A fully integrated 5.5 GHz high-linearity low noise amplifier (LNA) using post-linearization technique, implemented in a 0.18 μm RF CMOS technology, is demonstrated. The proposed technique adopts an additional folded diode with a parallel RC circuit as an intermodulation distortion (IMD) sinker. The proposed LNA not only achieves high linearity, but also minimizes the degradation of gain, noise figure (NF) and power consumption. The LNA achieves an input third-order intercept point (IIP3) of +8.33 dBm, a power gain of 10.02 dB, and a NF of 3.05 dB at 5.5 GHz biased at 6 mA from a 1.8 V power supply.
1. Wong, S. K., F. Kung, S. Maisurah, M. N. B. Osman, and S. J. Hui, "Design of 3 to 5 GHz CMOS low noise amplifier for ultra-wideband (UWB) system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 9, 25-34, 2009.
2. Kim, T. W., B. Kim, and K. Lee, "Highly linear receiver front-end adopting MOSFET transconductance linearization by multiple gated transistors," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 39, 223-229, January 2004.
3. Kim, T. S. and B. S. Kim, "Post-linearization of cascode CMOS low noise amplifier using folded PMOS IMD sinker," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, 182-184, April 2006.
4. Zang, H., X. Fan, and E. S. Sinencio, "A low-power, linearized, ultra-wideband LNA design technique," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 44, 320-330, February 2009.
5. Choi, K., T. Mukherjee, and J. Paramesh, "A linearity-enhanced wideband low-noise amplifier," IEEE RF Integrated Circuits Symp. Dig., 127-130, June 2010.
6. Chang, C. P., J. H. Chen, S. H. Hung, C. C. Su, and Y. H. Wang, A novel post-linearization technique for fully integrated 5.5 GHz high-linearity LNA, IEEE Int. Innovative Computing, Information and Control Conf., 577-580, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, December 2009.
7. Aparin, V. and L. E. Larson, "Modified derivative superposition method for linearizing FET low-noise amplifiers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, 571-581, February 2005.
8. Chandrasekhar, V., C. M. Hung, Y. C. Ho, and K. Mayaram, "A packaged 2.4 GHz LNA in a 0.15 μm CMOS process with 2 kV HBM ESD protection," IEEE Int. Solid-State Conf. Dig. Tech. Papers, 347-350, September 2002.
9. Youn, Y. S., J. H. Chang, K. J. Koh, Y. J. Lee, and H. K. Yu, A 2 GHz 16dBm IIP3 low noise amplifier in 0.25 μm CMOS technology, IEEE Int. Solid-State Circuits Conf., 452-453, San Francisco, CA, February 2003.
10. Im, D., I. Nam, H. Kim, and K. Lee, "A wideband CMOS low noise amplifier employing noise and IM2 distortion cancellation for a digital TV tuner," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 44, 686-698, March 2009.