In this paper, a compact tri-band microstrip filter is designed and fabricated for application in wireless communication systems such as Bluetooth, WIMAX (World Wide Interoperability for Microwave Access), and WLAN (Wireless Local Area Network). In the proposed filter, three resonators, i.e., Stub-Loaded Resonator (SLR), Stepped-Impedance Resonator (SIR), and Square Split Ring Resonator (SSRR), are used. The dimensions of the proposed filter are equal to 16.2×12.3 mm2 or 0.219λg×0.166λg. These dimensions indicate that the proposed structure has reduced the size by about 40% compared to the conventional samples. This is the main advantage of the proposed filter. Finally, in order to investigate analysis and simulations, the proposed filter is fabricated. The results prove correctness of the design, analysis, and simulations.
1. Khajeh-Khalili, F. and M. A. Honarvar, "A design of triple lines Wilkinson power divider for application in wireless communication systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 30, No. 16, 2110-2124, Oct. 2016. doi:10.1080/09205071.2016.1236704
2. Kumar, R. and S. N. Singh, "Design and analysis of ridge substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filter with octagonal complementary split ring resonator for suppression of higher order harmonics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 89, 87-99, 2019. doi:10.2528/PIERC18080404
3. Gorur, A. K., "A novel compact microstrip balun bandpass filter design using interdigital capacitor loaded open loop resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 76, 47-53, 2018.
4. Crnojevic-Bengin, V., Advanced in Multi-band Microstrip Filters, Cambridge University Press, United Kingdom, 2015. doi:10.1017/CBO9781139976763
5. Karimzadeh-Jazi, R., M. A. Honarvar, and F. Khajeh-Khalili, "High Q-factor narrow-band bandpass filter using cylindrical dielectric resonators for X-band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 77, 65-71, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERL18041007
6. Shriram, S. Y., K. V. P. Kumar, and S. S. Karthikeyanc, "Compact dual-wideband bandpass filter for wireless applications," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 95, 69-72, Oct. 2018.
7. Fan, W. X., Z. P. Li, and S. X. Gong, "Tri-band filter using combined E-type resonators," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 40, 193-194, Jan. 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2012.3617
8. Deng, H. W., Y. J. Zhao, X. J. Zhou, Y. Fu, and Y. Y. Liu, "Design of compact and high selectivity tri-band wideband microstrip BPF," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 2, 258-261, Feb. 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27334
9. Yan, J. M., L. Z. Cao, J. Xu, and R. S. Chen, "Design of a fourth-order dual-band bandpass filter with independently controlled external and inter-resonator coupling," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 25, No. 10, 642-644, Oct. 2015. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2015.2463095
10. Chen, W. Y., M. H. Weng, and S. J. Chang, "A new tri-band bandpass filter based on stub-loaded step-impedance resonator," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 22, No. 4, 179-181, Apr. 2012. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2012.2187884
11. Deng, H. W., Y. J. Zhao, Y. Fu, X. J. Zhou, and Y. Y. Liu, "Design of tri-band microstrip BPF using SLR and quarter-wavelength SIR," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 1, 212-215, Jan. 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27247
12. Gao, L., X. Y. Zhang, and Q. Xue, "Compact tri-band bandpass filter using novel eight-mode resonator for 5G WiFi application," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 25, No. 10, 660-662, May 2015. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2015.2421298
13. Wei, F., P. Y. Qin, Y. J. Guo, C. Ding, and X. W. Shi, "Compact balanced dual- and tri-band BPFs based on coupled complementary split-ring resonators (C-CSRR)," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 26, No. 2, 107-109, Feb. 2016. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2016.2517125
14. Zhang, Y., L. Gao, and X. Y. Zhang, "Compact quad-band bandpass filter for DCS/WLAN/WiMAX/5G Wi-Fi application," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 25, No. 10, 645-647, Aug. 2015. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2015.2463227
15. Sekiya, N. and S. Sugiyama, "Design of miniaturized HTS dual-band bandpass filters using stub-loaded meander line resonators and their applications to tri-band bandpass filters," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 25, No. 3, Jun. 2015.
16. Xu, J., W. Wu, and G. Wei, "Compact multi-band bandpass filters with mixed electric and magnetic coupling using multiple-mode resonator," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 63, No. 12, 3909-3919, Dec. 2015. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2015.2488643
17. Honarvar, M. A. and R. A. Sadeghzadeh, "Design of coplanar waveguide ultrawideband bandpass filter using stub-loaded resonator with notched band," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 9, 2056-2061, Sep. 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26992
18. Mirzaei, M. and M. A. Honarvar, "Compact planar quad-band bandpass filter for application in GPS, WLAN, WiMAX and 5G WiFi," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 63, 115-121, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERL16092307
19. Khajeh-Khalili, F. and M. Amin Honarvar, "Novel tunable peace logo planar metamaterial unit-cell for millimeter-wave applications," ETRI Journal, Vol. 40, No. 3, 389-395, Jun. 2018. doi:10.4218/etrij.2018-0013
20. Karaaslana, M., M. Bagmancıa, E. Unala, O. Akgola, and C. Sabahb, "Microwave energy harvesting based on metamaterial absorbers with multi-layered square split rings for wireless communications," Optics Communications, Vol. 392, 31-38, Jun. 2017. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2017.01.043
21. Khajeh-Khalili, F., M. A. Honarvar, A. Dadgarpour, B. S. Virdee, and T. A. Denidni, "Compact tri-band Wilkinson power divider based on metamaterial structure for Bluetooth, WiMAX, and WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 33, No. 6, 707-721, Mar. 2019. doi:10.1080/09205071.2019.1575287