A new radar cross section (RCS) prediction technique based on beam tracing is presented. The incident plane wave is modeled as a set of trigonal ray tubes, and each ray tube is traced and recursively subdivided as its reflection aspect. The calculation time of the proposed method is independent of target size. The proposed method provides accurate solutions and is efficient for RCS analysis of electrically large targets.
1. Ling, H., R. C. Chou, and S. W. Lee, "Shooting and bouncing rays: calculating the RCS of an arbitrarily shaped cavity," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propag., Vol. 37, No. 2, 194-205, 1989. doi:10.1109/8.18706
2. Suk, S.-H., T.-I. Seo, H.-S. Park, and H.-T. Kim, "Multiresolution grid algorithm in the SBR and its application to the RCS calculation," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 29, No. 6, 394-397, 2001. doi:10.1002/mop.1188
3. Gao, P. C., Y.-B. Tao, and H. Lin, "Fast RCS prediction using multiresolution shooting and bouncing ray method on the GPU," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 187-202, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10061807
4. Jin, K.-S., T.-I. Suh, S.-H. Suk, B.-C. Kim, and H.-T. Kim, "Fast ray tracing using a space-division algorithm for RCS prediction," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 1, 119-126, 2006. doi:10.1163/156939306775777341
5. Kim, B.-C., K.-K. Park, and H.-T. Kim, "Effcient RCS prediction method using angular division algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 1, 65-74, 2009. doi:10.1163/156939309787604625
6. Park, K.-K. and H.-T. Kim, "RCS prediction acceleration and reduction of table size for the angular division algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 11-12, 1657-1664, 2009.
7. Heckbert, P. S. and P. Hanrdahan, "Beam tracing polygonal objects," Computer Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH), Vol. 18, No. 3, 119-127, 1984. doi:10.1145/964965.808588
8. Weiler, K. and P. Arherton, "Hidden surface removal using polygon area sorting," Computer Graphics (Proc. SIGGRAPH), Vol. 11, No. 2, 214-222, 1977. doi:10.1145/965141.563896
9. De Berg, M., M. Van Kreveld, M. Overmars, and O. Schwarzkopf, Computational Geometry, Springer, 2000.
10. Klement, D., J. Preissner, and V. Stein, "Special problems in applying the physical optics method for backscatter computation of complicated objects," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propag., Vol. 36, No. 2, 228-237, 1988. doi:10.1109/8.1100
11., , FEKO Suite 5.5, EM Software and Systems. Available: http://www.feko.info/.. doi:10.1109/8.1100