This paper is concerned with the theory of wave propagation in biaxial anisotropic media. Consider a multilayered planar structure composed of media with electric and magnetic anisotropy, surrounded by two half spaces. Exat relations for reflection coefficient from this structure can be useful for arriving at the intended applications. In this paper, by matching of transverse field components at the bounderies, we will arrive at exact recursive relations for reflection coefficient of the structure. In the previous works, the magnetic and electric anisotropy were not taken into consideration at the same time, or complex relations were arrived. But using this novel method, those complexities will not appear and both electric and magnetic anisotropy are take into consideration. Moreover, we will not set any limits on the right half-space so the right most half-space may be a PEC, PMC, PEMC, surface impedance, dielectric or a metamaterial. Finally, the last section of the paper confirms the validity of the relations arrived at and as an interesting application; the zero reflection condition will be obtained.
1. Qiao, S., G. Zheng, and L. Ran, "Enhancement of evanescent wave in an electrically anisotropic slab with partially negative permittivity tensor," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 10, 1341-1350, 2008. doi:10.1163/156939308786348965
2. Wang, M.-Y., J. Xu, J.Wu, B.Wei, H.-L. Li, T. Xu, and D.-B. Ge, "FDTD study on wave propagation in layered structures with biaxial anisotropic metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 253-265, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07122602
3. Bass, F. G. and L. Resnick, "The electromagnetic-wave propagation through a stratified inhomogeneous anisotropic medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 48, 67-83, 2004. doi:10.2528/PIER03122302
4. Lindell, I. V., "Decomposition of electromagnetic fields in bi-anisotropic media," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 11, No. 5, 645-657, 1997. doi:10.1163/156939397X00882
5. Kong, J. A., Theory of Electromagnetic Wave, Wiley, New York, 1986.
6. Ren, W., "Contributions to the electromagnetic wave theory of bounded homogeneous anisotropic media," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 47, No. 1, 664-673, Jan. 1993. doi:10.1103/PhysRevE.47.664
7. Cohoon, D. K., "An exact solution of mie type for scattering by a multilayer anisotropic sphere," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 3, No. 5, 421-448, 1989. doi:10.1163/156939389X00142
8. Teitler, S. and B. W. Henvis, "Refraction in stratified anisotropic media," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 60, 830-834, Jun. 1970. doi:10.1364/JOSA.60.000830
9. Berreman, D. W., "Optic in stratified and anisotropic media: 4 x 4 matrix formulation ," J. Opt. Soc. Am., Vol. 62, 502-510, Apr. 1972. doi:10.1364/JOSA.62.000502
10. Barkovskii, L. M. and G. N. Borzdov, "Electromagnetic waves in absorbing plane-layered anisotropic and gyrotropic media," J. Appl. Spectrosc., Vol. 23, 985-991, Sep. 1976.
11. Barkovskii, L. M. and G. N. Borzdov, "Reflection of electromagnetic waves from layerde continuously inhomogeneous anisotropic media: Multiple reflection method," Opt. Spectrosc. (USSR), Vol. 45, 701-705, Oct. 1978.
12. Graglia, R. D. and P. L. E. Uslenghi, "Electromagnetic scattering from anisotropic materials, part I: General theory," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 32, 867-869, Aug. 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143422
13. Morgan, M. A., et al., "Electromagnetic scattering by stratified inhomogeneous anisotropic media," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, 191-198, Feb. 1987. doi:10.1109/TAP.1987.1144069
14. Graglia, R. D., et al., "Reflection and transmission for planar structures of bianisotropic media," Electromagnetics, Vol. 11, No. 2, 193-208, 1991. doi:10.1080/02726349108908273
15. Titchener, J. B. and J. R. Willis, "The reflection of electromagnetic waves form stratified anisotropic media," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, 35-40, Jan. 1991. doi:10.1109/8.64432
16. Tsalamengas, J. L., "Interaction of electromagnetic waves with general bianisotropic slabs," IEEE Trans. Microwave Therory Tech., Vol. 40, 1870-1879, Oct. 1992.
17. Lindell, I. V., et al., "Vector transmission-line and circuit theory for bi-isotropic layered structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 7, No. 1, 147-173, 1993. doi:10.1163/156939393X01119
18. Yang, H. D., "A spectral recursive transformation method for electromagnetic waves in generalized anisotropic layered media," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, 520-527, Mar. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.558667
19. Ning, J. and E. L. Tan, "Hybrid matrix method for stable analysis of electromagnetic waves in stratified bianisotropic media," IEEE Microwave Wireless Comp. Lett., Vol. 18, 653-656, Oct. 2008. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2008.2003446
20. Orfanidis, S. J., "Electromagnetic waves and antennas,", Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Rutgers University, Jun. 2004.