A tunable planar bandpass filter based on a technique that utilizes a half mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) and novel inter-resonator coupling is presented. The tunable HMSIW based bandpass filter is implemented using two half triangle shaped cavities coupled together through inter-resonator coupling forming half mode bowtie-shaped structure. The bowtie-shaped filter exhibits similar performance as found in rectangle- and circle-shaped SIW based bandpass filters. This concept reduces the circuit foot print, and miniaturization high quality factor is maintained by the structure. The tunable filter utilizes packaged RF MEMS switches; switching between different configurations of switches achieves four distinctive frequency states between 4.8-5.3 GHz. The filter maintains a constant absolute 1 dB bandwidth of 100±10 MHz for all frequency states.
Muhammad Zaka Ur Rehman,
Mohd Azman Zakariya,
Mohd Haris Md. Khir,
Muhammad Taha Jilani,
Muhammed Talha Khan,
"RF MEMS Based Half Mode Bowtie Shaped Substrate Integrated Waveguide Tunable Bandpass Filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 60, 21-30, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIERC15091407
1. James, J., P. Shen, A. Nkansah, X. Liang, and N. J. Gomes, "Millimeter-wave wireless local area network over multimode fiber system demonstration," IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, Vol. 22, 601-603, 2010. doi:10.1109/LPT.2010.2043249
2. Wang, L., S. Glisic, J. Borngraeber, W.Winkler, and J. C. A Scheytt, "Single-ended fully integrated SiGe 77/79 GHz receiver for automotive radar," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 43, 1897-1908, 2008. doi:10.1109/JSSC.2008.2003994
3. Yan, X., H. Zhang, and C. Wu, "Research and development of intelligent transportation systems," Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Distributed Computing and Applications to Business Engineering & Science, 321-327, Guilin, China, 2012.
4. Wilson, J. P., C. A. Schuetz, R. Martin, T. E. Dillon, P. Yao, and D. W. Prather, "Polarization sensitive millimeter-wave imaging sensor based on optical up-conversion scaled to a distributed aperture," Proceedings of the 37th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, Vol. 1, 23-28, Wollongong, Australia, 2012.
5. Niknejad, A. M. and H. Hashemi, Millimetre-wave Silicon Technology: 60 GHz and Beyond, Springer, 2008.
6. Hirokawa, J. and M. Ando, "Single-layer feed waveguide consisting of posts for plane TEM wave excitation in parallel plates," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, No. 5, 625-630, 1998. doi:10.1109/8.668903
7. Yang, K. S., S. Pinel, K. Kim, and J. Laskar, "Low-Loss integrated-waveguide passive circuits using liquid-crystal polymer System-on-Package (SOP) technology for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 12, 4572-4579, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.886004
8. Xu, J., Z. N. Chen, X. Qing, and W. Hong, "140-GHz planar broadband LTCC SIW slot antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 6, 3025-3028, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2012.2194673
9. Hong, W., B. Liu, and Y. Q. Wang, "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide: A new guided wave structure for microwave and millimeter wave application," IRMMW-THz Conference Digest, 219, 2006.
10. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Accurate modeling, wave mechanisms, and design considerations of a substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2516-2526, 2006. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2006.875807
11. Hong, J.-S., Wiley Series in Microwave and Optical Engineering, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2011. doi:10.1002/9780470937297
12., , Radant MEMS, MA, USA, RMSW221 SPDT RF MEMS switch (datasheet), 2 pages,[Online] Cited 2015-09-01. Available at: http://www.radantmems.com/radantmems.data/Library/RMSW221.pdf.