A novel method is proposed and demonstrated to generate ultrahigh speed, ultrashort flat-top picosecond electrical pulses by combining laser pulse shaping with ultrafast electro-optics sampling technique. Starting with high repetition rate laser pulses, a sequence of birefringent crystals is employed to produce optical pulses with flat-top temporal profile and tunable duration. Subsequent measurement of optical waveforms by an ultrafast photodetector yields high-speed, ultrashort flat-top picosecond electrical pulses. By using two sets of YVO4 crystals for laser pulse shaping, we report on the generation of 704 MHz, 48 picoseconds and 704 MHz, 88 picoseconds flat-top electrical pulses with 16-30 picoseconds rise or fall time. To the best of our knowledge, these results are better than or comparable with the best performance using step recovery diodes and the direct electro-optics sampling technique.
Michael G. Zhao,
"Generation of Ultrahigh Speed, Ultrashort Flat-Top Picosecond Electrical Pulses by Laser Pulse Shaping and Ultrafast Electro-Optics Sampling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M,
Vol. 64, 35-41, 2018. doi:10.2528/PIERM17091903
1., "Pulse and waveform generation with step recovery diodes," Application Note, AN 918, Hewlett-Packard, Palo Alto, October 1984, Available at Hewlett-Packard HPRFhelp. doi:10.1109/LMWC.2017.2690880
2. Zou, L., S. Gupta, and C. Caloz, "A simple picosecond pulse generator based on a pair of step recovery diodes," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 27, 467, 2017. doi:10.1364/OE.22.006099
3. Mangold, M., C. A. Zaugg, S. M. Link, M. Golling, B. W. Tilma, and U. Keller, "Pulse repetition rate scaling from 5 to 100 GHz with a high-power semiconductor disk laser," Optics Express, Vol. 22, 6099, 2014. doi:10.1364/OE.22.006099
7. Zhou, S., D. Ouzounov, H. Li, I. Bazarov, B. Dunham, C. Sinclair, and F. W. Wise, "Efficient temporal shaping of ultrashort pulses with birefringent crystals," Applied Optics, Vol. 46, 8488, 2007. doi:10.1103/PhysRevSTAB.12.033501
8. Sharma, A. K., T. Tsang, and T. Rao, "Theoretical and experimental study of passive spatiotemporal shaping of picosecond laser pulses," Physical Review Special Topics - Accelerators & Beams, Vol. 12, 033501, 2009. doi:10.1364/AO.37.005302
9. Siders, C. W., J. L. W. Siders, A. J. Taylor, S.-G. Park, and A. M. Weiner, "Efficient high-energy pulse-train generation using a 2n-pulse Michelson interferometer," Applied Optics, Vol. 37, 5302, 1998. doi:10.1063/1.93306
10. Grischkowsky, D. and A. C. Balant, "Optical pulse compression based on enhanced frequency chirping," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 41, 1, 1982.