The 2 × 2 multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) capacities of three types of colocated dual-polarized loop (DPL) antennas with different current distributions and isolations are investigated in the free space (FS) channel, the corridor with perfect electric conductor walls (PEC corridor) and the corridor with concrete walls (CON corridor), separately. Capacity results show strong dependences on both the structure and the position of the DPL antenna, in addition to the propagation conditions. For all the three propagation scenarios, the largest capacity can be reached is in the PEC corridor, employing the DPL antenna with a uniform current distribution and a high isolation. Specifically, for a 20 dB signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), the maximum dual-polarized MIMO capacity is 13.1 bps/Hz, which is 1.97 time of that obtained by the one-polarized loop. It is also noted that, the rich-multipath environment can increase the robustness of the DPL MIMO system and the difference of the MIMO capacity obtained by different antenna structures will get smaller with respect to that in the FS channel.
"MIMO Capacity Comparisons of Three Types of Colocated Dual-Polarized Loop Antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 54, 41-48, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14082901
1. Poon, A. S. Y. and D. N. C. Tse, "Degree-of-freedom gain from using polarimetric antenna elements," IEEE Trans. Inf. Theory, Vol. 57, No. 9, 5695-5709, Sep. 2011. doi:10.1109/TIT.2011.2161952
2. Ren, J., D. Mi, and Y. Yin, "Compact ultra-wideband MIMO antenna with WLAN/UWB bands overage," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 50, 121-129, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIERC14041701
3. Stancil, D., A. Berson, J. P. V. Hof, R. Negi, S. Sheth, and P. Patel, "Doubling wireless channel capacity using co-polarized, co-located electric and magnetic dipoles," Electron. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 5, 746-747, Jul. 2002.
4. Ni, W. and N. Nakajima, "Experimental study on the capacity of compact MIMO antennas for portable terminals," Wireless Personal Commun., Vol. 58, 439-453, 2011. doi:10.1007/s11277-010-0129-y
5. Varzakas, P., "Average channel capacity for rayleigh fading spread spectrum MIMO systems," International Journal of Communication Systems, Vol. 19, No. 10, 1081-1087, Dec. 2006. doi:10.1002/dac.784
6. Andrews, M. R., P. P. Mitra, and R. De Carvalho, "Tripling the capacity of wireless communications using electromagnetic polarization," Nature, Vol. 409, 316-318, 2001. doi:10.1038/35053015
7. Elnaggar, M. S., S. K. Chaudhuri, and S. Safavi-Naeini, "Multi-polarization dimensionality of multi-antenna systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 14, 45-63, 2009. doi:10.2528/PIERB08050402
8. Piao, D., "Characteristics of the hexapolarized MIMO channel over free-space and three non-freespace scenarios," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 12, No. 8, 4174-4182, Aug. 2013. doi:10.1109/TWC.2013.071613.122047
9. Piao, D., Y. Mao, and H. Zhang, "Two novel colocated dual-polarized antennas with extremely low mutual coupling for polarization diversity MIMO applications," Proc. The 2nd International Conference on Connected Vehicles & Expo (ICCVE 2013), Las Vegas, USA, Dec. 2-6, 2013.
10. Recioui, A. and H. Bentarzi, "Capacity optimization of MIMO wireless communication systems using a hybrid genetic-taguchi algorithm," Wireless Personal Commun., Vol. 71, 1003-1019, 2013. doi:10.1007/s11277-012-0857-2
11. Wei, K., Z. Zhang, and Z. Feng, "Design of a wideband horizontally polarized omnidirectional printed loop antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 49-52, 2012.
12. Elnour, B. and D. Erricolo, "A novel colocated cross-polarized two-loop PCB antenna in the ISM 2.4-GHz band," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1237-1240, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2104131
13. Foschini, G. J. and M. J. Gans, "On the limits of wireless communications in a fading environment when using multiple antennas," Wireless Pers. Commun., Vol. 6, No. 3, 311-335, 1998. doi:10.1023/A:1008889222784