A new multilayer power divider with Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) technology is proposed. In this work, two-way and four-way power dividers realizations by two-layer and three-layer SIW, respectively, are presented. Considering the small size of the structure, extension of this method to n-way power dividers and antenna feed networks are possible, and it has the potential for integration of compact multi-layer SIW circuits. Due to the lack of a multiport counterpart of the two-port thru-reflect-line (TRL) calibration, scattering matrix of an n-way power divider must be reconstructed from measured data. A method is introduced for reconstruction of S-parameters of the n-port noncoaxial device with a two-port vector network analyzer (VNA). The two-way power divider is designed for 8.7-10.5 GHz band. Transmission coefficient about -3.5 dB and return loss below -10 dB has been measured for this two-way power divider. For four-way power divider, transmission about -7 dB in the 9.5-10.5 GHz has been achieved.
"Multi-Layer Substrate Integrated Waveguide E-Plane Power Divider," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 30, 159-172, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12042905
1. Wu, K., D. Deslandes, and Y. Cassivi, "The substrate integrated circuits -- A new concept for high-frequency electronics and optoelectronics," 6th International Conference on Telecommunications in Modern Satellite, Cable and Broadcasting Service, TELSIKS 2003, Vol. 1.
2. Zhang, Q.-L., W.-Y. Yin, S. He, and L.-S. Wu, "Evanescent-mode substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filters implemented with complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 419-432, 2011. doi:10.2528/PIER10110307
3. Song, K., Y. Fan, and Y. Zhang, "Eight-way substrate integrated waveguide power divider with low insertion loss," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 6, 1473-1477, Jun. 2008. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2008.923897
4. Eom, D., J. Byun, and H. Y. Lee, "Multi-layer four-way out-of-phase power divider for substrate integrated waveguide applications," 2009 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 477-480, Jun. 7-12, 2009.
6. Bakhtafrooz, A., A. Borji, D. Busuioc, and S. Safavi-Naeini, "Novel two-layer millimeter-wave slot array antennas based on substrate integrated waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 475-491, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10091706
7. Mohammadi, P. and S. Demir, "Two layers substrate integrated waveguide power divider," General Assembly and Scientific Symposium, 2011 XXXth URSI, 1-4, Aug. 13-20, 2011.
8. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Integrated microstrip and rectangular waveguide in planar form," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, No. 2, 68-70, Feb. 2001. doi:10.1109/7260.914305
9. Deslandes, D., "Design equations for tapered microstrip-to-substrate integrated waveguide transitions," 2010 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 704-707, May 23-28, 2010.
10. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., John Wiley &Sons, 2005.
11. Xu, X., R. G. Bosisio, and K. Wu, "A new six-port junction based on substrate integrated waveguide technology," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 7, 2267-2273. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2005.850455
13. Tippet, J. C. and R. A. Speciale, "A rigorous technique for measuring the scattering matrix of a multiport device with a 2-port network analyzer," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques,, Vol. 30, No. 5, 661-666, May 1982. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1982.1131118
14. Lin, , W. and C. Ruan, "Measurement and calibration of a universal six-port network analyzer," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 37, No. 4, 734-742, Apr. 1989. doi:10.1109/22.18847
15. Lu, H.-C. and T.-H. Chu, "Multiport scattering matrix measurement using a reduced-port network analyzer," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 5, 1525-1533, May 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2003.810134
16. Chen, C.-J. and T.-H. Chu, "Measurement of noncoaxial multiport devices up to the intrinsic ports," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 5, 1230-1236, May 2009. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2009.2017356
17. Sercu, S. and L. Martens, "Characterizing n-port packages and interconnections with a 2-port network analyzer," IEEE 6th Topical Meeting on Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging, 163-166, Oct. 27-29, 1997.