A compact CPW-fed triple-band Multiple Input Multiple Output (MIMO) antenna is designed for WLAN, WiMAX, and 5G applications in this article. Three resonant frequencies, including 2.4 GHz, 3.5 GHz, and 5.5 GHz are generated by two branches and a rectangle radiation patch. The proposed antenna comprises two antenna elements placed side by side with a meandering neutralization line (NL) inserted between the elements to realize decoupling. To analyze the performance, it is fabricated and experimented. The measured results reveal that it has three impedance bandwidths: 2.38-2.52 GHz (5.7%), 3.28-3.62 GHz (10.1%), and 5.05-6.77 GHz (29.1%) with the measured isolation up to 16 dB. Furthermore, the parameters of diversity performance like envelope correlation coefficient (ECC), diversity gain (DG), efficiency, gain, channel capacity loss (CCL), mean effective gain (MEG), and total active reflection coefficient (TARC) are also analyzed, and the results indicate that the proposed antenna is desirable for integration in WLAN/WiMAX/5G devices.
1. Sun, L. B., Y. Li, Z. J. Zhang, and Z. H. Feng, "Wideband 5G MIMO antenna with integrated orthogonal-mode dual-antenna pairs for metal-rimmed smartphones," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 68, No. 4, 2494-2503, 2020. doi:10.1109/TAP.2019.2948707
2. Bengtsson, E. L., et al., "A simulation framework for multiple-antenna terminals in 5G massive MIMO systems," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 26819-26831, 2017. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2775210
3. Islam, S. N., et al., "Design of a compact triple band antenna with independent frequency tuning for MIMO applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 29, No. 3, e21620, 2019. doi:10.1002/mmce.21620
4. Kumar, M. and V. Nath, "Design and development of triple-band compact ACS-fed MIMO antenna for 2.4/3.5/5 GHz WLAN/WiMAX applications," Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, Vol. 103, No. 3, 461-470, 2020. doi:10.1007/s10470-020-01626-9
5. Liang, J. J., et al., "A triple-band antenna for MIMO WLAN applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 28, No. 5, e21251, 2018. doi:10.1002/mmce.21251
6. Rajeshkumar, V. and R. Rajkumar, "SRR loaded compact tri-band MIMO antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 95, 43-53, 2021. doi:10.2528/PIERL20100704
7. Goud, J. R., N. K. Rao, and A. M. Prasad, "Design of triple band U-slot MIMO antenna for simultaneous uplink and downlink communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 106, 271-283, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERC20082403
8. Amit, K., et al., "Design of triple-band MIMO antenna with one band-notched characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 86, 41-53, 2018.
9. Chaudhari, A. A. and R. K. Gupta, "A simple tri-band MIMO antenna using a single ground stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 86, 191-201, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERC18061803
10. Pasumarthi, S. R., J. B. Kamili, and M. P. Avala, "Design of tri-band MIMO antenna with improved isolation using DGS and Vias," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 110, No. 3, 1523-1532, 2020. doi:10.1007/s11277-019-06799-9
11. Niu, B. J. and J. H. Tan, "Compact tri-band MIMO antenna based on quarter-mode slotted substrate-integrated-waveguide cavity," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 30, No. 3, e22101, 2019.
12. Nandi, S. and A. Mohan, "CRLH unit cell loaded tri-band compact MIMO antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 1816-1819, 2017.
13. Sun, J. S. and H. S. Fang, "Triple-band MIMO antenna for mobile wireless applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 500-503, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2015.2454536
14. Liu, R. P., et al., "Neutralization line decoupling tri-band multiple-input multiple-output antenna design," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 27018-27026, 2020. doi:10.1109/ACCESS.2020.2971038
15. Biswas, A. K. and U. Chakraborty, "Investigation on decoupling of wide band wearable multiple-input multiple-output antenna elements using microstrip neutralization line," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 29, No. 7, e21723, 2019. doi:10.1002/mmce.21723
16. Saleh, A. M. and K. H. Sayidmarie, "Compact tri-band MIMO antenna with high port isolation for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference (LAPC), 2016.
17. Du, C. Z. and Z. L. Zhao, "A CPW-fed dual-band MIMO antenna with enhanced isolationfor 5G application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 98, 11-20, 2020. doi:10.2528/PIERM20081203
18. Kumar, A., A. Q. Ansari, B. K. Kanaujia, and J. Kishor, "High isolation compact four-port MIMO antenna loaded with CSRR for multiband applications," Frequenz, Vol. 72, No. 9-10, 415-427, 2018. doi:10.1515/freq-2017-0276
19. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House Inc., 2001.
20. Hasan, M. I., M. A. Motin, and M. S. Habib, "Circular ring slotting technique of making compact microstrip rectangular patch antenna for four band applications," 2013 International Conference on Informatics, Electronics and Vision (ICIEV), 1-4, Dhaka, 2013.