A novel Vivaldi antenna utilizing a tapered slot edge with a stepped structure (TSESS) to achieve miniaturization is presented in this paper. Compared with a conventional Vivaldi antenna of the same size, the proposed TSESS significantly extends the low-end bandwidth limitation and also improves the low-end antenna gain and radiation characteristics. The proposed antenna is fabricated and tested for validating the reliability of the design. The measured results show reasonable agreement with simulated ones. Moreover, a good time-domain response is indicated from the measured group delay, showing that the antenna meets the requirements of a UWB system.
2. Marchais, C., G. L. Ray, and A. Sharaiha, "Stripline slot antenna for UWB communications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 319-322, 2006. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2006.878894
3. Wang, Z. D., Y. Z. Yin, J. J. Wu, and R. N. Lian, "A miniaturized CPW-fed antipodal Vivaldi antenna with ehanced radiation performance for wideband applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 16-19, 2015.
4. First Report and Order, "Revision of Part 15 of the Commission’s Rule Regarding Ultra-Wideband Transmission System FCC 02-48,", Federal Communications Commission, 2002.
5. Mehdipour, A., K. Mohammadpouraghdam, and R. Farajidana, "Complete dispersion analysis of Vivaldi antenna for ultra wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 85-96, 2007. doi:10.2528/PIER07072904
6. Ahmed, O. M. H. and A. R. Sebak, "A novel printed monopole antenna for future ultra-wideband communication systems," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 53, 1837-1841, 2011. doi:10.1002/mop.26113
7. Arya, A. K., R. S. Aziz, and S. O. Park, "Planar ultra-wideband printed wide-slot antenna using fork-like tuning stub," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, 550-551, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2015.0428
8. Gazit, E., "Improved design of the Vivaldi antenna," IEEE Proceedings H — Micros. Antennas Propag., Vol. 135, 89-92, 1988. doi:10.1049/ip-h-2.1988.0020
9. Yngvesson, K., T. Korzeniowski, Y. Kim, E. Kollberg, and J. Johansson, "The tapered slot antenna — A new integrated element for millimetre wave applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 37, 365-374, 1989. doi:10.1109/22.20062
10. Wu, J. N., Z. Q. Zhao, Z. P. Nie, and Q. H. Liu, "A printed UWB Vivaldi antenna using stepped connection structure between slot line and tapered patches," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 698-701, 2014. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2014.2314739
11. Ma, K., Z. Q. Zhao, J. N. Wu, M. S. Ellis, and Z. P. Nie, "A printed Vivaldi antenna with improved radiation patterns by using two pairs of eye-shaped slots for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 148, 63-71, 2014. doi:10.2528/PIER14043003
12. Fei, P., Y. C. Jiao, W. Hu, and F. S. Zhang, "A miniaturized antipodal Vivaldi antenna with improved radiation characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 127-130, 2011. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2011.2112329
13. Liu, Y., W. Zhou, S. Yang, and P. Li, "A novel miniaturized Vivaldi antenna using tapered slot edge with resonant cavity structure for ultra-wide band applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 1881-1884, 2016. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2016.2542269
14. Zhou, F., S. Gao, A. T. Ho, and R. A. Abd-Alhameed, "Miniaturized tapered slot antenna with signal rejection in 5–6-GHz band using a balun," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 507-510, 2012. doi:10.1109/LAWP.2012.2199276
15. Zhang, J., S. F. Liu, F. Wang, Z. Yang, and X. W. Shi, "A compact high-gain Vivaldi antenna with improved radiation characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 68, 127-133, 2017.
16. Pandey, G. K., H. Verma, and M. K. Meshram, "Compact antipodal Vivaldi antenna for UWB applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, 308-310, 2015. doi:10.1049/el.2014.3540
17. Zhu, F. G., S. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, and C. H. See, "Compact-size linearly tapered slot antenna for portable ultra-wideband imaging systems," International Journal RF. Microw. Computer, Vol. 23, 290-299, 2013. doi:10.1002/mmce.20673