In this paper, the robust optimization shape and drive of switched reluctance motors (SRM) are discussed using robust particle swarm optimization (RPSO). The shape optimum goal of the algorithm was found for maximum torque value and minimum torque ripple, following changing the geometric parameters. The drive optimum aim of the algorithm was found minimum torque ripple, following changing the current profiles. The optimization process was carried out using a combination of RPSO and Finite Element Method (FEM). Fitness value was calculated by FEM analysis using COMSOL4.2, and the RPSO was realized by MATLAB 2011. The proposed method has been applied to two case studies and also compared with seeker optimization algorithm. The results show that the optimized SRM using RPSO has higher torque value, lower torque ripple and higher robustness, indicating the validity of this methodology for SRM design and implementation.
Mohammad Javad Navardi,
"Torque and Ripple Improving of a SR Motor Using Robust Particle Swarm Optimization of Drive Current and Dimension," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 45, 195-207, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERM15112207
1. Arkadan, A. A., H. H. Shehadeh, R. H. Brown, and N. A. O. Demerdash, "Effects of chopping on core losses and inductance profiles of SRM drives," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 33, No. 2, 2105-2108, 1997. doi:10.1109/20.582738
2. Vujicic, V. P., "Minimization of torque ripple and copper losses in switched reluctance drive," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 27, No. 1, 388-399, 2012. doi:10.1109/TPEL.2011.2158447
3. Fort, J., B. Skala, and V. Kus, "The torque ripple reduction at the drive with the switched reluctance motor," 15th International Power Electronics and Motion Control Conference (EPE/PEMC), DS2a.16-1-DS2a.16-4, IEEE, 2015.
4. Niapour, S. A., K. H. Mozaffari, M. Tabarraie, and M. R. Feyzi, "A new robust speed-sensorless control strategy for high-performance brushless DC motor drives with reduced torque ripple," Control Engineering Practice, Vol. 24, 42-54, 2014. doi:10.1016/j.conengprac.2013.11.014
5. Su, G.-W., M.-Y. Cheng, and W.-C. Chi, "Current loop controller design for torque ripple suppression of switched reluctance motors," 2013 CACS International Automatic Control Conference (CACS), 496-500, IEEE, 2013. doi:10.1109/CACS.2013.6734185
6. Nakazawa, Y., K. Ohyama, H. Fujii, H. Uehara, and Y. Hyakutake, "Improvement of efficiency of switched reluctance motor by single pulse control based on linear torque equation," 15th European Conference on Power Electronics and Applications (EPE), 1-10, IEEE, 2013. doi:10.1109/EPE.2013.6634418
7. Singh, S. K. and R. K. Tripathi, "Minimization of torque ripples in SRM drive using DITC for electrical vehicle application," 2013 Students Conference on Engineering and Systems (SCES), 1-5, IEEE, 2013.
8. Kalaivani, L., P. Subburaj, and M. W. Iruthayarajan, "Speed control of switched reluctance motor with torque ripple reduction using non-dominated sorting genetic algorithm (NSGA-II)," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 53, 69-77, 2013. doi:10.1016/j.ijepes.2013.04.005
9. Mikail, R., I. Husain, Y. Sozer, M. S. Islam, and T. Sebastian, "Torque-ripple minimization of switched reluctance machines through current profiling," IEEE Transactions on Industry Applications, Vol. 49, No. 3, 1258-1267, 2013. doi:10.1109/TIA.2013.2252592
10. Dowlatshahi, M., S. M. Saghaeian Nejad, and J. Ahn, "Torque ripple minimization of switched reluctance motor using modified torque sharing function," 2013 21st Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering (ICEE), 1-6, IEEE, 2013. doi:10.1109/IranianCEE.2013.6599580
11. Ma, C., L. Qu, and Z. Tang, "Torque ripple reduction for mutually coupled switched reluctance motor by bipolar excitations," 2013 IEEE International Electric Machines & Drives Conference (IEMDC), 1211-1217, IEEE, 2013. doi:10.1109/IEMDC.2013.6556287
12. Somesan, L.-E., E. Padurariu, and I.-A. Viorel, "Two simple analytical models, direct and inverse, for switched reluctance motors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 29, 279-291, 2013. doi:10.2528/PIERM12103001
13. Bist, V. and B. Singh, "A brushless DC motor drive with power factor correction using isolated zeta converter," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, Vol. 10, No. 4, 2064-2072, 2014. doi:10.1109/TII.2014.2346689
14. Jin, Y., "Advanced control methods for torque ripple reduction and performance improvement in switched reluctance motor drives,", PhD diss., 2014. doi:10.1109/TII.2014.2346689
15. Youssef, M. Z., "Design and performance of a cost-effective BLDC drive for water pump application," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 62, No. 5, 3277-3284, 2015. doi:10.1109/TIE.2014.2350461
16. Parackal, R. and R. A. Koshy, "PV powered zeta converter fed BLDC drive," 2014 Annual International Conference on Emerging Research Areas: Magnetics, Machines and Drives (AICERA/iCMMD), 1-5, IEEE, 2014. doi:10.1109/AICERA.2014.6908200
17. Abraham, A. and A. Mathew, "Implementation of a novel PFC Cuk rectifier fed brushless DC motor drive," 2014 Annual International Conference on Emerging Research Areas: Magnetics, Machines and Drives (AICERA/iCMMD), 1-5, IEEE, 2014.
18. Navardi, M. J., B. Babaghorbani, and A. Ketabi, "Efficiency improvement and torque ripple minimization of switched reluctance motor using FEM and seeker optimization algorithm," Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 78, 237-244, 2014. doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2013.11.001
19. Xia, C., Y. Xiao, W. Chen, and T. Shi, "Torque ripple reduction in brushless DC drives based on reference current optimization using integral variable structure control," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 61, No. 2, 738-752, 2014. doi:10.1109/TIE.2013.2254093
20. Dowlatshahi, M., S. M. Saghaian Nejad, M. Moallem, and J. Ahn, "Torque ripple reduction of switched reluctance motors considering copper loss minimization," 2014 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Technology (ICIT), 858-865, IEEE, 2014. doi:10.1109/ICIT.2014.6895012
21. Buja, G., M. Bertoluzzo, and R. K. Keshri, "Torque ripple-free operation of PM BLDC drives with petal-wave current supply," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 62, No. 7, 4034-4043, 2015. doi:10.1109/TIE.2014.2385034
22. Gao, X., X. Wang, Z. Li, and Y. Zhou, "A review of torque ripple control strategies of switched reluctance motor," International Journal of Control & Automation, Vol. 8, No. 4, 103-116, 2015. doi:10.14257/ijca.2015.8.4.13
23. Balaji, M. and V. Kamaraj, "Evolutionary computation based multi-objective pole shape optimization of switched reluctance machine," International Journal of Electrical Power & Energy Systems, Vol. 43, No. 1, 63-69, 2012. doi:10.1016/j.ijepes.2012.05.011
24. Tavakkoli, M. A. and M. Moallem, "Torque ripple mitigation of double stator switched reluctance motor (DSSRM) using a novel rotor shape optimization," 2012 IEEE Energy Conversion Congress and Exposition (ECCE), 848-852, IEEE, 2012. doi:10.1109/ECCE.2012.6342730
25. Ren, Z., D. Zhang, and C. S. Koh, "Multi-objective worst-case scenario robust optimal design of switched reluctance motor incorporated with FEM and Kriging," 2013 International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), 716-719, IEEE, 2013.
26. Chiariello, A. G., A. Formisano, R. Martone, and F. Pizzo, "Gradient-based worst case search algorithm for robust optimization," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 51, No. 3, 7205004, 2015.
27. Hong, W. C., "Chaotic particle swarm optimization algorithm in a support vector regression electric load forecasting model," Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 50, No. 1, 105-117, 2009. doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2008.08.031
28. Xiao, S., Y. Li, M. Rotaru, and J. K. Sykulski, "Six sigma quality approach to robust optimization," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 51, No. 3, 7201304, 2014.
29. Mirjalili, S., A. Lewis, and S. Mostaghim, "Confidence measure: A novel metric for robust metaheuristic optimisation algorithms," Information Sciences, Vol. 317, 114-142, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.ins.2015.04.010
30. Lei, G., T. Wang, J. Zhu, Y. Guo, and S. Wang, "System level design optimization method for electrical drive systems - Robust approach," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 62, No. 8, 4702-4713, 2015. doi:10.1109/TIE.2015.2404305
31. Malarvizhi, K. and M. Kumar, "Particle swarm optimization tuned BELBIC controller for 8/6 SRM operation," 2015 2nd International Conference on Electronics and Communication Systems (ICECS), 904-909, IEEE, 2015. doi:10.1109/ECS.2015.7125045
32. Angeline, P. J., "Evolutionary optimization versus particle swarm optimization: Philosophy and performance differences," Evolutionary Programming VII, 601-610, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, 1998.
33. Li, M., R. Silva, F. Guimarães, and D. Lowther, "A new robust dominance criterion for multiobjective optimization," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 51, No. 3, 8201504, 2015.
34. Mirjalili, S. and A. Lewis, "Novel performance metrics for robust multi-objective optimization algorithms," Swarm and Evolutionary Computation, Vol. 21, 1-23, 2015. doi:10.1016/j.swevo.2014.10.005