In this paper, a novel structure for Ka-band micro electromechanical switches with low actuation voltage is proposed. In this structure, the membrane of the switch is chosen to be a Koch fractal. We have analyzed these switches in order to extract their parameters such as insertion loss, return loss and deformation posture. The effect of the actuation voltage on the deformation of the bridge has been analyzed and the results are compared with simple rectangular bridges. It is shown that bias voltage of these kinds of switches is remarkably lower than that of its other counterparts. This switch may be used as a low loss and effective element for more complicated systems such as distributed phase shifters and phased arrays.
1. Abbaspour-Sani, E. and S. Afrang, "A low voltage MEMS structure for RF capacitive switches," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 65, 157-167, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06093001
2. Abbaspour-Sani, E., N. Nasirzadeh, and G. Dadashzadeh, "Two novel structures for tunable MEMS capacitor with RF applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 68, 169-183, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER06081404
3. Plotz, F., S. Michaelis, R. Aigner, H. J. Timme, J. Binder, and R. Noe, "A low-voltage torsional actuator for applications in RF micro-switches ," Sensors and Actuators A, Vol. 92, 312-317, 2001. doi:10.1016/S0924-4247(01)00589-1
4. Werner, D. H. and S. Ganguly, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 1, February 2003.
5. Hung, J. J., L. Dussopt, and G. M. Rebeiz, "Distributed 2- and 3-bit W-band MEMS phase shifters on glass substrates," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 2, February 2004. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.821941
6. Hayden, J. S. and G. M. Rebeiz, "Very low-loss distributed X-band and Ka-band MEMS phase shifters using metal-airmetal capacitors," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 1, January 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.806520
7. Rebeiz, G. M., "Phase-noise analysis of MEMS-based circuits and phase shifters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 50, No. 5, May 2002. doi:10.1109/22.999145
8. Afrang, S. and B. Y. Majlis, "Small size Ka-band distributed MEMS phase shifters using inductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 95-113, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB07101903
9. Liang, Y., C. W. Domier, and N. C. Luhmann Jr., "RF MEMS extended tuning range varactor and varactor based true time delay line design," PIERS Online, Vol. 4, No. 4, 2008. doi:10.2529/PIERS070730142758
10. Varadan, V. K., RF MEMS and Their Applications , John Wiley and Sons ltd., 2003.
11. Rebeiz, G. M., RF MEMS, Theory, Design and Technology, Wiley Inter Sciences, 2003.
12. Rizk, J., G.-L. Tan, J. B. Muldavin, and G. M. Rebeiz, "High-isolation W-band MEMS switches," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 1, January 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.905952