We report the numerical and experimental investigation of a highly directive Fabry-Perot (FP) cavity antenna based on a metamaterial, operating in the microwave regime. Numerical simulations using finite element method and reflection-transmission microwave measurements have been performed and a good quantitative agreement has been observed. Measured return losses and radiations patterns done in an anechoic chamber agree very well with the simulated ones. The potential application of the proposed FP cavity antenna in a non-contact breathing sensor is proposed and evaluated. Experimental record and frequency spectrum for respiratory movements of human-being (voluntary under test) are presented. The low cost and simple fabrication process of the proposed FP cavity antenna make it very promising for its integration in modern telecommunication systems.
"Metamaterial-Based Highly Directive Antenna: Application in a Monochromatic Wave Radar for a Contactless Measurement of the Breathing Activity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 44, 185-195, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERC13090503
1. Lin, J. C., J. Kiernicki, M. Kiernicki, and P. B. Wollschlaeger, "Microwave apexcardiography," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 27, No. 6, 618-620, 1979. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1979.1129682
2. Matsui, T., H. Hattori, B. Takase, and M. Ishihara, "Non-invasive estimation of arterial blood pH using exhaled CO/CO2 analyzer microwave radar and infrared thermography for patients after massive hemorrhage," Journal of Medical Engineering and Technology, Vol. 20, No. 2, 97-101, 2006.
4. Feresidis, A. P., G. Goussetis, S. Wang, and J. C. Vardaxoglou, "Artificial magnetic conductor surfaces and their application to low-profile high-gain planar antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 209-215, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.840528
5. Zhou, L., H. Li, Y. Qin, Z. Wei, and C. T. Chan, "Directive emissions from subwavelength metamaterial-based cavities," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 86, No. 10, 101101-1-101101-3, 2005.
6. Ourir, A., A. de Lustrac, and J.-M. Lourtioz, "All-metamaterial-based sub-wavelength cavities (λ/60) for ultrathin directive antennas," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 88, No. 8, 084103-1-084103-3, 2006. doi:10.1063/1.2172740
7. Yahiaoui, R., S. N. Burokur, and A. de Lustrac, "Enhanced directivity of ultra-thin metamaterial-based cavity antenna fed by multisource," Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 16, 814-816, 2009. doi:10.1049/el.2009.0641
8. Burokur, S. N., R. Yahiaoui, and A. de Lustrac, "Subwavelength metamaterial-based resonant cavities fed by multiple sources for high directivity," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 8, 1883-1888, 2009. doi:10.1002/mop.24485
9. Burokur, S. N., J.-P. Daniel, P. Ratajczak, and A. de Lustrac, "Tunable bilayered metasurface for frequency reconfigurable directive emissions," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 97, No. 6, 064101-1-064101-3, 2010. doi:10.1063/1.3478214
10. Yahiaoui, R., S. N. Burokur, V. Vigneras, A. de Lustrac, and P. Mounaix, "Investigation of spatial filters at microwave frequencies: Application for antenna directivity enhancement," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 5, 1327-1332, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26752