The paper demonstrates a novel antenna which can achieve a broad impedance bandwidth and circularly polarized bandwidth with a suspended corner-truncated square patch and a new probe-fed rectangular strip. By incorporating a probe-fed rectangular strip inside a high substantial cavity (~ 0.144λ0), a broad impedance bandwidth (VSWR < 2.0) of 770 MHz (31.43%) is achieved. To obtain a good circularly polarized (CP) bandwidth overlap with the impedance bandwidth, two stubs with optimized lengths are loaded with the non-radiating edges of the corner-truncated square patch symmetrically. Measured results show that the CP antenna features a wide operating bandwidth of 10% ranging from 2.41 GHz to 2.66 GHz (VSWR < 1.5 and axial ratio < 3 dB) and that of 22.45% ranging from 2.31 GHz to 2.86 GHz (VSWR < 2 and axial ratio < 6 dB) and good radiation patterns with cross-polarization level (LHCP) lower than the co-polarization level (RHCP) by more than 20 dB at the broadside direction. The average gain of this antenna is recorded as about 8.16 dBi across the operating bandwidth.
"Broadband Single-Fed Single-Patch Circularly Polarized Microstrip Antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 34, 203-213, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC12091610
1. Chang, T.-N. and J.-H. Jiang, "Enhance gain and bandwidth of circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna using gap-coupled method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 127-139, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09081010
2. Heidari, A. A., M. Heyrani, and M. Nakhkash, "A dual-band circularly polarized stub loaded microstrip patch antenna for GPS applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 92, 195-208, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09032401
3. Huang, Y.-H., S.-G. Zhou, J. Ma, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Optimization of three-dimensional (3-D) ground structure for improved circularly polarized microstrip antenna beamwidth," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 10, 135-143, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09071103
4. Sharma, S. B., D. A. Pujara, S. B. Chakrabarty, and V. K. Singh, "Removal of beam squinting effects in a circularly polarized offset parabolic reflector antenna using a matched feed ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 105-114, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL08122402
5. Chi, L.-P., S.-S. Bor, S.-M. Deng, C.-L. Tsai, P.-H. Juan, and K.-W. Liu, "A wideband wide-strip dipole antenna for circularly polarized wave operations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 69-82, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09112201
6. Secmen, M. and A. Hizal, "A dual-polarized wide-band patch antenna for indoor mobile communication applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 189-200, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09112607
7. Masa-Campos, J. L. and F. Gonzalez-Fernandez, "Dual linear/circular polarized plannar antenna with low profile double-layer polarizer of 45° tilted metallic strips for WiMAX applications," Progress n Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 221-231, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09092406
8. Chi, L.-P., S.-S. Bor, S.-M. Deng, C.-L. Tsai, P.-H. Juan, and K.-W. Liu, "A wideband wide-strip dipole antenna for circularly polarized wave operations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 69-82, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09112201
9. Lee, J. M., N. S. Kim, and C. S. Pyo, "A circular polarized metallic patch antenna for RFID reader," Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Conference on Communications, Perth, Western Australia, Oct. 2005.
10. Wang, Z. B., S. I. Fang, and S. Q. Fu, "A low cost miniaturized CP antenna for UHF radio frequency identification reader applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, Oct. 2009.
12. Wang, C. and K. Chang, "Single-layer wideband probe-fed circularly polarized microstrip antenna," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propagat. Soc. Int. Symp. Dig., 1000-1003, Salt Lake City, UT, 2000.
13. Karmakar, N. C. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Circularly polarized aperture-coupled circular microstrip patch antennas for L-band applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, 933-940, May 1999. doi:10.1109/8.774159
15. Chang, F. S., K. L. Wong, and T. Z. Chiou, "Low-cost broadband circularly polarized patch antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, Oct. 2003.
16. Tong, K. F. and T. P. Wong, "Circularly polarized U-slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 8, 2382-2385, Aug. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.901930
17. Yang, S. S., K.-F. Lee, A. A. Kishk, and K.-M. Luk, "Design and study of wideband single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 45-61, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07110604
18. Khidre, A., K. F. Lee, F. Yang, and A. Eisherbeni, "Wideband circularly polarized E-shaped patch antenna for wireless applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 52, No. 5, Oct. 2010.
20. Sun, L., Y. H. Huang, J. Y. Li, and Q. Z. Liu, "A wideband circularly polarized candy-like patch antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1113-1121, 2011. doi:10.1163/156939311795762105
21. Wang, Z., S. Fang, S. Fu, and M. Fan, "Single-fed single-patch broadband circularly polarized antenna for UHF RFID reader applications," 2010 2nd International Conference on Industrial and Information Systems, Vol. 1, 87-89, 2010. doi:10.1109/INDUSIS.2010.5565908
22. Chen, Z. N. and M. Y. W. Chia, "Broad-band suspended probe-fed plate antenna with low cross-polarization levels," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, 345-346, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.809062
23. Lo, Y. T., D. Solomon, and W. F. Richards, "Theory and experiment on microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 27, 137-145, Mar. 1979. doi:10.1109/TAP.1979.1142057