pull tuners to maximize measurement throughput," 2008 72nd ARFTG Microwave Measurement Symposium, 92-96, 2008.
14. Bonino, S., V. Teppati, and A. Ferrero, "Further improvements in real-time load-pull measurement accuracy," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 2, 121-123, 2010.
15. Ghannouchi, F. M., M. S. Hashmi, S. Bensmida, and M. Helaoui, "Loop enhanced passive source and load-pull technique for high reflection factor synthesis," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 11, 2952-2959, 2010.
16. Hashmi, M. S., A. L. Clarke, S. P.Woodington, J. Lees, J. Benedikt, and P. J. Tasker, "An accurate calibrate-able multiharmonic active load-pull system based on the envelope load-pull concept," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 3, 656-664, 2010.
17. Browne, J., "Load-pull system aids nonlinear device modeling," Microwaves and RF, Vol. 48, No. 8, 90-92, 2009.
18. Vaha-Heikkila, T., J. Varis, J. Tuovinen, and G. M. Rebeiz, "A 20-50 GHz RF MEMS single-stub impedance tuner," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 4, 205-207, 2005.
19. Sun, L., J. S. Zhan, and J. L. Wang, "A waveguide design of microwave high power passive tuner," Advanced Materials Research, Vol. 588-589, 856-859, 2012.
20. Albasha, L., "Technique for harmonic minimisation in high-power MMIC antenna switches using load-pull tuners," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 10, 1131-1135, 2011.