A multi-band antenna with omnidirectional radiation performance is proposed, which consists of 9 elements to form the structure of hexagonal prism. According to the placement rule, the antenna elements can be divided into two groups, one of which is placed in parallel on spaced three surfaces of the prism and the other placed vertically on the remaining spaced three faces of the prism. Each parallel element consists of two coplanar microstrip radiating patches which are nested within each other for miniaturization. Two parallel microstrips connected by a grounded disc with shorting pin are placed between the two patches to optimize the isolations. Each vertical element consists of two improved dipoles with four arms and a BALUN located at the back of the substrate plate which constitutes the quasi-Yagi structure. The resonant frequencies of the proposed prismatic antenna are 3.45 GHz, 4.9 GHz, 5.8 GHz and15.2 GHz which can be used for low frequency bands of the fifth generation (5G) wireless communications and wireless local area networks (WLAN) as well as satellite communication applications.
"Multi-Band Omnidirectional Antenna with Hexagonal Prism Shape for MIMO Applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C,
Vol. 75, 75-86, 2017. doi:10.2528/PIERC17033101
1. Patel, S., C. Malhar, and K. Kinjal, "5G: Future mobile technology-vision 2020," International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 54, No. 17, 6-10, 2012. doi:10.5120/8656-2264
2. Sun, C. C. and H. T. Chou, "Summary and progress of MM-wave antenna technologies for 5G application," 2016 IEEE International Symposium on Radio-Frequency Integration Technology, 1-3, 2016.
3. Ji, H., Y. Kim, J. Lee, E. Onggosanusi, Y. Nam, J. Zhang, B. Lee, and B. Shim, "Overview of full-dimension MIMO in LTE-advanced pro," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 99, 2-11, 2016.
4. Kim, Y., H. Ji, J. Lee, Y. H. Nam, B. L. Ng, I. Tzanidis, Y. Li, and J. Zhang, "Full dimension MIMO (FD-MIMO): The next evolution of MIMO in LTE systems," IEEE Wireless Communications, Vol. 21, No. 2, 26-33, 2014. doi:10.1109/MWC.2014.6812288
5. Gao, Y., R. Ma, Y. Wang, Q. Zhang, and C. Parini, "Stacked patch antenna with dual-polarization and low mutual coupling for massive MIMO," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 10, 4544-4549, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2593869
6. Zheng, J., X. Gao, and Z. Zhang, "A compact eighteen-port antenna cube for MIMO systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 445-455, 2012. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2173449
7. Zheng, W. C., L. Zhang, Q. X. Li, and Y. Leng, "Dual-band dual-polarized compact bowtie antenna array for anti-interference MIMO WLAN," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 1, 237-246, 2014. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2287287
8. Wang, H., L. S. Liu, and Z. J. Zhang, "A tri-port MIMO antenna designed for micro/pico cell applications with self-decoupled structure," China Communications, Vol. 11, No. 11, 1-6, 2014.
9. Bouezzeddine, M. and W. L. Schroeder, "Design of a wideband, tunable four-port MIMO antenna system with high isolation based on the theory of characteristic modes," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 7, 1-1, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2543757
10. Malekpour, N. and M. A. Honarvar, "Design of high-isolation compact MIMO antenna for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 62, 119-129, 2016. doi:10.2528/PIERC15120902
11. Luo, Y., Q. Chu, J. Li, and Y. Wu, "A planar H-shaped directive antenna and its application in compact MIMO antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 9, 4810-4814, 2013. doi:10.1109/TAP.2013.2267193
12. Hsu, C., K. Lin, and H. Su, "Implementation of broadband isolator using metamaterial-inspired resonators and a T-shaped branch for MIMO antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 10, 3936-3939, 2011. doi:10.1109/TAP.2011.2163741
13. Novak, M. H. and J. L. Volakis, "Ultrawideband antennas for multiband satellite communications at UHF-Ku frequencies," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 4, 1334-1341, 2015. doi:10.1109/TAP.2015.2390616
14. Tan, H., W. Li, T. Wang, J. Fang, and Z. Feng, "The analysis on the candidate frequency bands of future mobile communication systems," China Communications, 12 (Supplement), 140-149, 2015.
15. Wang, T., G. Li, J. Ding, and Q. Miao, "5G Spectrum: Is China ready," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 7, 58-65, 2015. doi:10.1109/MCOM.2015.7158266
16. Alvey, G. R. and J. T. Bernhard, "Increasing isolation between multiple antennas with a grounded meander line structure,", U.S. Patent, No. US7701395.2010, 2010.
17. Pan, Y., Y. Cui, and R. Li, "Investigation of a triple-band multibeam MIMO antenna for wireless access points," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 4, 1234-1241, 2016. doi:10.1109/TAP.2016.2526082
18. Salonen, I. and P. Vainikainen, "Estimation of signal correlation in antenna arrays," Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Antennas, Vol. 2, 383-386, 2002.