A novel horizontally polarized (HP) antenna with omnidirectional pattern is presented in this paper. The proposed antenna applies the concept of rotating electric field method to conventional slot dipoles. Two CPW-fed slot dipoles are placed in a perpendicularly conjugate form. By properly arranging the magnitude and phase of input signals, the omnidirectional pattern can be synthesized at broadside. A prototype is developed at the 2.6 GHz band, which offers a horizontally polarized omnidirectional radiation pattern with gain of 2.5-3.4 dBi, and the measured antenna efficiency is greater than 73% through the operating band (2.4-2.8 GHz). Furthermore, a 20-dB polarization purity is achieved in this design. The overall volume of the proposed antenna is 22×22×90 mm3 (0.19λ0×0.19λ0×0.78λ0). Distinct from the other proposed HP antennas provided with planar geometry, this antenna is slim in shape, and it can be readily integrated with vertical dipoles to form a polarization diversity system in current wireless router and AP applications.
Christina F. Jou,
"A Slim Horizontally Polarized Omnidirectional Antenna Based on Turnstile Slot Dipole," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 50, 75-85, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14032501
1. Vaughan, R. G., "Polarization diversity in mobile communications," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 39, No. 3, 177-186, 1990. doi:10.1109/25.130998
2. Balanis, C. A., "Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design," John Wiley & Sons, 2012.
3. Alford, A. and A. G. Kandoian, "Ultrahigh-frequency loop antennas," Trans. AIEE, Vol. 59, No. 12, 843-848, 1940.
4. Lin, C.-C., L.-C. Kuo, and H.-R. Chuang, "A horizontally polarized omnidirectional printed antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3551-3556, 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.884307
5. Ahn, C.-H., S.-W. Oh, and K. Chang, "A dual-frequency omnidirectional antenna for polarization diversity of mimo and wireless communication applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 966-969, 2009.
6. Wu, B. Q. and K.-M. Luk, "A wideband low-profile conical beam antenna with horizontal polarization," Asia Paci¯c Microwave Conference, 1806-1808, 2009.
7. Zhang, G., H. Zhang, Z. Yuan, Z. Wang, and D. Wang, "A novel broadband E-plane omni-directional planar antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 5-6, 663-670, 2010. doi:10.1163/156939310791036296
8. Quan, X. L., R. L. Li, J. Y. Wang, and Y. H. Cui, "Development of a broadband horizontally polarized omnidirectional planar antenna and its array for base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 441-456, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12042405
9. Wei, K., Z. Zhang, and Z. Feng, "Design of a wideband horizontally polarized omnidirectional printed loop antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 49-52, 2012.
10. Yu, Y., F. Jolani, and Z. Chen, "A wideband omnidirectional horizontally polarized antenna for 4G LTE applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 686-689, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2264545
11. Kawakami, H., G. Sato, and R. Masters, "Characteristics of TV transmitting batwing antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 32, No. 12, 1318-1326, 1984. doi:10.1109/TAP.1984.1143266
12. Radnovic, I., A. Nesic, and B. Milovanovic, "A new type of turnstile antenna," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 5, 168-171, 2010. doi:10.1109/MAP.2010.5687522
13. Ando, A., K. Cho, and T. Hori, "Dielectric-loaded slotted-cylinder antennas offering reduced base station interference for personal communication services," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 1454-1457, 1998.
14. Ando, A., A. Kondo, and S. Kubota, "A study of radio zone length of dual-polarized omnidirectional antennas mounted on rooftop for personal handy-phone system," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 57, No. 1, 2-10, 2008. doi:10.1109/TVT.2007.905432
15. Li, Y., Z. Zhang, J. Zheng, and Z. Feng, "Compact azimuthal omnidirectional dual-polarized antenna using highly isolated colocated slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 9, 4037-4045, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2207072
16. Fenn, A., "Arrays of horizontally polarized loop-fed slotted cylinder antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 33, No. 4, 375-382, 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143597
17. Brown, G. H., "Antenna system,", U. S. Patent 2,432,858, Dec. 1947.
18. Amin, M., R. Cahill, and V. Fusco, "Single feed low profile omnidirectional antenna with slant 45o linear polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 3087-3090, 2007. doi:10.1109/TAP.2007.908568
19. Amin, M., J. Yousaf, and S. Iqbal, "Single feed circularly polarised omnidirectional bifilar helix antennas with wide axial ratio beamwidth," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 7, 825-830, 2013. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2012.0630
20. Yousaf, J., M. Amin, and S. Iqbal, Design of circularly polarized omnidirectional bifilar helix antennas with optimum wide axial ratio beamwidth, Vol. 39, 119-132, Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, 2013.