We deal with the problem of determining the profile of a perfectly conducting rough surface from single-frequency and multistatic data. The two fundamental polarizations are investigated, in a two-dimension scattering configuration. Emitting and receiving antennas are positioned on a probing line some wavelengths above the profile. It is shown how the boundary integral equation method can be adapted to the case where the antenna footprint is much wider that the rough part of the profile. The Newton-Kantorovich iterative inversion process is then performed on these synthetic data. Its accuracy and robustness to additive noise are studied in the context of random rough surfaces with correlation length smaller than the wavelength and slope root mean square up to 0.9.
"Inverse Wave Scattering of Rough Surfaces with Emitters and Receivers in the Transition Zone," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 45, 131-141, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERM15103003
1. Ulaby, F. T., R. K. Moore, and A. K. Fung, Microwave Remote Sensing: Radar Remote Sensing and Surface Scattering and Emission Theory, Vol. II, Reading, Artech House, MA, 1982.
3. Kress, R. and T. Tran, "Inverse scattering for a locally perturbed half-plane," Inverse Problems, Vol. 16, No. 5, 1541, 2000. doi:10.1088/0266-5611/16/5/323
4. Tikhonov, A. and V. Arsenin, Solutions of Ill-posed Problems, Scripta Series in Mathematics, Winston, 1977.
5. Elfouhaily, T. and C. A. Guérin, "A critical survey of approximate scattering wave theories from random rough surfaces," Waves in Random Media, Vol. 14, R1-R40, 2004. doi:10.1088/0959-7174/14/4/R01
6. Mendez, O., A. Roger, and D. Maystre, "Numerical solution for an inverse scattering problem of non-periodic rough surfaces," Applied Physics B: Lasers and Optics, Vol. 32, No. 4, 199-206, 1983. doi:10.1007/BF00688288
7. Wombell, R. and J. A. DeSanto, "The reconstruction of shallow rough-surface profiles from scattered field data," Inverse Problems, Vol. 7, No. 1, L7, 1991. doi:10.1088/0266-5611/7/1/002
8. Afifi, S. and M. Diaf, "Scattering by random rough surfaces: Study of direct and inverse problem," Optics Communications, Vol. 265, No. 1, 11-17, 2006. doi:10.1016/j.optcom.2006.02.044
9. Wombell, R. and J. DeSanto, "Reconstruction of rough-surface profiles with the Kirchhoff approximation," Journal of the Optical Society of America A, Vol. 8, No. 12, 1892-1897, 1991. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.8.001892
10. Sheppard, C., "Imaging of random surfaces and inverse scattering in the Kirchoff approximation," Waves in Random Media, Vol. 8, No. 1, 53-66, 1998.
11. Schatzberg, A. and A. J. Devaney, "Rough surface inverse scattering within the rytov approximation," JOSA A, Vol. 10, No. 5, 942-950, 1993. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.10.000942
12. Cmielewski, O., H. Tortel, A. Litman, and M. Saillard, "A two-step procedure for characterizing obstacles under a rough surface from bistatic measurements," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 45, No. 9, 2850-2858, 2007. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2007.902289
13. Ogilvy, J. A., Theory of Wave Scattering from Random Rough Surfaces, Adam Hilger, Bristol, 1991.
14. Tsang, L., J. A. Kong, K. H. Ding, and C. O. Ao, Scattering of Electromagnetic Waves: Numerical Simulations, Wiley Series in Remote Sensing, Wiley-Interscience, 2001. doi:10.1002/0471224308
15. Chew, W., M. Tong, and B. Hu, Integral Equation Methods for Electromagnetic and Elastic Waves, Morgan & Claypool, 2008.
16. Arhab, S., G. Soriano, K. Belkebir, A. Sentenac, and H. Giovannini, "Full wave optical profilometry," JOSA A, Vol. 28, No. 4, 576-580, 2011. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.28.000576
17. Arhab, S., H. Giovannini, K. Belkebir, and G. Soriano, "Full polarization optical profilometry," JOSA A, Vol. 29, No. 8, 1508-1515, 2012. doi:10.1364/JOSAA.29.001508
18. El-Shenawee, M. and E. L. Miller, "Multiple-incidence and multifrequency for profile reconstruction of random rough surfaces using the 3-D electromagnetic fast multipole model," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 42, No. 11, 2499-2510, 2004. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2004.834762
19. Spiga, P., G. Soriano, and M. Saillard, "Scattering of electromagnetic waves from rough surfaces: A boundary integral method for low-grazing angles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, 2043-2050, 2008. doi:10.1109/TAP.2008.924710
20. Meier, A. and S. Chandler-Wilde, "On the stability and convergence of the finite section method for integral equation formulations of rough surface scattering," Mathematical Methods in the Applied Sciences, Vol. 24, No. 4, 209-232, 2001. doi:10.1002/mma.210
21. Kantorovich, L., "On Newton's method for functional equations," Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Vol. 59, 1237-1240, 1948.
22. Roger, A., "Newton-Kantorovitch algorithm applied to an electromagnetic inverse problem," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 29, No. 2, 232-238, 1981. doi:10.1109/TAP.1981.1142588
23. Roger, A., "Reciprocity theorem applied to the computation of functional derivatives of the scattering matrix," Electromagnetics, Vol. 2, No. 1, 69-83, 1982. doi:10.1080/02726348208915158
24. Tsang, L., J. A. Kong, and K. H. Ding, Scattering of electromagnetic Waves: Theories and Applications, Wiley Series in Remote Sensing, Wiley-Interscience, 2000. doi:10.1002/0471224286