The fade margins for 15, 23, 26 and 38 GHz frequency bands are predicted based on one-minute rain rate measurements for four years at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM) Skudai and the specifications of the given four MINI-LINKS. The availabilities of terrestrial microwave links are also investigated based on rain attenuation data collected from seven operational microwave links at 15 GHz and one at 23 GHz for more than one year. The fade margins for all eight links are measured based on the rain attenuation data collected with different hop lengths. In this paper, the feasibility to design outage-free wireless broadband radio link also highlighted. These results will contribute to the better design of outage-free Broadband Fixed Wireless Access (BFWA) system such as, Local Multipoint Distribution Service (LMDS) and IEEE802.16 in tropical regions.
1. Bose, R., "Improving capacity in LMDS networks using trellis coded modulation," EURASIP J. Wireless Commun. Networking, Vol. 2, 365-373, Nov. 2004.
2. Nodbotten, A., "LMDS systems and their application," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 38, No. 6, 150-154, Jun. 2000. doi:10.1109/35.846087
3. IEEE 802.16 Working Group web site. http://WirelessMAN.org.
4. Mehmet, S., T. T. Kuran, and F. Alagoz, "A survey on emerging broadband wireless access technologies,", Science Direct, 2006.
5. Mandeep, J. S. and J. E. Allnutt, "Rain attenuation predictions at ku-band in south east asia countries," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, PIER 76, 65-74, 2007.
6. Choi, Y. S., J. H. Lee, and J. M. Kim, "Rain attenuation measurements of the Koreasat beacon signal on 12 GHz," Climatic Parameters in Radiowave Propagation Prediction, 208-211, CLIMPARA'98, Ottawa, Canada, 1997.
7. Fedi, F., "Prediction of attenuation due to rainfall on terrestrial links," Radio Science, Vol. 16, No. 5, 731-743, Sep.-Oct. 1981. doi:10.1029/RS016i005p00731
8. Islam, M. R., J. Chebil, and T. A. Rahman, "Review of rain attenuation studies for communication systems operating in tropical regions," Proc. IEEE Malaysia International Conference on Communications, S15.9.1-4, 1997.
9., Characteristics of Precipitation for Propagation Modelling, Recommendation ITU-R P.837-4, ITU-R P Sers., ITU-R, Int. Telecomm. Union, Geneva Switzerland, 2003.
11. Ojo, J. S., M. O. Ajewole, and S. K. Sarkar, "Rain rate and rain attenuation prediction for satellite communication in Ku and Ka bands over nigeria," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 5, 207-223, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIERB08021201
12. Propagation data and prediction methods required for the design of terrestrial line-of-sight systems, ITU-R Rec. P.530-12, 02/2007.
13. Propagation data and prediction methods required for the design of Earth-space telecommunication systems, ITU-R Rec. P.618-9, 08/2007.
14. Specific attenuation model for rain for use in prediction methods, ITU-R Rec. P.838-3, 03/2005.
15. Freeman, R. L., Radio System Design for Telecommunication, 3rd edition, A Wiley Interscience Publication, John Wiley & Sons Inc, 2007.
16. Arnold, H. W., D. C. Cox, and A. J. Rustako, "Rain attenuation at 10-30 GHz along earth-space paths: Elevation angle, frequency, seasonal, and diurnal effects," IEEE Transactions and Communications, Vol. 29, No. 5, 716-721, May 1981. doi:10.1109/TCOM.1981.1095030
17. Paraboni, A., G. Masini, and A. Elia, "The effect of precipitation on microwave LMDS networks performance analysis using a physical rain cell model," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 20, 615-619, Apr. 2002. doi:10.1109/49.995520
18. Jennifer, P., L. J. Ippolito, Jr, S. Horan, and J. Feil, "Four years of experimental results from the new mexico ACTS Propagation terminal at 20.185 and 27.505 GHz," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 17, No. 2, 153-163, Feb. 1999. doi:10.1109/49.748779
19. Mandeep, S. J. S., S. I. S. Hassan, M. F. Ain, F. Ghani, I. Kiyoshi, T. Kenji, and I. Mitsuyoshi, "Earth-to-space improved model for rain attenuation prediction at Ku-band," American Journal of Applied Sciences, Vol. 3, No. 8, 1967-1969, 2006. doi:10.3844/ajassp.2006.1967.1969
20. Manabe, T. and T. Yashida, "Rain attenuation characteristics on radio links," IEEE Proceedings, 77-80, 1995.