As a very powerful optimization algorithm, invasive weed optimization has been widely applied to continuous optimization problems in electromagnetic (EM) field. However, the optimization of a thinned array can be formulated as a discrete-variable optimization problem with solutions encoded as binary strings. Therefore, in this paper, an improved binary invasive weed optimization (IBIWO) is proposed to design a thinned array with minimum sidelobe levels. To evaluate the performance of the proposed algorithm, two examples have been presented and solved. Simulation results of the proposed thinned arrays obtained by IBIWO are compared with published results to verify the effectiveness of the proposed method.
1. Haupt, R. L., "Thinned arrays using genetic algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 7, 993-999, 1994. doi:10.1109/8.299602
2. Wang, X.-K., Y.-C. Jiao, Y. Liu, and Y. Y. Tan, "Synthesis of large planar thinned arrays using IWO-IFT algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 29-42, 2013.
3. Bucci, O. M., T. Isernia, and A. F. Morabito, "A deterministic approach to the synthesis of pencil beams through planar thinned arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 217-230, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIER10010104
4. Mailloux, R. J. and E. Cohen, "Statistically thinned arrays with quantized element weights," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 4, 436-447, 1991. doi:10.1109/8.81455
5. Trucco, A., "Thinning and weighting of large planar arrays by simulated annealing," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control, Vol. 46, No. 2, 347-355, 1999. doi:10.1109/58.753023
6. J., Ye, et al., "Side lobe reduction in thinned array synthesis using immune algorithm," Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 1131-1133, 2008.
7. Quevedo-Teruel, O. S. and E. Rajo-Iglesias, "Ant colony optimization in thinned array synthesis with minimum sidelobe level," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, No. 1, 349-352, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.880693
8. Zhang, L., et al., "Design of planar thinned arrays using a Boolean differential evolution algorithm," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 12, 2172-218, 2010. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2009.0630
9. Wang, W., Q. Feng, and D. Liu, "Synthesis of thinned linear and planar antenna arrays using binary PSO algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 371-387, 2012. doi:10.2528/PIER12020301
10. Oliveri, G., M. Donelli, and A. Massa, "Linear array thinning exploiting almost difference sets," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3800-3812, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2027243
11. Rocca, P., "Large array thinning by means of deterministic binary sequences," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 334-337, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2142290
12. Mehrabian, A. R. and C. Lucas, "A novel numerical optimization algorithm inspired from weed colonization," Ecological Informatics, Vol. 1, No. 4, 355-366, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.ecoinf.2006.07.003
13. Sedighy, S. H., et al., "Optimization of printed Yagi antenna using invasive weed optimization (IWO)," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1275-1278, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2105458
14. Karimkashi, S., A. A. Kishk, and D. Kajfez, "Antenna array optimization using dipole models for MIMO applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 8, 3112-3116, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2158976
15. Foudazi, A. and A. R. Mallahzadeh, "Pattern synthesis for multi-feed reflector antennas using invasive weed optimisation," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 14, 1583-1589, 2012. doi:10.1049/iet-map.2012.0045
16. Monavar, F. M., N. Komjani, and P. Mousavi, "Application of invasive weed optimization to design a broadband patch antenna with symmetric radiation pattern," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1369-1372, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2177801
17. Bai, Y.-Y., et al., "A hybrid IWO/PSO algorithm for pattern synthesis of conformal phased arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, 2328-2332, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2231936
18. Roy, G. G., et al., "Design of non-uniform circular antenna arrays using a modified invasive weed optimization algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 1, 110-118, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2090477
19. Veenhuis, C., "Binary invasive weed optimization," 2010 Second World Congress on Nature and Biologically Inspired Computing (NaBIC), 449-454, 2010. doi:10.1109/NABIC.2010.5716311
20. Lingnan, Z. S. W. Y., "Invasive weed optimization algorithm of discrete binary version," Journal of Huazhong University of Science and Technology (Natural Science Edition), Vol. 10, 15, 2011.