In this paper, a 4 × 4 indoor Multiple-Input Multiple-Output Ultra-Wideband (MIMO-UWB) measurement campaign in the 2-5 GHz bandwidth is presented. The main contribution of this work is the impact of radio-wave polarization as well as the effect of frequency dependence on the capacity of MIMO-UWB systems working in an office environment. To accomplish this, the capacityfor different polarizations is analyzed under two different assumptions: constant or variable Signalto-Noise Ratio.
"MIMO Capacity in UWB Channels in an Office Environment for Different Polarizations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 44, 109-122, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13060310
1. Molisch, A. F., "Ultra-wide-band propagation channels," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 97, No. 2, 353-371, Feb. 2009. doi:10.1109/JPROC.2008.2008836
2. Abouda, A. A., H. M. El-Sallabi, and S. G. Haggman, "Effect of antenna array geometry and ULA azimuthal orientation on MIMO channel properties in urban city street grid," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 257-278, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER06050801
3. Winters, J., "On the capacity of radio communication systems with diversity in a Rayleigh fading environment," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 5, No. 5, 871-878, Jun. 1987. doi:10.1109/JSAC.1987.1146600
4. Foschini, G. J. and M. J. Gans, "On limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas," Wireless Personal Commun., Vol. 6, No. 3, 311-335, Mar. 1998. doi:10.1023/A:1008889222784
5. Di Bari, R., Q. H. Abbasi, A. Alomainy, and Y. Hao, "An advanced UWB channel model for body-centric wireless networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 79-99, 2013.
6. Gesbert, D., M. Shafi, D.-S. Shiu, P. Smith, and A. Naguib, "From theory to practice: An overview of MIMO space-time coded wireless systems," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 281-282, Apr. 2003. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2003.809458
7. Zhao, X., S. Geng, L. Vuokko, J. Kivinen, and P. Vainikainen, "Polarization behaviors at 2, 5 and 60 GHz for indoor mobile communications," Wireless Personal Commun., Vol. 27, No. 2, 99-115, Nov. 2003. doi:10.1023/B:WIRE.0000003825.20103.5f
8. Kyritsi, P., D. C. Cox, R. A. Valenzuela, and P. W. Wolniansky, "Effect of antenna polarization on the capacity of a multiple element system in an indoor environment," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 20, No. 6, 1227-1239, Aug. 2002. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2002.801225
9. Wallace, J. W., M. A. Jensen, and A. L. Swindlehurst, "Experimental characterization of the MIMO wireless channel: Data acquisition and analysis," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 2, No. 2, 335-343, Mar. 2003. doi:10.1109/TWC.2003.808975
10. Sibille, A., "Time-domain diversity in ultra-wideband MIMO communications," EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, Vol. 3, 316-327, 2005.
11. Wang, L.-C., W.-C. Liu, and K.-J. Shieh, "On the performance of using multiple transmit and receive antennas in pulse-based ultrawideband systems," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 4, No. 6, 2738-2750, Nov. 2005. doi:10.1109/TWC.2005.858009
12. Yang, L. and G. B. Giannakis, "Analog space-time coding for multiantenna ultra-wideband transmissions," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 52, No. 3, 507-517, Mar. 2004. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.2004.823644
13. Liu, H., R. C. Qiu, and Z. Tian, "Error performance of pulse-based ultrawideband MIMO systems over indoor wireless channels," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 4, No. 6, 2939-2944, Nov. 2005.
14. Malik, W. Q. and D. J. Edwards, "Measured MIMO capacity and diversity gain with spatial and polar arrays in ultrawideband channels," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 55, No. 12, 2361-2370, Dec. 2007. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.2007.910700
15. Zheng, F. and T. Kaiser, "On the evaluation of channel capacity of multi-antenna UWB indoor wireless systems," Proc. 2004 IEEE Int. Symp. Spread Spectrum Tech. Applicat., 525-529, Sydney, Australia, Aug. 30-Sep. 2, 2004.
16. Zheng, F. and T. Kaiser, "On the evaluation of channel capacity of UWB indoor wireless systems," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 56, No. 12, 6106-6113, 2008. doi:10.1109/TSP.2008.2005089
17. Malik, W. Q. and D. J. Edwards, "Measured MIMO capacity and diversity gain with spatial and polar arrays in ultrawideband channels," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 55, No. 12, 2361-2370, 2007. doi:10.1109/TCOMM.2007.910700
18. Erceg, V., P. Soma, D. S. Baum, and S. Catreux, "Multiple-input multiple-output fixed wireless radio channel measurements and modelling using dual-polarized antennas at 2.5 GHz," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 3, No. 6, 2288-2298, Nov. 2004. doi:10.1109/TWC.2004.837298
19. Oestges, C., V. Erceg, and A. J. Paulraj, "Propagation modeling of MIMO multipolarized fixed wireless channles," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 53, No. 3, 644-654, May 2004. doi:10.1109/TVT.2004.827149
20. Quitin, F., C. Oestges, F. Horlin, and P. De Doncker, "Polarization measurements and modeling in indoor NLOS environments," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 9, No. 1, 21-25, Jan. 2010. doi:10.1109/TWC.2010.01.081144
21. Molina-Garcia-Pardo, J. M., J.-V. Rodriguez, and L. Juan-Llacer, "Polarized indoor MIMO channel measurements at 2.45 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3818-3828, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.2005542
22. Chehri, A., P. Fortier, and P. M. Tardif, "Large-scale fading and time dispersion parameters of UWB channel in underground mines," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2008, Article ID 806326, 10 Pages, 2008.
23. Nkakanou, B., G. Y. Delisle, and N. Hakem, "Experimental char-acterization of ultra-wideband channel parameter measurements in an underground mine," Journal of Computer Networks and Communications, Vol. 2011, Article ID 157596, 7 Pages, 2011, DOI: 10.1155/2011/157596.
24. Ghaddar, M. and L. Talbi, "NLOS UWB undermining experimental characterization & performance evaluation using MB-OFDM," PIERS Proceedings, 1530-1534, Marrakesh, Morocco, Mar. 20-23, 2011.
25. Garcia-Pardo, C., J.-M. Molina-Garcia-Pardo, M. Lienard, D. P. Gaillot, and P. Degauque, "Double directional channel measurements in an arched tunnel and interpretation using ray tracing in a rectangular tunnel," Progress In Electromagnetics Pesearch M, Vol. 22, 91-107, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIERM11070110
26. Recioui, A. and H. Bentarzi, "Genetic algorithm based MIMO capacity enhancement in spatially correlated channels including mutual coupling," Wireless Personal Commun., Vol. 63, No. 3, 689-701, Springer, 2012, DOI: 10.1007/s11277-010-0159-5. doi:10.1007/s11277-010-0159-5
27. Recioui, A. and H. Bentarzi, "Capacity optimization of MIMO wireless communication systems using a hybrid genetic-Taguchi algorithm," Wireless Personal Commun., Vol. 71, No. 2, 2013, DOI: 10.1007/s11277-012-0857-2.
28. Durrani, S. and M. E. Bialkowski, "An investigation into the interference rejection capability of a linear array in a wireless communications system," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 35, No. 6, 445-449, Dec. 2002. doi:10.1002/mop.10634
29. Durrani, S. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Effect of mutual coupling on the interference rejection capabilities of linear and circular arrays in CDMA systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 4, 1130-1134, Apr. 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.825640
30. Lienard, M., P. Degauque, J. Baudet, and D. Degardin, "Investigation on MIMO channels in subway tunnels," Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 21, No. 3, 332-339, 2003. doi:10.1109/JSAC.2003.809627
31. Garcia-Pardo, C., J.-M. Molina-Garcia-Pardo, A. Garrido-Cervantes, J. D. Muhehe, and L. Juan-Llacer, "Frequency dependence of 2-5 GHz polarized UWB channel parameters in o±ce environment," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 6, 2970-2979, Jun. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2194635