A broadband substrate to substrate microwave circuit interconnection is proposed using bond wires and defected ground structure (DGS). The proposed square-shaped DGS etched under compensated microstrip open stubs not only expands its operating bandwidth, but also increases the characteristic impedance of microstrip line without narrowing its width, which breaks the PCB fabrication limitation of narrow stubs. The proposed structure can make the impedance of the microstrip line much larger than that without DGS. A 250 Ω characteristic impedance is easily achieved using 0.6 mm microstrip line with the proposed DGS. Measured S21 and S11 of the proposed interconnection are better than -0.8 and -15 dB from DC to 38 GHz, respectively. And a bandwidth increment of more than 1200% is achieved compared with the conventional one.
1. Lee, H. Y., "Wideband characterization of mutual coupling between high density bonding wires," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 4, 265-267, 1994.
2. Lim, J. H., D. H. Kwon, J. S. Rieh, S. W. Kim, and S. W. Hwang, "RF characterization and modeling of various wire bond transitions," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 28, 265-267, 2008.
3. Wang, Z. and J. Yang, "Layout and process characteristics of LTCC substrate for microwave module," IEEE International Symposium on Radio-frequency Integration Technology, 361-366, 2009. doi:10.1109/RFIT.2009.5383660
4. Geist, T., "Broadband microwave circuit interconnection," IEEE proceeding of German Microwave Conference, 231-234, 2010.
5. Lee, H.-Y., "Wideband characterization of a typical bonding wire for microwave and millimeter-wave integrated circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 43, No. 1, 63-68, 1995. doi:10.1109/22.363006
6. Chen, H.-Y. and C.-H. Tai, "Return loss of three types of arching bond wire structures for RF and microwave circuit applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 9, 1701-1704, 2006. doi:10.1002/mop.21807
7. Zhou, B., W. Sheng, and H. Wang, "Bandwidth expansion and slow-wave effect achievement of bond wire interconnection on LTCC substrate," Proc. IEEE Electrical Design of Advanced Packaging and Systems Symposium (EDAPS), 1-4, Hangzhou, China, Dec. 2011.
8. Lim, Y. K. and H. Y. Lee, "Novel slow-wave structure using bond-wire for miniaturizing microwave devices," IEEE Proceeding of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1-4, 2007.
9. Zhou, B., W. Sheng, and H. Wang, "Harmonics suppression of Wilkinson power divider using bond wires with adjustable rejection bands," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 3, 775-777, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26662
10. Zhou, B., W. X. Sheng, and H. Wang, "Slow-wave effect enhanced branch line power divider using crossing bond wires," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, 1246-1247, 2011. doi:10.1049/el.2011.2545
11. Alimenti, F., P. Mezzanotte, L. Roselli, and R. Sorrentino, "Modeling and characterization of the bonding wire interconnection," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 1, 142-150, 2001. doi:10.1109/22.899975