A compact tri-band slot antenna based on a mesh-grid structure, which is suitable for WLAN/WiMAX applications, is presented. The proposed antenna is optimized by a Boolean differential evolution algorithm (BDE). Then an experimental prototype is fabricated and measured. Results of simulation and measurements indicate that the proposed antenna has |S11|<-10dB in the three chosen frequency bands from 2.35 to 2.85 GHz, from 3.1 to 4.4 GHz and from 4.8 GHz to 5.85 GHz, which covers WLAN bands (2.4/5.2/5.8 GHz) and the WiMAX bands (2.5/3.5/5.5 GHz), respectively. In addition, good radiation performances such as omnidirectional and doughnut-shaped directivity and reasonable gain over the operating bands have been obtained. This example also demonstrates the applicability of the BDE/MOM optimization algorithm to efficient and in potential automated method for the antenna design.
1. Li, D., F.-S. Zhang, Z.-N. Zhao, L.-T. Ma, and X. N. Li, "A compact CPW-FED koch snowflake fractal antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 28, 143-153, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERC12022106
2. Storn, R. and K. Price, "Differential evolution - A simple and efficient adaptive scheme for global optimization over continuous spaces,", Technical Report TR-95-012, Berkeley, CA, 1995.
3. Storn, R. and K. Price, "Differential evolution - A simple and efficient heuristic for global optimization over continuous spaces," J. Global Optim., Vol. 11, 341-359, 1997. doi:10.1023/A:1008202821328
4. Price, K., R. Storn, and J. A. Lampinen, Differential Evolution: A ractical Approach to Global Optimization, 1st Edition, Springer, New York, 2005, ISBN: 3540209506.
5. Kurup, D. G., M. Himidi, and A. Rydberg, "Synthesis of uniform amplitude unequally spaced antenna arrays using the differential evolution algorithm ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, 2210-2217, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.816361
7. Yidiz, C., A. Akdagli, and M. Turkmen, "Simple and accurate synthesis formulas obtained by using a differential evolution algorithm for coplanar strip lines," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 48, 1133-1137, 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21559
8. Greenwood, G. W., "Using differential evolution for a subclass of graph theory problems," IEEE Trans. Evol. Comput., Vol. 13, 190-1192, 2009. doi:10.1109/TEVC.2009.2026000
9. Zhang, L., Y. C. Jiao, Z. B. Weng, and F. S. Zhang, "Design of planar thinned arrays using a Boolean differential evolution algorithm," IET Microwave Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, 2172-2178, 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2009.0630
10. Choo, H. and H. Ling, "Design of broadband and dual-band microstrip antennas on a high-dielectric substrate using a genetic algorithm," IEE Proc. Microwave Antennas Propag., Vol. 150, 137-142, 2003. doi:10.1049/ip-map:20030291
11. Kerkhoff, A. J., R. L. Rogers, and H. Ling, "Design and analysis of planar monopole antennas using a genetic algorithm approach," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 2709-2718, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.834429
12. Ohira, M., H. Deguchi, M. Tsuji, and H. Shigesawa, "Multiband single-layer frequency selective surface designed by combination of genetic algorithm and geometry-refinement technique," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, 2925-2931, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.835289
13. Johnson, J. M. and V. Rahmat-Samii, "Genetic algorithms in engineering electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 39, No. 4, 7-21, 1997. doi:10.1109/74.632992
14. Johnson, J. M. and V. Rahmat-Samii, "Genetic algorithms in engineering electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 39, 7-21, 1997. doi:10.1109/74.632992
15. Liu, X. F., X. F., Y. B. Chen, Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "Modified particle swarm optimization for patch antenna design based on IE3D," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 1819-1828, 2007.