A novel approach for the design of image encryption system based on one stage of 3D photonic bandgap structure is proposed. Using the Finite Integration Time Domain (FITD) method, the performance of the proposed design is optimized through the utilization of the reflection properties from 3D photonic bandgap structure while maintaining constant phase encoding. To demonstrate the robustness of the suggested encryption system, root mean square error is calculated between the original and decrypted images revealing the high accuracy in retrieving the images. In addition, as the proposed system renders itself as easy to fabricate, it has an excellent potential for being very useful in both microwaves and photonics imaging system applications.
Nihal Fayez Fahmy Areed,
Salah S. A. Obayya,
"Novel Design of Symmetric Photonic Bandgap Based Image Encryption System," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 30, 225-239, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12050205
1. Refregier, P. and B. Javidi, "Optical image encryption based on input plane and fourier plane random encoding," Opt. Lett., Vol. 20, 767-769, 1995. doi:10.1364/OL.20.000767
2. Chang, H. K. L. and J. L. Liu, "A linear quad tree compression scheme for image encryption," Signal Process., Vol. 10, No. 4, 279-290, 1997.
3. Holtsnider, B. and B. D. Jaffe, IT Manager's Handbook: Getting Your New Job Done, 2nd Ed.-373, Morgan Kaufmann, 2006.
4. Qin, W. and X. Peng, "Asymmetric cryptosystem based on phase-truncated fourier transforms," Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, 118-120, 2010. doi:10.1364/OL.35.000118
5. Monaghan, D. S., U. Gopinathan, T. J. Naughton, and J. T. Sheridan, "Key-space analysis of double random phase encryption technique," App. Opt., Vol. 46, 6641-6647, 2007. doi:10.1364/AO.46.006641
6. Kishk, S. and B. Javidi, "Information hiding technique with double phase encoding," App. Opt., Vol. 41, 5462-5470, 2002. doi:10.1364/AO.41.005462
7. Tao, R., Y. Xin, and Y. Wang, "Double image encryption based on random phase encoding in the fractional fourier domain," Opt. Express, Vol. 15, 16067-16077, 2007. doi:10.1364/OE.15.016067
8. Frauel, Y., A. Castro, T. J. Naughton, and B. Javidi, "Resistance of the double random phase encryption against various attacks," Opt. Express, Vol. 15, 10253, 2007. doi:10.1364/OE.15.010253
9. Joshi, M., C. shakher, and K. Singh, "Color image encryption and decryption for twin images in fractional Fourier domain," Opt. Commun., Vol. 281, 5713-5720, 2008. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2008.08.024
10. Castro, J. M. , I. B. Djordjevic, and D. F. Geraghty, "Novel super structure bragg gratings for optical encryption," J. Lightwave Technol., Vol. 24, 1875-1885, 2006. doi:10.1109/JLT.2006.871028
11. Singh, M. , A. Kumar, and K. Singh, "Encryption and decryption using a phase mask set consisting of a random phase mask and sinusoidal phase grating in the fourier plane," ICOP 2009 --- International Conference on Optics and Photonics, CSIO, Chandigarh, India, Oct. 30-Nov. 1, 2009.
12. Naughton, T. J., B. M. Hennelly, and T. Dowling, "Introducing secure modes of operation for optical encryption," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 25, 2608-2617, 2008. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.25.002608
13. Clemente, P., V. Duran, V. Torres-Company, E. Tajahuerce, and J. Lancis, "Optical encryption based on computational ghost imaging," Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, 2391-2393, 2010. doi:10.1364/OL.35.002391
14. Chen, W. and X. Chen, "Space-based optical image encryption," Opt. Express, Vol. 18, 27095-27104, 2010. doi:10.1364/OE.18.027095
15. Chen, W., X. Chen, and C. J. R. Sheppard, "Optical double-image cryptography based on diffractive imaging with a laterally-translated phase grating," Appl. Opt., Vol. 50, 5750-5757, 2011. doi:10.1364/AO.50.005750
16. Perez-Cabre, E. , M. Cho, and B. Javidi, "Information authentication using photon-counting double-random-phase encrypted images," Opt. Lett., Vol. 36, 22-24, 2011. doi:10.1364/OL.36.000022
17. Joannopoulos, J. D., R. D. Meade, and J. N. Winn, Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of Light, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, 1995.
18. D'Orazio, A., M. De Sario, V. Petruzzelli, and F. Prudenzano, "Numerical modeling of photonic band gap waveguiding structures," Recent Research Developments in Optics, S. G. Pandalai S. G. Pandalai.
19. Koshiba, M., "Wavelength division multiplexing and demultiplexing with photonic crystal waveguide couplers," J. Lightw. Technol., Vol. 19, No. 12, 1970-1975, 2001. doi:10.1109/50.971693
20. Sharkawy, A., S. Shi, and D. W. Prather, "Multichannel wavelength division multiplexing with photonic crystals," Appl. Opt., Vol. 40, 2247-2252, 2001. doi:10.1364/AO.40.002247
21. Ozbay, E., M. Bayindir, I. Bulu, E. Cubukcu, and , "Investigation of localized coupled-cavity modes in twodimensional photonic band gap structures," IEEE J. Quantum Electron., Vol. 38, 837-843, 2002. doi:10.1109/JQE.2002.1017595
22. Samra, A. S., S. S. Kishk, and S. S. Elnaggar, "A compact lens-less optical image encoding system using diffraction grating," IJCSNS International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security, Vol. 10, No. 6, Jun. 2010.
23. Weiland, T., et al. "Verfahren und anwendungen der feldsimulation,", Darmstadt, 2002.
24. Krietenstein, B., R. Schuhmann, P. Thoma, and T.Weiland, "The perfect boundary approximation technique facing the challenge of high precision field computation," Proceedings of the XIX International Linear Accelerator Conference (LINAC'98), 860-862, Chicago, USA, 1998.