Active Magnetic Bearings (AMBs) are advantageous due to their active control on rotor position, but are disadvantageous due to their high initial as well running costs. The running cost of AMB can be reduced by improving design of electromagnet so that the same magnetic field can be generated with reduced supply of electric current. In the present paper, analyses of various arrangements of electromagnets using 2D finite element (FE) have been presented. To validate the results of magnetic flux density obtained from theoretical study, experiments were performed, and comparisons have been presented. The electromagnet using Halbach winding arrangement provides the best results.
Kootta Parambil Lijesh,
"Design and Development of Halbach Electromagnet for Active Magnetic Bearing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 56, 173-181, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC15011411
1. Betschon, F., "Design principles of integrated magnetic bearings,", PhD Thesis, 31–32, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, 2000. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2012.2196443
2. Fang, J., Y. Le, J. Sun, and K. Wang, "Analysis and design of passive magnetic bearing and damping system for high-speed compressor," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 48, No. 9, 2528-2537, 2012. doi:10.1109/TMECH.2005.859830
3. Noh, M. D., S. R. Cho, J. H. Kyung, S. K. Ro, and J. K. Park, "Design and implementation of a fault-tolerant magnetic bearing system for turbomolecular vacuum pump," IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatronics, Vol. 10, No. 6, 626-631, 2005. doi:10.1115/1.4029073
4. Lijesh, K. P. and H. Hirani, "Optimization of eight pole radial active magnetic bearing," ASME, Journal of Tribology, Vol. 137, No. 2, 2015, doi: 10.1115/1.4029073. doi:10.1109/77.920097
5. Nagaya, S., N. Kashima, M. Minami, H. Kawashima, and S. Unisuga, "Study on high temperature superconducting magnetic bearing for 10 kWh flywheel energy storage system," IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity, Vol. 11, No. 1, 1649-1652, 2001. doi:10.1002/ls.1252
6. Lijesh, K. P. and H. Hirani, "Stiffness and damping coefficients for rubber mounted hybrid bearing," Lubrication Science, Vol. 26, No. 5, 301-314, 2014. doi:10.1243/13506501JET282
7. Hirani, H. and P. Samanta, "Hybrid (hydrodynamic + permanent magnetic) journal bearings," Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng., Part J, J. Eng. Tribol., Vol. 221, No. 8, 881-891, 2007.
8. Schweitzer, G., H. Bleuler, and A. Traxler, "Active magnetic bearing, basics, properties and applications of active magnetic bearing,", Vdf Hochschulverlag AG an der ETH, Zurich, 1994. doi:10.1109/41.45839
9. Williams, R. D., F. J. Keith, and P. E. Allaire, "Digital control of active magnetic bearings," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 37, No. 1, 19-27, 1990. doi:10.1109/TMECH.2007.892827
10. Sahinkaya, M. N., A. H. G. Abulrub, P. S. Keogh, and C. R. Burrows, "Multiple sliding and rolling contact dynamics for a flexible rotor/magnetic bearing system," IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatronics, Vol. 12, No. 2, 179-189, 2007. doi:10.1109/TMECH.2005.859830
11. Noh, M. D., S. R. Cho, J. H. Kyung, S. K. Ro, and J. K. Park, "Design and implementation of a fault-tolerant magnetic bearing system for turbo molecular vacuum pump," IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatronics, Vol. 10, No. 6, 626-631, 2005.
12. Shankar, S., S. Sandeep, and H. Hirani, "Active magnetic bearing: A theoretical and experimental study," Ind. J. Tribol., Vol. 1, 15-25, 2006. doi:10.1063/1.349857
13. Yonnet, J. P., G. Lemarquand, S. Hemmerlin, and E. Olivier-Rulliere, "Stacked structures of passive magnetic bearings," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 70, No. 10, 6633-6635, 1991.
14. Xu, F., L. Tiecai, Y. Liu, and H. Magnetization, "A study on passive magnetic bearing with Halbach magnetized array," International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems, 2008, ICEMS 2008, 417-420, 2008. doi:10.1109/TMAG.2012.2196443
15. Fang, J., Y. Le, J. Sun, and K. Wang, "Analysis and design of passive magnetic bearing and damping system for high-speed compressor," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 48, No. 9, 2528-2537, 2012. doi:10.1016/0029-554X(80)90094-4
16. Halbach, K., "Design of permanent multipole magnets with oriented rare earth cobalt material," Nuclear Instruments and Methods, Vol. 169, 1-10, 1980.
18. Gan, Z., X. Huang, H. Jiang, L. Tan, and J. Dong, "Analysis method to a Halbach PM ironless linear motor with trapezoid windings," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, No. 10, 4167-4170, 2011. doi:10.1016/j.mechatronics.2006.03.004
19. Edward, J. P., D. Stoikov, L. F. da Luz, and A. Suleman, "A performance evaluation of an automotive magnetorheological brake design with a sliding mode controller," Mechatronics, Vol. 16, No. 7, 405-416, 2006. doi:10.1109/PAC.2001.986521
20. Hartman, N. and R. A. Rimmer, "Electromagnetic, thermal, and structural analysis of RF cavities using ANSYS," Proceedings of the 2001 Particle Accelerator Conference, 2001, PAC 2001, Vol. 2, 912-914, 2001.
21. Pilat, A., "FEMLab software applied to active magnetic bearing analysis," International Journal of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science, Vol. 14, 497-501, 2004.
22. Karus, J. D. and D. A. Fleisch, Electromagnetics with Applications, McGraw-Hill International Editions, 5th edition, Singapore, 1999.