We present an efficient scheme for the analysis of electromagnetic scattering from target and environment composite model. In this scheme, the whole computed domain is divided into a target part and an environment part, and each part is formulated by different integral equations. The two parts are solved one by one until the relative residual error is less than a given value. Compared with conventional solution with pure electric field integral equation (EFIE), the proposed scheme has a better convergence and lower memory requirement. Additionally, the multilevel fast multipole algorithm (MLFMA) is utilized to accelerate the computations of matrix vector product. Simulated radar-cross-section (RCS) results of several examples demonstrate its validity and efficiency.
1. Michalski, K. A. and D. L. Zheng, "Electromagnetic scattering and radiation by surfaces of arbitrary shape in layered media, Part I: Theory," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 38, No. 3, 335-344, Mar. 1990. doi:10.1109/8.52240
2. Michalski, K. A., D. L. Zheng, and , "Electromagnetic scattering and radiation by surfaces of arbitrary shape in layered media, Part II: Implementation and results for contiguous half-spaces," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 38, No. 3, 345-352, Mar. 1990. doi:10.1109/8.52241
3. Engheta, N., W. D. Murphy, V. Rokhlin, and M. S. Vassiliou, "The fast multipole method (FMM) for electromagnetic scattering problems," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 40, No. 6, 634-641, Jun. 1992. doi:10.1109/8.144597
4. Coifman, R., V. Rokhlin, and S. M. Wandzura, "The fast multipole method (FMM) for the wave equation: A pedestrian prescription," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 35, No. 3, 7-12, Jun. 1993. doi:10.1109/74.250128
5. Chen, J., S. Li, and M. Wang, "Targets identification method based on electromagnetic scattering analysis," 2011 IEEE CIE International Conference on Radar, Vol. 2, 1647-1651, Oct. 2011.
6. Chen, J., S. Li, and Y. Song, "Analysis of electromagnetic scattering problems by means of a VSIE-ODDM-MLFMA method," ACES Journal, Vol. 27, No. 8, 660-667, Aug. 2012.
7. Chen, J., M. Wang, S. Li, M. Zhu, J. Yu, and X. Li, "An IE-ODDM scheme combined with e±cient direct solver for 3D scattering problems," Micro. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 55, No. 9, 2027-2033, Sep. 2013. doi:10.1002/mop.27742
8. Chang, X. and L. Tsang, "A new efficient method for modeling dense via arrays with 1D method of moment and group T matrix," 2012 Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging International Symposium, 163-166, Tempe, AZ, USA, Oct. 2012.
9. Tsang, L. and X. Chang, "Modeling of vias sharing the same antipad in planar waveguide with boundary integral equation and group T matrix method," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 3, 315-327, Feb. 2013. doi:10.1109/TCPMT.2012.2220771
10. Rao, S. M., D. R. Wilton, and A. W. Glisson, "Electromagnetic scattering by surface of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 30, No. 3, 409-418, May 1982. doi:10.1109/TAP.1982.1142818
11. Ergul, O. and L. Gurel, "Hybrid CFIE-EFIE solution of composite geometries with coexisting open and closed surfaces," IEEE Antennas Propag. Symp., Vol. 4B, 289-292, Jul. 2005.
12. Gurel, L. and O. Ergul, "Extending the applicability of the combined-field integral equation to geometries containing open surfaces," IEEE Antennas and Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 515-516, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.887552
13. Jakobus, U. and F. M. Landstorfer, "Improved PO-MM hybrid formulation for scattering from three-dimensional perfectly conducting bodies of arbitrary shape," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 43, No. 2, 162-169, Feb. 1995. doi:10.1109/8.366378
14. Chen, H. T., G. Q. Zhu, J. X. Luo, and F. Yuan, "A modified MoM-PO method for analyzing wire antennas near to coated PEC plates," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1818-1822, Jun. 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.923371
15. Song, J. M. and W. C. Chew, "Multilevel fast-multipole algorithm for solving combined field integral equation of electromagnetic scattering," Micro. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 10, No. 1, 14-19, Sep. 1995. doi:10.1002/mop.4650100107
16. Lu, C. C. and W. C. Chew, "A multilevel algorithm for solving boundary integral equations of wave scattering," Micro. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 7, No. 10, 466-470, Jul. 1994. doi:10.1002/mop.4650071013
17. Song, J. M., C. C. Lu, and W. C. Chew, "Multilevel fast multipole algorithm for electromagnetic scattering by large complex objects," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 45, No. 10, 1488-1493, Oct. 1997. doi:10.1109/8.633855
18. Shao, H., J. Hu, Z.-P. Nie, G. Han, and S. He, "Hybrid tangential equivalence principle algorithm with MLFMA for analysis of array structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 127-141, 2011.
19. Ping, X. W., T.-J. Cui, and W. B. Lu, "The combination of BCGSTAB with multifrontal algorithm to solve FEBI-MLFMA linear systems arising from inhomogeneous electromagnetic scattering problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 91-105, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09050604
20. Peng, Z., X.-Q. Sheng, and F. Yin, "An efficient twofold iterative algorithm of FE-BI-MLFMA using multilevel inverse-based ILU preconditioning," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 369-384, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09060305
21. Wallen, H. and J. Sarvas, "Translation procedures for broadband MLFMA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 55, 47-78, 2005. doi:10.2528/PIER05021001
22. Islam, S., J. Stiens, G. Poesen, R. Vounckx, J. Peeters, I. Bogaert, D. de Zutter, and W. de Raedt, "Simulation and experimental verification of w-band finite frequency selective surfaces on infinite background with 3D full wave solver NSPWMLFMA," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 189-202, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER09122104
23. Taboada, J. M., M. G. Araujo, J. M. Bertolo, L. Landesa, F. Obelleiro, and J. L. Rodriguez, "MLFMA-FFT parallel algorithm for the solution of large-scale problems in electromagnetics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 15-30, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10041603