In this paper, a slot array with a new technique of metamaterial on Electromagnetic Band Gap (EBG) structure is used to demonstrate the possibility of building high gain top-mounted antenna for mobile base station. We describe the method for gain improvement by transferring the electromagnetic fields from a 1×4 slot array with a PEC reflector radiated through the cavity of curved woodpile EBG. The proposed technique not only has the advantages of reducing the total length of the slot array, but also provides higher gain and easier installation. In addition, to provide the azimuth patterns covering 360° around the base station, a triangular array configuration consisting of three panels of such an antenna array has also been presented, while the fabricated cavity of the curved woodpile EBG structure exhibits band gap characteristics at 2.1 GHz for realizing a resonant cavity of the slot array. This idea is verified by comparing between the results from Computer Simulation Technology (CST) software and the experimental results. Finally, it is found that the measured and simulated results are in a good qualitative agreement, and the antenna prototype yields directive gain of each panel around 17.1-17.2 dBi.
"A Triangle Array of 1x4 Slots Antenna with Curved EBG Structures for Cellular Base Station," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 70, 155-164, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16091601
1. Bahl, J. J. and P. Bhartia, Mircostrip Antennas, Artech House, 1980.
2. Bhartia, P., I. Bahl, R. Garg, and A. Ittipipoon, Mircostrip Antennas Design Handbook, Artech House, 2000.
3. Kumar, G. and K. C. Gupta, "Directly coupled multiple resonator wide-band microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 33, No. 6, 588-593, 1985. doi:10.1109/TAP.1985.1143639
4. Pozar, D.M., "Microstrip antenna aperture-coupled to a microstripline," Electronics Letters, Vol. 21, No. 2, 49-50, 1985. doi:10.1049/el:19850034
5. Huynh, T. and K. F. Lee, "Single-layer single-patch wide band microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 31, No. 16, 1310-1312, 1995. doi:10.1049/el:19950950
6. Yang, F., X. Zhang, X. Ye, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Wide band E-shaped patch antennas for wireless communications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 7, 1094-1100, 2001. doi:10.1109/8.933489
7. Chawanonphithak, Y. and C. Phongcharoenpanich, "An ultra-wideband circular microstrip antenna fed by microstrip line above wide-slot ground plane," Asia-Pacific Conference on Communications (APCC), Bangkok, Thailand, October 2007.
8. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2009.
9. Elayachi, M., P. Brachat, and P. Ratajczak, "EBG identification by the Reflection Phase Method (RPM) design for application WiFi antenna," Proceedings of the First European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 1-5, 2006.
10. Joannopoulos, J. D., R. D. Meade, and J. N. Winn, Photonic Crystals: Molding the Flow of Light, Princeton University Press, New Jersey, 1995.
11. Gonzalo, R., P. de Maagt, and M. Sorolla, "Enhanced path-antenna performance by suppressing surface waves using photonic-bandgap substrates," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2131-2138, 1999. doi:10.1109/22.798009
12. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Microstrip antennas integrated with Electromagnetic Bandgap (EBG) structures: A low mutual coupling design for array applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 10, 2936-2946, 2003. doi:10.1109/TAP.2003.817983
13. Llombart, N., A. Neto, G. Gerini, and P. de Maagt, "Planar circularly symmetric ebg structures for reducing surface waves in printed antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3210-3218, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2005.856365
14. Illuz, Z., R. Shavit, and R. Bauer, "Micro-strip antenna phased array with electromagnetic bandgap substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 6, 1446-1453, 2004. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.830252
15. Kamphikul, P., P. Krachodnok, and R. Wongsan, "High-gain antenna for base station using MSA and triangular EBG cavity," PIERS Proceedings, 534-537, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, March 27–30, 2012.
16. Kamphikul, P., P. Krachodnok, and R. Wongsan, "High gain mobile base station antenna using curved woodpile EBG technique," World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology (WASET), Vol. 8, No. 7, 910-916, 2014.
17. Weily, A. R., L. Horvath, K. P. Esselle, B. Sanders, and T. Bird, "A planar resonator antenna based on woodpile EBG material," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 1, 216-223, 2005. doi:10.1109/TAP.2004.840531
18. Lee, Y., X. Lu, Y. Hao, S. Yang, J. R. G. Evans, and C. G. Parini, "Low profile directive millimeterwave antennas using free formed three-dimensional (3D) electromagnetic band gap structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 2893-2903, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2029299