This paper presents the improved isolation property of the signals among transmitter and receiver antennas. The separation wall is laid at the center of the antennas to improve the isolation level between them. The introduced separation wall has serrated edges mounted on three sides i.e., top, left and right sides. These mounted serrated edges are implemented to reduce the diffraction which may occur due to the linear edge of the wall. The Fresnel diffraction problem has been solved using analytical method in order to get the optimized structure of the serration. The Fresnel diffraction patterns due to the different sizes of the serration are obtained, and their relative powers are compared to each other. The implemented antenna system with the serration wall is composed of corrugated feed horn, orthogonal mode transducer, and offset dual-reflector parabolic antennas. The effect of serration is well demonstrated by the measurement of isolation level of the antenna system. The measured results show that the serrated edges enhanced the isolation property among transmitter and receiver antennas.
1. Spitz, S., A. Prata, J. Harrel, R. Perez, and W. Veruttipong, "A 94GHz spaceborne cloud profiling radar antenna system," Aerospace Conference, Vol. 2, 685-694, Big Sky, MT, Mar. 2001.
2. Lee, H. and Y.-H. Kim, "Weather radar network with pulse compression of arbitrary nonlinear waveforms: KA-band test-bed and initial observations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 25, 75-92, 2010. doi:10.2528/PIERB10071402
3. Beeckman, P. A. and M. S. Castaner, "Prediction of the Fresnel region field of a compact antenna test range with serrated edges," Proc. of IEEE Processing, Vol. 133, No. 2, 108-114, Apr. 1986.
4. McKay, J. P. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Quiet zone evaluation of serrated compact range reflectors," Ant. and Propag. Society Inter. Symp., 7-11, May 1990.
5. Lee, T. H. and W. D. Burnside, "Performance trade-off between serrated edge and blended rolled edge compact range reflectors," IEEE Trans. on Ant. Propag., Vol. 44, No. 1, 87-96, Jan. 1996. doi:10.1109/8.477532
6. Acevedo, A. M., M. S. Castaner, and J. L. Besada, "Efficient and accurate hybrid GO-spectral algorithm to design conformal serrated-edge reflectors operating as collimators in millimeter wave compact ranges," Ant. Measurement Tech. Associat. Symp., Oct. 2010.
7. Rudge, A. W. and N. A. Adatia, "Offset-parabolic-reflector antenna: A review," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 66, No. 12, 1592-1618, Dec. 1978. doi:10.1109/PROC.1978.11170
8. Granet, C. and G. L. James, "Design of corrugated horns — A primer," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 47, No. 2, 76-84, Apr. 2005. doi:10.1109/MAP.2005.1487785
9. Lee, S.-W. and Y. R. Samii, "Simple formulas for designing an offset multibeam parabolic reflector," IEEE Trans. on Ant. Propag., Vol. 29, No. 3, 472-478, May 1981. doi:10.1109/TAP.1981.1142611
10. Uhm, M., A. Shishlov, and K. Park, "Offset-paraboloid geometry: Relations for practical use," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., 77-79, Aug. 1996. doi:10.1109/MAP.1996.5174548
11. Milligan, T. A., Modern Antenna Book, 399-405, A John Wiley & Sons, 2005.