This paper presents a simple method of tuning the AMC band of a high-impedance surface. The tunability is obtained with only two varactor diodes and a simple biasnetwork. The proposed structure, when used as a ground plane for a microstrip antenna, splits the resonance frequencies on the two sides of a reference antenna frequency. The resonance split is analyzed by employing cavity model and transmission line model of the patch antenna. Considerable tuning range is obtained in both the split bands. The simulated, measured and calculated results are found to be in good agreement.
1. Bianconi, G., F. Costa, S. Genovesi, and A. Monorchio, "Optimal design of dipole antenna backed by finite high-impedance screen," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 18, 137-151, 2011.
2. Sievenpiper, D. F., "Forward and backward leaky wave radiation with large effective aperture from an electronically tunable surface," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 236-247, Jan. 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.840516
3. Panayi, P., M. Al-Nuaimi, and I. Ivrissimtzis, "Tuning techniques for planar inverted-F antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 37, No. 16, 1003-1004, 2001. doi:10.1049/el:20010692
4. Kolsrud, A., M.-Y. Li, and K. Chang, "Dual-frequency electronically tunable CPW-fed CPS dipole antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 7, 609-611, 1998. doi:10.1049/el:19980495
5. Behdad, N. and K. Sarabandi, "Dual-band reconfigurable antenna with a very wide tuning range," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, 409-416, Feb. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.863412
6. Kitatani, K. and S. Yamamoto, "Coaxial feed-type microstrip patch antenna with variable antenna height," Electron. Commun. Jpn. (Part I: Communications), Vol. 87, No. 2, 10-16, 2004. doi:10.1002/ecja.10173
7. Aberle, J., S.-H. Oh, D. Auckland, and S. Rogers, "Reconfigurable antennas for wireless devices," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 45, No. 6, 148-154, 2003. doi:10.1109/MAP.2003.1282191
9. Behdad, N. and K. Sarabandi, "A varactor-tuned dual-band slot antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 401-408, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.863373
10. Anagnostou, D., G. Zheng, M. Chryssomallis, J. Lyke, G. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and C. Christodoulou, "Design, fabrication, and measurements of an RF-MEMS-based self-similar reconfigurable antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, 422-432, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.863399
11. Cetiner, B. A., H. Jafarkhani, J.-Y. Qian, H. J. Yoo, A. Grau, and F. de Flaviis, "Multifunctional reconfigurable MEMS integrated antennas for adaptive MIMO systems ," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 42, No. 12, 62-70, 2004. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2004.1367557
12. Al-Dahleh, R., C. Shafai, and L. Shafai, "Frequency-agile microstrip patch antenna using a reconfigurable MEMS ground plane," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 1, 64-67, 2004. doi:10.1002/mop.20376
13. Cetiner, B. A., J. Y. Qian, H. P. Chang, M. Bachman, G. P. Li, and F. de Flaviis, "Monolithic integration of RF MEMS switches with a diversity antenna on PCB substrate," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 51, 332-335, Jan. 2003. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2002.806521
14. Jung, C. W., M. J. Lee, G. P. Li, and F. de Flaviis, "Reconfigurable scan-beam single-arm spiral antenna integrated with RF-MEMS switches," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, 455-463, Feb. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.863407
15. Liang, J. and H. Y. D. Yang, "Microstrip patch antennas on tunable electromagnetic band-gap substrates," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 6, 1612-1617, Jun. 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2019928
16. Costa, F., A. Monorchio, S. Talarico, and F. M. Valeri, "An active high impedance surface for low profile tunable and steerable antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 676-680, 2008. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2008.2006070
17. Sievenpiper, D. F., J. H. Schaffner, H. J. Song, R. Y. Loo, and G. Tangonan, "Two-dimensional beam steering using an electrically tunable impedance surface," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 51, No. 10, 2713-2722, Oct. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817558
18. Mias, C. and J. H. Yap, "A varactor-tunable high impedance surface with a resistive-lumped-element biasing grid," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, No. 7, 1955-1962, Jul. 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.900228
19. Costa, F., A. Monarchio, and G. P. Vastante, "Tunable high-impedance surface with a reduced number of varactors," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 11-13, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2107723
20. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, 2001.
21. Costa, F., A. Monorchio, and G. Manara, "An equivalent-circuit modeling of high impedance surfaces employing arbitrarily shaped FSS," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 852-855, Charleston, USA, 2009.
22. Costa, F., S. Genovesi, and A. Monorchio, "On the bandwidth of high-impedance frequency selective surfaces," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1341-1344, 2009. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2009.2038346