A compact quad-band slot antenna is presented in this paper. The proposed antenna consists of ground plane, dielectric material and top radiation patch. Firstly, symmetrical L-shaped slots are inserted in a radiation patch. Then to achieve multiband performances, symmetrical square spiral slots and a snakelike area with two symmetrical arms enclosed by a long slot in the ground plane are adopted. The process of design and parametric studies are illustrated in detail. The final quad-band antenna has a small size of 0.22λg×0.28λg = 17×22 mm2 (where λg is the guide wavelength) and covers the frequency bands from 2.39 to 2.48 GHz for lower WLAN, 3.64-3.73 GHz for downlink and 5.98-6.30 GHz for uplink standard satellite communications, and 6.97-7.18 GHz mainly used by the Indian National Satellite System (INSAT). The measured results of the proposed quad-band antenna are in accordance with simulated analysis and show good performance of return loss characteristics, radiation patterns, bandwidths and gains. Especially, with a very small size, the proposed antenna is suitable to be integrated with a portable device for varieties of wireless communication applications.
"A Compact Low-Profile and Quad-Band Antenna with Three Different Shaped Slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 70, 43-51, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC16102704
1. Chu, Q. X. and L. H. Ye, "Design of compact dual-wideband antenna with assembled monopoles," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 12, 4063-4066, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2010.2078451
2. Singh, V., B. Mishra, and P. N. Tripathi, "A compact quad-band microstrip antenna for s and c-band applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 6, 1365-1369, 2016. doi:10.1002/mop.29799
3. Naser-Moghadasi, M., R. A. Sadeghzadeh, M. Fakheri, T. Aribi, T. Sedghi, and B. S. Virdee, "Miniature hook-shaped multiband antenna for mobile applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, No. 12, 1069-1099, 2012.
4. Zhai, H., Z. Ma, Y. Han, and C. Liang, "A compact printed antenna for triple-band WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, No. 1921, 65-68, 2013. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2013.2238881
5. Ojaroudi, N., M. Ojaroudi, and H. Ebarhimian, "Band-notched UWB microstrip slot antenna with enhanced bandwidth by using a pair of C-shaped slots," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 2, 515-518, 2012. doi:10.1002/mop.26584
6. Singh, D. K., B. K. Kanaujia, S. Dwari, G. P. Pandey, and S. Kumar, "Novel quad-band circularly polarized capacitive-fed microstrip antenna for C-band applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 11, 2622-2628, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29393
7. Chen, W. F., D. Yu, and S. X. Gong, "An omnidirectional triple-band circular patch antenna based on open elliptical-ring slots and the shorting vias," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 150, 197-203, 2015. doi:10.2528/PIER15010201
8. Basaran, S. C., U. Olgun, and K. Sertel, "Multiband monopole antenna with complementary splitring resonators forWLAN andWiMAX applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 10, 636-638, 2013. doi:10.1049/el.2013.0357
9. Liu, H. W, C. H. Ku, and C. F. Yang, "Novel CPW-fed planar monopole antenna for WiMAX/WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, No. 1, 240-243, 2010. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2010.2044860
10. Koo, T. W., D. Kim, J. I. Ryu, J. C. Kim, and J. G. Yook, "A coupled dual-U-shaped monopole antenna for WiMAX triple-band operation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 53, 745-748, 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.25842
11. Chen, S., M. Fang, D. Dong, M. Han, and G. Liu, "Compact multiband antenna for GPS/WiMAX/WLAN applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 8, 1769-1773, 2015. doi:10.1002/mop.29189
12. Ma, K., Z. Zhao, J. Wu, M. S. Ellis, and Z. P. Nie, "A printed Vivaldi antenna with improved radiation patterns by using two pairs of eye-shaped slots for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 148, No. 148, 63-71, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14043003
13. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Bandwidth enhancement of novel compact single and dual band-notched printed monopole antenna with a pair of L-shaped slots," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3978-3983, 2009. doi:10.1109/TAP.2009.2023475