A novel wideband sleeve antenna with capacitive annulus for wireless communication applications is presented in this paper. A sleeve structure is introduced to improve the impedance bandwidth through exciting a new resonate point. By loading capacitive annulus at the center of sleeve, an impedance bandwidth enhancement is achieved at the upper frequency band. The measured impedance bandwidth for VSWR≤2 about 142.8% ranging from 1.01 to 6.06 GHz is achieved, and monopole-like radiation patterns are presented. A prototype has been fabricated and tested, and the experimental results validate the design procedure. It is sufficient for accommodating recent wireless communication services such as DCS1800, PCS1900, IMT2000, WLAN, WiMAX2350/3500, etc.
1. Foudazi, A., H. R. Hassani, and S. M. A. Nezhad, "Small UWB planar monopole antenna with added GPS/GSM/WLAN bands," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 6, 2987-2992, Jun. 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2194632
2. Lin, C.-C., H.-R. Chuang, and Y.-C. Kan, "A 3-12 GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008. doi:10.2528/PIER08070502
3. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "A modified microstrip-fed two-step tapered monopole antenna for UWB and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 137-148, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07080701
4. Mazinani, S. M. and H. R. Hassani, "A novel omnidirectional broadband planar monopole antenna with various loading plate shapes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 241-257, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIER09090203
5. Wunsch, A. D., "Fourier series treatment of the sleeve monopole antenna," IEE Proceedings, Vol. 135, No. 4, 217-225, Aug. 1988.
6. Shen, Z. and R. H. Macphie, "Rigorous evaluation of the input impedance of sleeve monopole by modal-expansion method," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 44, No. 12, 1584-1591, Dec. 1996. doi:10.1109/8.546244
7. Zhou, B., Q. Liu, and Y. Ji, "Research on a novel sleeve antenna and its applications," IEEE International Symposium, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communications Proceedings, Vol. 1, 330-333, 2005.
8. Shen, Z. and R. H. MacPhie, "Theoretical modeling of multi-sleeve monopole antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 31, 31-54, 2001. doi:10.2528/PIER00041802
9. Li, J.-Y. and Y.-B. Gan, "Multi-band characteristic of open sleeve antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 58, 135-148, 2006. doi:10.2528/PIER05090301
10. Wang, S., S.-X. Gong, and P.-F. Zhang, "A novel dual-sleeve antenna unrelated with ground," 2010 9th International Symposium on Antenna Propagation and EM Theory (ISAPE), 205-208, Nov. 29-Dec. 2, 2010.
11. Thomas, K. G., N. Lenin, and M. Screenivasan, "Wide-band dual sleeve antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 3, 1034-1037, Mar. 2006. doi:10.1109/TAP.2006.869942
12. Zhang, Z.-Y., G. Fu, W.-J. Wu, J. Lei, and S.-X. Gong, "A wideband dual-sleeve monopole antenna for indoor base station application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 45-48, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2108255
13. Zhang, Z.-Y., G. Fu, S.-X. Gong, S.-L. Zuo, and Q.-Y. Lu, "Sleeve monopole antenna for DVB-H applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 13, 879-880, Jun. 24, 2010. doi:10.1049/el.2010.1035
14. Khumanthem, T., S. D. Ahirwar, C. Sairam, and A. Kumar, "Design of broadband rectangular sleeve dipole antenna covering 850-2500 MHz," Proceedings of International Conference on Microwave, 492-494, 2008.