In recent years, active Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) tags have crossed into ultra low power domain. With obvious advantages over passive tags, a setback for active tag growth is the need for battery replacement and limited operational life. Battery life could be extended by scavenging surrounding Wi-Fi signals using rectenna architecture which consists of a receiving antenna attached to a rectifying circuit. A seven stage Cockroft-Walton voltage multiplier optimized for low input power (below 0 dBm) is proposed. Prototype was fabricated on RT/Duroid 5880 (RO5880) printed circuit board (PCB) substrate with dielectric constant and loss tangent of 2.2 and 0.0009 respectively. Experimental results show that 2 V output voltage can be harvested from an operating frequency of 2.48 GHz with -9 dBm (0.13 mW) sensitivity with 1.57 mm board thickness.
Samuel Siong Boon Hong,
Rosdiazli B. Ibrahim,
Mohd Haris Md Khir,
Mohd Azman Zakariya,
"Wi-Fi Energy Harvester for Low Power RFID Application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 40, 69-81, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13041608
1. Roussos, G. and V. Kostakos, "RFID in pervasive computing: State-of-the-art and outlook," Pervasive and Mobile Computing, Vol. 5, 110-131, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.pmcj.2008.11.004
2. Harrop, P. and R. Das, "Active RFID and Sensor Networks 2011-2021,", RFID Report, IDTechEx, Cambridge, UK, Jun. 2011.
3. Wireless Broadband Alliance Ltd., "Global developments in public Wi-Fi,", http://www.wballiance.com/wba/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/07/ 16 WBA-Industry-Report-2011- Global-Developments-in-Public-Wi-Fi-1.00.pdf, Accessed on Mar. 24, 2013.
4. Hande, A., R. Bridgelall, and B. Zoghi, "Vibration energy harvesting for disaster asset monitoring using active RFID tags," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 98, No. 9, 1620-1628, 2010. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2010.2050670
5. Pillai, V., H. Heinrich, D. Dieska, P. V. Nikitin, R. Martinez, and K. V. S. Rao, "An ultra-low-power long range battery/passive RFID tag for UHF and microwave bands with a current consumption of 700 nA at 1.5 V," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, Vol. 54, No. 7, 1500-1512, Jul. 2007.
6. Usman, A. D., W. F. Wan Ahmad, M. Z. A. Ab Kadir, M. Mokhtar, and M. A. Zainal Abidin, "Densitometry of electromagnetic field exposure due to Wi-Fi frequency," PIERS Proceedings, 1385-1390, Marrakesh, Morocco, Mar. 20-23, 2011.
7. Epp, L. W., A. R. Khan, H. K. Smith, and R. P. Smith, "A compact dual-polarized 8.51 GHz rectenna for high-voltage (50 V) actuator applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, No. 11, 112-120, Jan. 2000.
8. Park, J. Y., S. M. Han, and T. Itoh, "A rectenna design with harmonic rejecting circular-sector antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, 52-54, Feb. 2004. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2004.827889
9. Curty, J. P., M. Declercq, C. Dehollain, and N. Joehl, Design and Optimization of Passive UHF RFID Systems, Springer, New York, 2010.
10. Nintanavongsa, P., U. Muncuk, D. R. Lewis, and K. R. Chowdhury, "Design optimization and implementation for RF energy harvesting circuits," IEEE Journal on Emerging and Selected Topics in Circuits and System, Vol. 2, No. 1, 24-33, Mar. 2012. doi:10.1109/JETCAS.2012.2187106
11. Chow, E. Y., C.-L. Yang, Y. Ouyang, A. L. Chlebowski, P. P. Irazoqui, and W. J. Chappell, "Wireless powering and the study of RF propagation through ocular tissue for development of implantable sensors," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 6, 2379-2387, Jun. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2144551
12. Yeoh, W. S., "Wireless power transmission (WPT) application at 2.45 GHz in common network,", Ph.D. Thesis, RMIT University, Melbourne, Australia, 2010.
13. Chen, R. H., Y. C. Lee, and J. S. Sun, "Design and experiment of a loop rectenna for RFID wireless power transmission and data communication applications," PIERS Proceedings, 528-531, Beijing, China, Mar. 23-27, 2009.
14. Harrist, D. W., "Wireless battery charging system using RF energy harvesting,", M.Sc. Thesis, University of Pittsburgh, 2004.
15. Fritzin, J., C. Svensson, and A. Alvandpour, "Design and analysis of a class-D stage with harmonic suppression," IEEE Transanctions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, Vol. 59, No. 6, 1178-1186, Jun. 2012. doi:10.1109/TCSI.2011.2173389
16. Kim, Y. and S. Lim, "A highly efficient rectenna using harmonic rejection capability," Journal of the Korean Institute of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, Vol. 11, No. 4, 257-261, Dec. 2011. doi:10.5515/JKIEES.2011.11.4.257
17. Witte, R. A., Electronic Test Instruments: Analog and Digital Measurements, Prentice-Hall, New Jersey, 2002.
18. Bianchi, G. and R. Sorrentino, Electronic Filter Simulation & Design, McGraw-Hill, New York, 2007.
19. Chen, W.-K., Passive and Active Filters Theory and Implementations, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1986.
20. Choma, J., "Coupled inductor, constant resistance, broadband delay filter," Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, Vol. 54, No. 1, 7-20, Dec. 2007. doi:10.1007/s10470-007-9115-z
21. Samanta, K. K. and I. D. Robertson, "Dielectric thickness and ground width effect on multilayer coplanar components and circuits for ceramic multichip modules," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 5, 1127-1132, May 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26759
22. Mikeka, C. and H. Arai, "Design issues in radio frequency energy harvesting system,", http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/25376/InTech-Design issues in radio frequency energy harvesting system.pdf, Accessed on May 7, 2013.
23. Din, N. M., C. K. Chakrabarty, A. Bin Ismail, K. K. A. Devi, and W.-Y. Chen, "Design of RF energy harvesting system for energizing low power devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 49-69, Sep. 2012.