This research presents the implementation of the Finite-Difference Time-Domain (FDTD) method for the solution of 3-dimensional electromagnetic problems in dispersive media using Graphics Processor Units (GPUs). By using the newly introduced CUDA technology, we illustrate the efficacy of GPUs in accelerating the FDTD computations by achieving appreciable speedup factors with great ease and at no extra hardware/software cost. We validate our approach by comparing the results with their corresponding simulated results obtained from Remcom's XFDTD software.
"Analysis of 3-Dimensional Electromagnetic Fields in Dispersive Media Using CUDA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 16, 185-196, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIERM10112506
1. Yu, W., R. Mittra, T. Su, Y. Liu, and X. Yang, "Parallel Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method," Artech House, July 2006.
3. Balevic, A. , L. Rockstroh, A. Tausendfreund, S. Patzelt, G. Goch, and S. Simon, "Accelerating simulations of light scattering based on finite-difference time-domain method with general purpose GPUs," Proc. IEEE CSE'08, 11th IEEE Int. Conference on Computational Science and Engr., 16-18, S~ao Paulo, Brazil, July 2008.
4. Valcarce , A. , G. De La Roche, A. Juttner, D. Lopez-Perez, and J. Zhang, "Applying FDTD to the coverage prediction of WiMAX femtocells," Eurasip Journal of Wireless Communications and Networking. Special issue: Advances in Propagat. Modeling for Wireless Systems, Feb. 2009.
5. Sypek, P., A. Dziekonski, and M. Mrozowski, "How to render FDTD computations more effective using a graphics accelerator," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 3, 1324-1327, Mar. 2009. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2009.2012614
6. Demir, V., "Performance analysis of CUDA implementation of FDTD on Tesla GPU using double precision arithmetic," 2010 USNC-URSI National Radio Science Meeting, Boulder, CO, Jan. 6-9, 2010.
7. Ong , C. Y., M. Weldon, S. Quiring, L. Maxwell, M. C. Hughes, C. Whelan, and M. Okoniewski, "Speed it up," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 11, No. 2, Apr. 2010. doi:10.1109/MMM.2010.935776
12. Zunoubi, , M. R., J. Payne, and W. P. Roach, "CUDA implementation of TEz-FDTD solution of Maxwell's equations in dispersive media," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 9, 756-759, Sept. 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2060181