A microstrip-line-fed Isosceles Trapezoidal Dielectric Resonator Antenna (ITDRA) with a parasitic strip and modified ground plane is introduced. It is proved by simulation and experiment that the antenna's resonant frequency can be lowered and the bandwidth can be increased considerably by introducing a slot and optimizing its position and dimensions in the ground plane. The proposed antenna is a wide band antenna with a 2:1 VSWR bandwidth of 21.5% centered at 2.51GHz and exhibits good radiation characteristics and moderate gain in the entire operating band. The antenna covers important application bands viz. ISM: Bluetooth/WLAN 2.4/Wibree (802.11 b/g/n)/ZigBee, WiBro and DMB. The wideband response in the relatively lower frequency range which includes the above mentioned application bands are not much seen anywhere in literature. Details of the design along with experimental and simulation results are presented and discussed.
"A Wideband Microstrip-Line-Fed Isosceles Trapezoidal Dielectric Resonator Antenna with Modified Ground Plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 16, 127-136, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERC10080804
1. Lo, H. Y., K. W. Leung, K. M. Luk, and E. K. N. Yung, "Low profile equilateral-triangular dielectric resonator antenna of very high permittivity," Electronics Letters, Vol. 35, 2164-2166, 1999.
2. Petosa, A., A. Ittipiboon, Y. M. M. Antar, D. Roscoe, and M. Cuhaci, "Recent advances in dielectric resonator antennas technology," IEEE Antennas Propagat. Mag., Vol. 40, 35-48, 1998.
3. Hamsakutty, V., A. V. Praveen Kumar, J. Yohannan, and K. T. Mathew, "Coaxial fed hexagonal dielectric resonator antenna for circular polarization," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 3, 581-582, Mar. 2006.
4. Wei, L. T. and S. J. Shiun, "Wideband dielectric resonator antenna with parasitic strip," IEEE Appl. Comput. Electromagn. Soc. Int. Conf., 376-379, Apr. 2005.
5. Li, B. and K. W. Leung, "Strip-fed rectangular dielectric resonator antennas with/without a parasitic patch," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 7, 2200-2207, Jul. 2005.
6. Buerkle, A., K. Sarabandi, and H. Mosallaei, "Compact slot and dielectric resonator antenna with dual-resonance, broadband characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 3, 1020-1027, Mar. 2005.
7. Shum, S. M. and K. M. Luk, "Characteristics of dielectric ring resonator antenna with an air gap," Electron. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 4, 277-278, Feb. 1994.
8. Ittipiboon, A., A. Petosa, D. Roscoe, and M. Cuhaci, "An investigation of a novel broadband dielectric resonator antenna," APS Int. Symp., Vol. 3, 2038-2041, Jul. 1996.
9. Kranenberg, R. A. and S. A. Long, "Microstrip transmission line excitation of dielectric resonator antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 24, No. 18, 1156-1157, 1988.
10. Leung, K. W., K. Y. Chow, K. M. Luk, and E. K. N. Yung, "Low profile circular disk DR antenna of very high permittivity excited by a microstripline," Electronics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 12, 1004-1005, 1997.
11. Praveen Kumar, A. V., V. Hamsakutty, J. Yohannan, and K. T. Mathew, "Microstripline fed cylindrical dielectric rresonator antenna with a coplanar parasitic strip," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 60, 143-152, 2006.
12. Jamaluddin, M. H., R. Gillard, R. Sauleau, P. Dumon, and L. Le Coq, "Reflectarray element based on strip-loaded dielectric resonator antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 11, 664-665, May 22, 2008.
13. Gao, Y., B.-L. Ooi, and M.-S. Leong, "Dual-band hybrid dielectric resonator antenna for WLAN," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, Jul. 5--11, 2008.
14. Xiao, F., Y. Nakada, K. Murano, and Y. Kami, "Crosstalk analysis model for traces crossing split ground plane and its reduction by stitching capacitor," IEICE Trans. Electronics, Vol. 11, 885-893, 2006.
15. Hitoshi, N., M. Kimitoshi, F. Xiao, and K. Yoshio, "Circuit model for two parallel microstrip lines on slotted ground plane," International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, EMC 2007, 130-133, Oct. 23--26, 2007.
16. Caloz, C., H. Okabe, T. Iwai, and T. Itoh, "A simple and accurate model for microstrip structures with slotted ground plane," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 3, 127-129, Mar. 2004.