A simple and novel method for increasing the gain at low elevation angle and widening the beamwidth of quadrifilar helix antenna (QHA) is presented. By adding cross dipoles as a reflector, the right hand circular polarization (RHCP) gain at 5° elevation angle (theta=85°) increases by about 1.4 dB. Parametric studies are performed to explore the performance improvements. An antenna for CNSS (Compass Navigation Satellite System, 2.492 GHz) application is realized based on the studies. The RHCP gain at 5° elevation angle is about 0.6 dB, and 3dB beamwidth is greater than 220°. 10 dB impedance bandwidth is more than 24%, and 3dB axial ratio bandwidth is more than 32%. Measured results are presented to validate the proposed method.
"Wide Beamwidth Quadifilar Helix Antenna with Cross Dipoles," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 40, 229-242, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13042403
1. Evans, J. V., "Satellite systems for personal communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 39, 7-20, 1997. doi:10.1109/74.598556
4. Adams, A., R. Greenough, R. Wallenberg, A. Mendelovicz, and C. Lumjiak, "The quadrifilar helix antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 22, 173-178, 1974. doi:10.1109/TAP.1974.1140755
5. Liao, W. and Q. X. Chu, "Dual-band circularly polarized microstrip antenna with small frequency ratio," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 15, 145-152, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERL10052101
6. Li, X. H., X. S. Ren, Y. Z. Yin, L. Chen, and Z. D. Wang, "A wideband twin-diamond-shaped circularly polarized patch antenna with gap-coupled feed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 15-24, 2013.
7. Deng, J. Y., Y. Z. Yin, Y. H. Huang, J. Ma, and Q. Z. Liu, "Compact circularly polarized microstrip antenna with wide beamwidth for compass satellite service," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 11, 113-118, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERL09080801
8. Yang, S. S., K. F. Lee, A. A. Kishk, and K. M. Luk, "Design and study of wideband single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 45-61, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER07110604
9. Deng, J. Y., L. X. Guo, T. Q. Fan, Z. S. Wu, Y. J. Hu, and J. H. Yang, "Wideband circularly polarized suspended patch antenna with indented edge and gap-coupled feed," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 151-159, 2013.
10. Hussein, Z. A., "Ground plane effects on quadrifilar helix antenna phase center and radiation characteristics for GPS applications," IEEE Antennas Propag. Symp., Vol. 3, 1594-1597, 1991.
11. Schrott, A., M. Itaab, and H. Foster, "The antenna system of a distress buoy for use in a maritime satellite communication system (MARSAT)," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 24, 102-105, 1976. doi:10.1109/TAP.1976.1141289
12. Kazama, Y., "A quadrifilar helical antenna with parasitic loop," IEEE Antennas Propag. Symp., Vol. 2, 1016-1019, 1994.
13. Kawakami, H. and G. Sato, "A quardriflar fraction-turn cone type helix antennas with reflector and cross and cross dipole," IEE 7th International Conference on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, 34-37, 1991.
14. Chen, Z. N., W. K. Toh, and X. M. Qing, "A microstrip patch antenna with broadened beamwidth," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 7, 1885-1888, 2008. doi:10.1002/mop.23539
15. Latif, S. I. and L. Shafai, "Hybrid perturbation scheme for wide angle circular polarisation of stacked square-ring microstrip antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 20, 1065-1066, 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20071572
16. Su, C. W., S. K. Huang, and C. H. Lee, "CP microstrip antenna with wide beamwidth for GPS band application," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 20, 1062-1063, 2007. doi:10.1049/el:20071691
17. He, H. D., "A novel wide beam circular polarization antenna --- Microstrip-dielectric antenna," Proc. Int. Conf. on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 48-50, 2003.
19. Zhao, H. M., Y. J. Niu, and T. Liu, "A novel GPS antenna with wide beamwidth," Proc. ICFCC, 49-52, 2010.
20. Chu, Q. X., W. Lin, W. X. Lin, and Z. K. Pan, "Assembled dual-band broadband quadrifilar helix antennas with compact power divider networks for CNSS applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 2, 516-523, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2223443