Nyquist folding receiver (NYFR) is a new kind of interception architecture, which can simultaneously intercept wideband signals in multi-Nyquist zones with one or two analog-to-digital converters (ADCs). A parameter estimation algorithm of the linear frequency modulated (LFM) signal intercepted by an improved NYFR is presented. Firstly, the NYFR is improved by introducing a synchronous mechanism, and we denote this structure as a synchronous NYFR (SNYFR). Secondly, taking LFM as an example, the input and output noise distributions of an SNYFR are discussed. Then, a fast parameter estimation algorithm is derived from the frequency spectrum of the output signal, and an advice for the design of local oscillator signal is given. Simulations show that the parameter estimation accuracy is close to the maximum likelihood when the signal to noise ratio (SNR) is above -3 dB.
1. Jiang, T., S. Qiao, Z.-G. Shi, L. Peng, J. Huangfu, W.-Z. Cui, W. Ma, L.-X. Ran, "Simulation and experimental evaluation of the radar signal performance of chaotic signals generated from a microwave colpitts oscillator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 15-30, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER08120104
2. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Wavelet-based breast tumor localization technique using a UWB radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 75-95, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09100705
3. Chen, D. and C.-H. Cheng, "A novel compact ultra-wideband (UWB) wide slot antenna with via holes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 343-349, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09062306
4. Zhang, J., J. Wu, W. Liu, C. Qiao, and L. Wang, "Clock study of high speed interleaving/multiplexing data-acquisition system," Journal of University of Science and Technology of China, Vol. 36, No. 3, 281-284, 2006.
5. Velazquez, S. R., T. Q. Nguyen, and S. R. Broadstone, "Design of hybrid filter banks for analog/digital conversion," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 46, No. 4, 956-967, 1998. doi:10.1109/78.668549
6. Namgoong, W., "A channelized digital ultrawideband receiver," IEEE Trans. Wireless Communications, Vol. 2, No. 3, 502-510, 2003. doi:10.1109/TWC.2003.811177
7. Hoyos, S., B. M. Sadler, and G. R. Arce, "Ultra-wideband analog-to-digital conversion via signal expansion," IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technology, Vol. 54, No. 5, 1609-1622, 2005. doi:10.1109/TVT.2005.856195
9. Chi, Y. J., L. L. Scharf, A. Pezeshki, and A. R. Calderbank, "Sensitivity to basis mismatch in compressed sensing," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 59, No. 5, 2182-2195, 2011. doi:10.1109/TSP.2011.2112650
10. Migliore, M. D., "A compressed sensing approach for array diagnosis from a small set of near-field measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 6, 2127-2133, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2144556
11. Laska, J. N., S. Kirolos, M. F. Duarte, T. S. Ragheb, R. G. Baraniuk, and Y. Massoud, "Theory and implementation of an analog-to-information converter using random demodulation," IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 1959-1962, 2007. doi:10.1109/ISCAS.2007.378360
12. Tropp, J. A., M. B. Wakin, M. F. Duarte, D. Baron, and R. G. Baraniuk, Random filters for compressive sampling and reconstruction, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, 872-875, 2006.
13. Yang, D., H. Li, G. D. Peterson, and A. Fathy, Compressed sensing based UWB receiver: hardware compressing and FPGA reconstruction, 43rd Annual Conference on Information Sciences and Systems, 198-201, 2009.
14. Fudge, G. L., R. E. Bland, M. A. Chivers, S. Ravindran, J. Haupt, and P. E. Pace, A Nyquist folding analog-to-information receiver, 42nd Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers, 541-545, 2008.
15. Liu, Y., "Fast dechirp algorithm," Journal of Data Acquisition and Processing, Vol. 14, No. 2, 175-178, 1999.