In this paper, a novel quasi-periodic structure for rectangular waveguide technology is proposed. The constituent unit cells of the structure feature a resonant behavior, providing high attenuation levels in the stopband with a compact (small period) size. By applying a smooth taper-like variation to the height of the periodic structure, very good matching is achieved in the passband while the bandwidth of the stopband is strongly increased. Moreover, by smoothly tapering the width of the structure, a band-pass frequency behavior is obtained. In order to demonstrate the capabilities of the novel quasi-periodic structure proposed, a band-pass structure with good matching, wide rejected band, and high-power handling capability has been designed, fabricated, and measured obtaining very good results.
Ivan ArreguiFernando TeberioIsrael ArnedoJon Mikel PercazAdrian Gomez-TorrentMagdalena ChudzikMiguel LasoTxema Lopetegi
, "Resonant Quasi-Periodic Structure for Rectangular Waveguide Technology with Wide Stopband and Band-Pass Behavior," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 69, 97-104, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16092605 http://www.jpier.org/PIERC/pier.php?paper=16092605
1. Oliner, A. and W. Rotman, "Periodic structures in through waveguides," IRE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 7, No. 1, 134-142, 1959. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1959.1124637
2. Marini, S., P. Soto, A. Cover, B. Gimeno, and V. Boria, "Practical design of filters using EBG waveguides periodically loaded with metal ridges," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 63, 13-21, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC15111603
3. Cutler, C. C., "Corrugated wave guide devices,", U.S. Patent 2912695, 1959.
4. Azam, G. and H. Leboutet, "Waveguide structure for linear particle accelerators having an undulating configuration,", U.S. Patent 3263116, 1966.
5. Mallick, K. and G. S. Sanyal, "Electromagnetic wave propagation in a rectangular waveguide with sinusoidally varying width," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 26, No. 4, 243-249, 1978. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1978.1129358
6. Asfar, O. R. and A. H. Nayfeh, "Circular waveguide with sinusoidally perturbed wall," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 23, No. 9, 728-734, 1975. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1975.1128664
7. Bostrom, "Passbands and stopbands for an electromagnetic waveguide with a periodically varying cross section," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 31, No. 9, 752-756, 1983. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1983.1131585
8. Chong, C. K., D. B. McDermott, M. M. Razeghi, N. C. Luhmann, Jr., J. Pretterebner, D. Wagner, M. Thumm, M. Caplan, and B. Kulke, "Bragg reflectors," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 20, No. 3, 393-402, 1992. doi:10.1109/27.142841
9. Kovalev, N. F., I. M. Orlova, and M. I. Petelin, "Wave transformation in a multi-mode waveguide with corrugated walls," Radiophysics and Quantum Electronics, Vol. 11, 449-450, 1968. doi:10.1007/BF01034380
10. Arregui, I. A., A. Lujambio, M. Chudzik, M. A. G. Laso, T. Lopetegi, and M. Sorolla, "Design method for satellite output multiplexer low-pass filters exhibiting spurious-free frequency behavior and high-power operation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 8, 1724-1728, 2010. doi:10.1002/mop.25331
11. Arregui, I. A., A. Lujambio, M. Chudzik, D. Benito, R. Jost, F.-J. G¨ortz, T. Lopetegi, and M. A. G. Laso, "A compact design of high-power spurious free low-pass waveguide filters," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 20, No. 11, 595-597, 2010. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2010.2072989
12. Tang, C. C. H., "Nonuniform waveguide high-pass filters with extremely steep cutoff," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 12, No. 3, 1964. doi:10.1109/TMTT.1964.1125812
13. Hauth, W., R. Keller, and U. Rosenberg, "The corrugated-waveguide band-pass filter --- A new type of waveguide filter," Proceedings of 18th European Microwave Week, 945-949, Stockholm, 1988.
14. Soto, P., E. Tarın, V. E. Boria, C. Vicente, J. Gil, and B. Gimeno, "Accurate synthesis and design of wideband and inhomogeneous inductive waveguide filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, No. 8, 2010. doi:10.1109/TMTT.2010.2052668
15. Saad, A. M. K., "Planar integrated microwave components for terrestrial and satellite application," Proceedings of IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 175-177, St. Louis, MO, 1985.