In this paper, we present a new design of multi-resonance monopole antenna for use in microwave imaging systems is presented. The antenna configuration consists of an ordinary square radiating patch, a feed-line, and a modified ground plane with pairs of L-shaped slits and parasitic structures which provides a wide usable fractional bandwidth of more than 130% (2.95-14.27 GHz). In the presented design, by cutting a pair of L-shaped slits and also by embedding a pair of inverted L-shaped parasitic structures in the ground plane additional resonances at 9.5 GHz and 13.7 GHz can be achieved. By using these structures, the usable upper frequency of the antenna is extended from 10.3 GHz to 14.27 GHz. The proposed antenna has a symmetrical structure with ordinary square radiating patch, therefore displays a good omni-directional radiation patterns even at higher frequencies. The antenna has sufficient and acceptable gain level and also its radiation efficiency is greater than 86% across the entire radiating band. The designed antenna has a small dimension.
Naser Ojaroudi Parchin,
"UWB/Omni-Directional Microstrip Monopole Antenna for Microwave Imaging Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 47, 139-146, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14010804
1. Fear, E. C., S. C. Hagness, P. M. Meaney, M. Okonieweski, and M. A. Stuchluy, "Enhancing breast tumor detection with near-field imaging," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 3, No. 1, 48-56, Mar. 2002. doi:10.1109/6668.990683
2. Paulsen, K. D. and P. M. Meaney, "Nonactive antenna compensation for fixed-array microwave imaging --- Part I: Model development," IEEE Trans. Med. Imag., Vol. 18, No. 6, 496-507, Jun. 1999. doi:10.1109/42.781015
3. Bond, E. J., X. Li, S. C. Hagness, and B. D. Van Veen, "Microwave imaging via space-time beamforming for early detection of breast cancer," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 8, 1690-1705, Aug. 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.815446
5. Chiappe, M. and G. L. Gragnani, "Vivaldi antennas for microwave imaging: Theoretical analysis and design considerations," IEEE Trans. Instrum. Meas., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1885-1891, Dec. 2006. doi:10.1109/TIM.2006.884289
6. Yun, X., E. C. Fear, and R. Johnston, "Broadband cross polarized bowtie antenna for breast cancer detection," Proc. IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., Vol. 3, 1091-1094, Columbus, OH, Jun. 2003.
7. Shannon, C. J., E. C. Fear, and M. Okoniewski, "Dielectric filled slot line bowtie antenna for breast cancer detection," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 7, 388-390, 2005. doi:10.1049/el:20057336
8. Kanj, H. and M. Popovic, "Miniaturized microstrip-fed `dark eyes' antenna for near-field microwave sensing," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 397-401, 2005. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2005.859377
9. nsoft High Frequency Structure Simulation (HFSS), Ver. 13, , Ansoft Corporation, 2010.
10. Hossain, I., S. Noghanian, and S. Pistorius, "A diamond shaped small planar ultra wide band (UWB) antenna for microwave imaging purpose," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 5713-5716, 2007.
11. Wu, B., Y. Ji, and G. Fang, "Design and measurement of compact tapered slot antenna for UWB microwave imaging radar," The Ninth International Conference on Electronic Measurement & Instruments, ICEMI'2009, 226-229, 2009.
12. Adnan, S., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, H. I. Hraga, I. T. E. Elfergani, J. M. Noras, and R. Halliwell, "Microstrip antenna for microwave imaging application," PIERS Proceedings, 431-434, Marrakesh, Morocco, Mar. 20-23, 2011.
13. Ojaroudi, N., M. Ojaroudi, and N. Ghadimi, "UWB omnidirectional square monopole antenna for use in circular cylindrical microwave imaging systems," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1350-1353, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2227137
14. Ojaroudi, M., S. Yzdanifard, N. Ojaroudi, and M. Nasser-Moghaddasi, "Small square monopole antenna with enhanced bandwidth by using inverted T-shaped slot and conductor-backed plane," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 2, 670-674, Feb. 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2096386
15. Ojaroudi, N. and N. Ghadimi, "UWB small slot antenna with WLAN frequency band-stop function," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, 1317-1318, 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2013.2577
16. Ojaroudi, N., S. Amiri, and F. Geran, "Reconfigurable monopole antenna with controllable band-notched performance for UWB communications," 20th Telecommunications Forum (TELFOR), 1176-1178, Belgrade, Serbia, Nov. 20-22, 2012.